x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

My latest Compaq C Series

Lancelot Page Icon Posted 2020-10-01 8:41 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Just received a delivery from the UK today and I am stoked.
I purchased on eBay a working Compaq 2930A along with docking station and most importantly.... the DATA cable... YAY.
When I had a look on the underside of the device I was pleasantly surprised to find it was a 2010C, with built in modem, not the 2015C I was expecting. The power plug is a Sony 6v UK version so that will go into recycling.
Also, along with the 2930A was an Olivetti DaVinci and Palm M100 PDA, both working. Not sure what I shall do with these yet...

But the most surprising thing to me is that I was the only bidder and I picked up the lot for only $18 (£ 10), postage + Tax was about $60 from UK to AUS. So, for $70 this is a nice little bargain.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2020-10-01 12:48 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Moved to Handheld PC General Discussion

Nice little haul
 Top of the page
ken680428 Page Icon Posted 2020-10-14 5:13 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I bought off of eBay a Compaq 2930A that has a builtin modem as well. But it is not portable because no battery was included just a cover for the proprietary NiMH battery (not included) and had a broken left hinge. I fixed the hinge with a soldering iron and found a compatible adapter. So it is a desk only machine. Later on I bought a Casio Cassiopeia A-11 but it's touchscreen was not working so it is either a parts machine or a future repair. I then found a Compaq C140 with carrying case. That one is working perfectly and is now my everyday carry device. By the way the A-11 had CE 2.0 in it, and the C140 had CE 1.0 in it. I swapped the modules and now my C140 has CE 2.0. I already knew this would work because the C140 is just a rebadged A-11 made for Compaq by Casio.

Kenneth Finch
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2020-10-23 6:57 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Good memories with the C-Series - that was my first H/PC - I had the 2010c gosh I hated the keyboard on that thing hahaha. I also had the Velo 1, 360LX and one of the Velo PSPCs.
I loved the monochrome devices though.

I wish I had tried out the Casio. The one "H/PC" that I always was fascinated by was C:Amie's review for the IBM Workpad thing. That thing looked like a beast
 Top of the page
hpcboy Page Icon Posted 2020-10-23 9:58 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

torch - 2020-10-24 1:57 AM

I'm glad it's not only me today still having a soft spot for monochrome devices, ... and AA batteries.
 Top of the page
smb_gaiden Page Icon Posted 2020-10-23 5:22 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

hpcboy - 2020-10-23 1:58 AM

torch - 2020-10-24 1:57 AM

I'm glad it's not only me today still having a soft spot for monochrome devices, ... and AA batteries.

Count me in! So much so that I was even looking for an ARM-based machine that took AA batteries, but wound up finding nothing
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2020-10-23 8:42 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I know, that would have been the perfect device - like a Jornada 708 that was monochrome

I wish I had fonder memories of my 2010c. Did the keyboards on the later C-Series improve upon the one on that?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2020-10-24 1:01 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

torch - 2020-10-22 10:57 PM

Good memories with the C-Series - that was my first H/PC - I had the 2010c gosh I hated the keyboard on that thing hahaha. I also had the Velo 1, 360LX and one of the Velo PSPCs.

Slight correction, torch: the Philips Palm-size PC series was called the Nino.
 Top of the page
hpc12 Page Icon Posted 2020-10-24 9:18 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Monochrome devices can be a joy to use. I particularly enjoy the construction of the Cassiopeia A-11. The keyboards make it extremely difficult to type anything lengthy on them, though.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2020-10-24 10:33 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I used to have a Mobile Pro 400. That was good device. The keyboard was a little bit not my style, but I guess most Handheld PCs from that area were like that.
 Top of the page
hpcboy Page Icon Posted 2020-10-24 11:06 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Agree. The earliest HPCs and Palmtop PCs use the same keyboard design intended for calculators and electronic dictionaries, practically undermining their more advanced functionalities (being advertised as "PC companion" or "computer extender" compared with those devices.
 Top of the page
ken680428 Page Icon Posted 2022-02-08 6:19 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

As far as the desk only Compaq 2930 (2010c) I traded it and the nonworking Casio A11 for a Casio mini dock to Wally on this board. I had recently bought another Compaq 2930 (2010c) that had the AC adapter and dock but the battery in it was destroyed by age and had leaked and eaten its ribbon wiring beyond use. But I ordered some flat-top AA NiMh cells from eBay and spot welded them together then soldered them in. Now it works fine as a portable and will replace my Casio A11 as my everyday carry device.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 11