x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

[FREE:GLOBAL] Replacement Stylus for HP Jornada (6xx/7xx)

1 2
hpcboy Page Icon Posted 2020-10-04 3:16 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Found a bunch of replacement stylii for the HP Jornada (6xx/7xx) in my treasure chest. They are one-piece hard plastic without the spring mechanism as in the original design. There are 9 of these in total. Not sure who made them.

There are some scratch marks around the middle part of the barrel, but they all look fine otherwise.

Just want to do something to give back to the community. If you need a spare stylus or a replacement, just let me know. I can send it to you free, and you just need to pay for the postage (should be very cheap for a small lightweight object like this).
 Top of the page
hpcboy Page Icon Posted 2020-10-07 10:02 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

No one interested, or afraid of scam from a newcomer?
In fact I didn't buy them specifically (they came with so many other stuff in a huge lot) and I'm not planning to make a profit out of these. I think I won't sell them anytime soon. They will just be here for anyone who needs a replacement.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2020-10-08 1:36 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

It's a very generous offer. I personally already have spare Jornada styli for my 690 and 728. Have patience, though - I'm sure there are others who can use them.
 Top of the page
robertojones Page Icon Posted 2020-10-08 4:40 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

If you're struggling to find people to take them, I'd be interested in borrowing one to model it in CAD - I've had the idea for a while that it would be handy to be able to 3D print replacement ones. I could then pass it on to another member of this site. I'd put me at the back of the queue though, I don't own a Jornada so I wouldn't want to deprive someone who's going to properly use it.
 Top of the page
hpcboy Page Icon Posted 2020-10-09 12:00 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Thanks, robertojones. I can send you one as your CAD sample (my skills are not up to that yet). But would this cause any infringement issue here?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2020-10-09 6:36 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Let HP come and complain. Something tells me they won't.

Seriously, though - considering that there are already aftermarket styli for nearly every handheld device known to mankind, I doubt it'll be a problem.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2020-10-09 7:05 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Unless hp had a patent on it that they were enforcing, it's a free dinner
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2020-10-09 7:34 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Even if they did, it would've expired by now.
 Top of the page
robertojones Page Icon Posted 2020-10-09 8:48 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Thanks everyone, I have to admit I'd not even thought of that! But good to know I'm unlikely to get anyone in trouble doing this. I'm quite amused by the idea of someone at HP getting upset by me 3D printing a few styluses (styli?) though - "This guy's trying to take the replacement Jornada stylus market from us! Take him down!"

If I manage to produce anything usable I'll send them out for postage cost, like hpcboy's doing here. I think the CAD model will be the most useful part of this endeavour though.

hpcboy - I'll PM you to make the necessary arrangements then. Thank you!
 Top of the page
hpcboy Page Icon Posted 2020-10-17 5:07 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I've just wrapped and packaged the stylus for Rob (8 left now). It should be on its way either this afternoon or Monday morning.

Learned a new small trick today. A simple rubber eraser can do something good about minor scratches on plastic surface. Now the stylii all look a bit better now.

Top of the page
hpcboy Page Icon Posted 2020-11-11 11:58 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Thanks to Rob for his CAD work, here is a test print of the 3D model.

The main body prints okay, but the clip is a bit too thin and can be made thicker (2x or 3x).

From top to bottom: Original stylus, replacement stylus, 3D print

Edited by hpcboy 2020-11-11 12:05 PM

(Test print 1a.jpg)

(Test print 1b.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Test print 1a.jpg (155KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments Test print 1b.jpg (117KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
jorel101 Page Icon Posted 2020-12-02 4:03 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Still have any left? I'd like two please if possible
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2020-12-03 1:36 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Hi,

I could use 4 if still available...I hadn't seen this "once in a lifetime offer" until now...several of mine are cracked or have broken clips... I made one from a wooden dowel.

This is an "offer I can't refuse". How do I pay for shipping? PM me I guess with details. And many thanks in advance!! I'll even send a few extra bucks for your effort and generosity.

Posted from my Jornada720 running on Devuan/X11/RasPi!!

Edited by joval 2020-12-03 1:48 AM
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-01-10 8:14 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

robertojones - 2020-10-08 8:40 AM

If you're struggling to find people to take them, I'd be interested in borrowing one to model it in CAD - I've had the idea for a while that it would be handy to be able to 3D print replacement ones. I could then pass it on to another member of this site. I'd put me at the back of the queue though, I don't own a Jornada so I wouldn't want to deprive someone who's going to properly use it.

Hi Robert!

Any chance you or someone would share the 3D CAD/printer file so we can print our own.Thanks in advance.

Joval
 Top of the page
robertojones Page Icon Posted 2021-01-10 10:28 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hi Joval,

hpcboy tested my initial model for me - He came back to me some time ago with a minor proposed mod that I've still not done - I'll make this change in the next couple days and then I'll share the model.

Rob
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 11