x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Something HPC-ish: MailBug

1 2
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2020-09-23 10:50 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I was looking for Korean PDAs with keyboard, and found a HPC-ish device called MailBug by an Australian company, in a Korean LG PDF document.

I thought I'd share with you guys:

https://mailbug.com/

I don't know, but they still seem to be selling these for $64.95 from Landel Telecom.

Edited by stingraze 2020-09-23 10:53 AM

(MailBug2012c1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments MailBug2012c1.jpg (23KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
Mjolnir Page Icon Posted 2020-09-23 11:32 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Interesting device though fairly large. "The actual dimensions of MailBug are 10.6 inches wide and 7 inches deep and 2.75 inches high. It weighs just under two pounds." Based out of California and the service costs $15.95 per month.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2020-09-23 11:37 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Mjolnir - 2020-09-23 8:32 PM
Based out of California

Ah yes, it seems they are made from USA (California). I thought I saw somewhere it was Australian, but I guess I was wrong. haha

I found the user manual for MailBug.

From the above Korean LG document, I found it also mentioning Cidco MailStation and discovered what it was. That device is pretty interesting too.

https://jcs.org/2019/05/03/mailstation

Edited by stingraze 2020-09-23 11:44 AM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2020-09-23 1:09 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Good lord! I'm traveling back in time to 2005 when this thing first came out.

Does anyone still have a landline based telephone system any more? Still, the SMS/MMS text feature would be nice for those without smartphones I guess.
 Top of the page
_dev-null Page Icon Posted 2020-09-23 1:20 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

I wonder how many people are left that still use this system?
 Top of the page
Mjolnir Page Icon Posted 2020-09-23 1:40 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Rich Hawley - 2020-09-23 1:09 PM

Does anyone still have a landline based telephone system any more? Still, the SMS/MMS text feature would be nice for those without smartphones I guess.
Yep, still got one. My Dad lived with me till he passed on. At the time I was working 6 ten hour days with a 90 mi. roundtrip so I got him one of those dongles with the button you push in an emergency. After his passing I just never got rid of the line. I put an answering machine on it and let it catch most of the telemarketers.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2020-09-23 5:28 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

What else can you do on this device besides reading e-mails?

Seems like the old Pocket PostPet had a broader range of uses, though built-in WiFi would've been nice.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2020-09-23 8:15 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Send emails…

Seriously, not much. User guide talks about linking a digital picture frame to it to download and view pictures.

Top of the page
Mobi Page Icon Posted 2020-09-24 3:15 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Rich Hawley - 2020-09-23 5:09 AM

I kind of have a landline. It's VOIP, with a Grandstream HT502 ATA so I can still dial out with my rotary (seriously).
 Top of the page
Mobi Page Icon Posted 2020-09-24 3:16 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Rich Hawley - 2020-09-23 12:15 PM

Send emails…

Seriously, not much. User guide talks about linking a digital picture frame to it to download and view pictures.

I suppose if you have your own server, you could sendmail yourself stuff... But the device appears to have a $16 monthly subscription price.

Edited by Mobi 2020-09-24 3:17 AM
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2020-09-24 5:06 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Rich Hawley - 2020-09-23 10:09 PM
Does anyone still have a landline based telephone system any more?

I had a "real" landline until a few months ago, but it's now VoIP in FTTH. I don't connect any phone to it though... lol
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2020-09-24 10:52 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I still have a land line, unfortunately, not that I've used it in the last 15 years until literally yesterday when EE went down and my cell phone wouldn't make or receive calls
I was still 17 minutes late to the call because of having to actually find a phone for it
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2020-09-24 12:23 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Not to hijack the thread, until my mama died last year she had a standard landline phone and jack. This was in the nursing home room. She never understood smartphones and was untrainable.

I had purchased her a Ceiva digital picture frame. It would dial up using the landline at midnight and download pics I had uploaded to the Ceiva server. She got a real kick out of it and waited every day to see what I sent.

Family pics, old and new, cute kitten and bunny pics, pics of our hurricane weather… just anything interesting. When the memory card was full, the newest pics automatically replaced the old.

Old phone lines do have a purpose…
 Top of the page
GaryLee Page Icon Posted 2020-09-24 11:57 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

There was a wireless version of the Cidco MailStation, but it wasn't WiFi. It used a cordless phone style wireless connection.

Years ago someone gave an old mailbug and 2 or 3 of the Cidco units. There was a group interested in re-flashing them into something like the older tandy model 100 laptops. These "email appliances" were based on Chinese system on a chip with a z-80 core
 Top of the page
hpcboy Page Icon Posted 2020-10-25 1:20 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

This is what the website claims:
Absolutely the easiest way to send and receive email … without a computer!
A simple email appliance that anyone can use — simple, no skills required, virus-free, inexpensive, and no contracts.

And another highlighted feature:
You can now easily and automatically view pictures sent to your MailBug! Using a separate digital picture frame and linking it to your MailBug account, any photos sent as email attachments to your MailBug can be automatically displayed on the picture frame. Hang it on the wall, or place on your table. Watch all of your pictures in a continuous slideshow.

If I want to get one,
MailBug is inexpensive. The MailBug device is just $64.95, and email service is only $15.95 per month.

Are they really still selling these? It still looks rather difficult for people who are not disposed to using smart devices to operate this machine.

Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 13