x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Jornada 720/8 hardware retrofit

1 2 3
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2020-10-10 1:32 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Jax184 is one of our members who was active here several years ago.
 Top of the page
dreieck Page Icon Posted 2022-12-18 1:54 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I would really love that idea.

Why? Because the hp720/728's keyboard is the best small keyboard I have ever had. Much better than my Psion 5 mx pro's (too hard to press), much better than GPD Pocket's (althouth the GPD Pocket has larger keys, I more often miss the right keys there, I think it is because the keys are just flat, where the jornada's keys are shaped). Maybe similar than Gemini PDA.

I would love to have the RAM (8 GiB minimum), storage (best: M.2 slot) and CPU-power to use the Jornada as my daily laptop. For reading and writing and surfing ...

I also had the idea if the mainboard could be swapped for something new (retaining the original screen and of course the keyboard). Unfortunately, I cannot develop circuit boards and solder small-pitched SMD ICs. I am fine with 1.27mm-soldering and breadboard soldering and milling plastic cases and so, but that's it. I also have no proficiency in digital protocols at bit level. So I never took off with this project, since it seemed no solution available to fit in a small modern compute board and connect display and keyboard.

Regards!
 Top of the page
dl1av Page Icon Posted 2022-12-18 7:26 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Maybe the Astro will fit your needs. If it does not become vaporware

It has the form factor, keyboard with seperate keys and computing power.

But you are right: the Jornadas keys are the best ever made for such a device. Even better than the 5MXs.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2022-12-18 7:32 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

dl1av - 2022-12-18 4:26 PM

But you are right: the Jornadas keys are the best ever made for such a device. Even better than the 5MXs.

Astro isn't vaporware (at least here in Japan)
It's sold here already.

Last sold here on Yahoo auction is 12/1, and was sold as early as July 9th.

I guess that is not the case everywhere else?

-stingraze
 Top of the page
dreieck Page Icon Posted 2022-12-18 9:48 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

dl1av - 2022-12-18 8:26 AM

Do you mean this device?

Is it mainline Linux kernel capable (or capable to run any new linux kernel with some open source -- thus hope to be maintainable -- patches)?

This was the exclusion criterion for all the earlier Planet Computer-devices, that it is locked to some Linux kernel provided by the manufacturer.

For now it is a GPD MicroPC with some hardware mods.

Edited by dreieck 2022-12-18 9:49 AM
 Top of the page
dl1av Page Icon Posted 2022-12-18 6:36 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

stingraze - 2022-12-18 8:32 AM

Astro isn't vaporware (at least here in Japan)
It's sold here already.

Last sold here on Yahoo auction is 12/1, and was sold as early as July 9th.

I guess that is not the case everywhere else?

-stingraze

Yes, there are rumours that some people who ordered via the website already got their Astro. Some multiplicators in the scene perhaps got one, too, but the sources are not reliable for that matter.

There are about 6000 people in the queue from the Indigogo campain (me, too) who are waiting to get one for their donation to start production two years ago but there is no communication by Planetcom if or when anyone would get their hands on an Astro.
I donated about 550EUR which is half the price they call on the website now.

Maybe only every other donor will get their sample

Rumour is that till now only about 200 Astros are really manufactured and shipped.

So by all indicators it seems to be vaporware.

@dreieck: yes, it's the Astro I suggested. But the Linux-support is not verified at the moment because noone has an Astro to try it
I prefer my Pocket PC because it is standard Intel architecture but I would like it to have a better keyboard and another screen form factor.

Stefan

Edited by dl1av 2022-12-18 6:40 PM
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2022-12-18 10:53 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Not a rumor....I received my Astro in June....works great....

And many others have received theirs too.

yes, there are still some people waiting for theirs, but Planet is shipping them as they receive them in their HK warehouse.

Been very difficult situation with production in China the past several years....due to the pandemic.

Not vaporware.

Hope you receive yours soon.

Top of the page
dl1av Page Icon Posted 2022-12-19 4:55 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Did you get it via the Indiegogo-campaign ? Do you have some pics? How about Linux, did you try to install something else than Android?

I heard that some Astros were sold in Japan for a regular price.

Before they vanished totally from their communication and regular updates in October only a few devices were thrown out to the folks with Indiegogo.

I think the project got totally out of their plan. They got around 1,2Mio Euros net from the Indiegogo-campaign.
One has to live through the Corona-years and the manufactoring costs doubled these days.

It's not very reasonable to think that a larger amount of that money ist left so the 6000 Indiegogo-Astros have to be paid from the income for the Astros they regular sell. So they started selling in Japan before caring for the Indiegogo-campain but I don't think that even there the market is big enough that every sold Astro pays another one for an Indiegogo-donor.

OK, if I get one sometimes for my 500Euro it is really cheap for a novelty but I doubt that I get lucky to get one.

Some folks who really want to have one and don't care for the money have ordered an additional regular one in Japan but that's not worth the momey for me even if else I have to write the 500 Euros off

Stefan
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2022-12-19 6:17 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Yes.

Here's some pics...although please note the vertical wide black lines on display in some pics are not visible to my eyes when I look at phone. Have no idea what causes them in photos unless some kind of light reflection in my office. And sorry for the one sideways pic....

I have not tried installing linux. Waiting for Planet to release it.

I did install linux on my Cosmo and Gemini. Worked fine.

Yes, Planet sold some Astros to backers on Makuake (spelling?).

They have not totally vanished from communications. They have unfortunately, become less frequent than before. Again, it's probably due to fact there's a pandemic in China and until just recently, have had barbaric lockdowns in the country. Planet cannot control situation in China.

They are shipping devices to people as the factory produces them and ships them to their Hong Kong warehouse and then ships them to backers from there.

You will very likely need to be very patient, but I think you will eventually get your Astro.

Very unfortunate situation with Astro, unlike Cosmo and Gemini, but you can't blame Planet for situation in China. However, I do understand your frustration waiting for Astro. I had to wait over 2 years as I was early backer, so, it was frustrating for me too, but I have mine now for 6+ months and enjoy it every day.

And I do understand your frustration with Planet with their infrequent and sparse words about shipping situation. They could do a better job in that department. But they are very frustrated with situation too as I can imagine and I would guess has been a financial disaster.

Hope yours comes soon.

Best,

Mark

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-12-19 6:22 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

My initial thought was that the vertical lines look like there is some sort of problem in the polarisation filter... yet they also appear to be moving, so that would seem to suggest not. It's a bit like 50 vs 60Hz scan lines if it is moving :S
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2022-12-19 6:27 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

C:Amie - 2022-12-19 10:22 AM

My initial thought was that the vertical lines look like there is some sort of problem in the polarisation filter... yet they also appear to be moving, so that would seem to suggest not. It's a bit like 50 vs 60Hz scan lines if it is moving :S

Thanks for your input, C:......

Again to be clear, I do not see these lines when I look at my Astro display. Wonder if it's related to taking pics under a fluorescent light fixture over the table in my office.

Also, notice the photo showing HPCFactor home page in Firefox. I don't see any lines. Think I moved Astro to try and minimize light reflections and/or refraction.
 Top of the page
dl1av Page Icon Posted 2022-12-19 7:21 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Cool, thank you very much for real pics. It really looks like one of the old Psions.

This is the first believable source for me to get some firsthand insights on the Astro.

As I understand it Planetcom is now kind of a one-man-business. The website imprints address points to a common home in a small town. Maybe the bosses personal address.

I don't care for "most recent hardware" or "cpu-power" - I just want my Psion back with an actual OS with at least some standard software for Internet and Office. The Astro may fit these needs and I don't really care how long it takes.

Maybe I will get one in one or two years (I am in the #5000er range), let's hope that he can generate enough revenue with actual sales so that the Indiegogo donors can be satisfied, too.

Overall for me this is a "future project" that now leaves free time to get some other interesting palmtops

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and pictures

Stefan
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2022-12-19 7:33 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Sure, Stefan, glad to share info.

I truly hope you get your Astro in near future.

And yes, I would not be surprised if there are very people actually part of Planet now.

I would guess there were about 6 - 10 people in London a year ago....now I would guess it might be Janko and one or two others....
Just my guess.

Best,

Mark
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-12-19 7:48 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

ArchiMark - 2022-12-19 6:27 PM

C:Amie - 2022-12-19 10:22 AM

Thanks for your input, C:......

Again to be clear, I do not see these lines when I look at my Astro display. Wonder if it's related to taking pics under a fluorescent light fixture over the table in my office.

Also, notice the photo showing HPCFactor home page in Firefox. I don't see any lines. Think I moved Astro to try and minimize light reflections and/or refraction.

If it's the polarisation filter you wouldn't see anything, neither the refresh. But yes, the camera CCD could be set to 50/60Hz and the lights set to the opposite, creating an interference pattern and explaining why it is moving.
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2022-12-19 7:51 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Thanks for the explanation....makes sense.....

Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 9