x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

3COM Wifi Card on HP Jornada 720

Atlas Page Icon Posted 2020-10-06 11:26 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi everyone,
I recently picked up a HP Jornada 720 for cheap at a flee market. I know bought myself a wifi card:
3COM OfficeConnect 11Mbps Wireless LAN (3CRSHPW796).
It's listed on this site as compatible with the 720.
But it doesn't get recognized by the device in Control Panel.
I tried finding drivers for it, but I can't seem to find any that works.
Anyone knows how to set it up for the device?
(Just as an option, it may be that the wifi card is not working, I have no other device I can try it in)
 Top of the page
hpcboy Page Icon Posted 2020-10-06 11:46 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

How about this one? (sorry! )
[link deleted as the downloads link look dubious]

But since it's a slow wifi card, once connected it will become a drag in the whole network.

Edited by hpcboy 2020-10-06 11:49 AM
 Top of the page
Atlas Page Icon Posted 2020-10-06 2:28 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Speed is not really a concern at the moment, I'm just doing it for fun.
But what WiFi Card would you recommend?
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2020-10-06 3:04 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Aironet cards are always the most compatible ones. Driver for them comes built in on the OS itself (the aironet apps you can find on the start menu). The problem with them is that they are quite old and only connect to open Wi-Fi networks. My solution for that was to create a hidden guest SSID network that has no password. I use this network with all my old HPCs. It is not super secure, but at least the signal is confined only inside my house anyway, and I made the SSID hidden so it won’t broadcast the network name.
 Top of the page
can't remember Page Icon Posted 2020-10-06 3:25 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

If you need connectivity just for fun I recommend getting a NE2000 compatible Ethernet card. If you really want WiFi take a look at the HCL on this website (I can't find your exact model on the list, you may be out of luck, maybe the driver for the very similar 3CRSHPW696 works). If you want my mostly uninformed recommendation: a Cisco Aironet 350 is good, it works well and if for some reason you can't donate here (downloads require a donation), with some luck you should be able to find the drivers and firmware on other websites (or if you can't find them you can send me a message and I'll upload them for you).
Edit: as ntware said Aironet usually works with the built in driver, in my case it didn't and that's why I had to get a newer driver (maybe the previous owner upgraded the firmware, but I'm just speculating).

Edited by can't remember 2020-10-06 3:29 PM
 Top of the page
kennytaylor661 Page Icon Posted 2020-10-06 5:10 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

The Proxim/Orinoco/Lucent WaveLAN Silver cards are a pretty good bet for Window CE. They're not supported natively, but the driver is in the HCL on this site. I used them successfully on the HP 320LX, 620LX, Jornada 720, and Jornada 820's back in the day.

Driver here:
https://www.hpcfactor.com/hcl/detail.asp?hcdid=476&pn=5&categoryId=12&strSortBy=&hclq=&gowince=1%2C3%2C5%2C7%2C10
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2020-10-07 9:53 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The driver and monitor for the 3CRWE62092B are here:
https://www.hpcfactor.com/downloads/results.asp?freetext=alpaxo
 Top of the page
Atlas Page Icon Posted 2020-10-07 11:12 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

ntware - 2020-10-06 4:04 PM
the aironet apps you can find on the start menu

Thanks for the tip, I look into it, but I had a look and there are no aironet apps in my start menu. Is it still nativly compatible?
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2020-10-07 5:02 PM
#
H/PC Elite

All J720s I had (both english and brazilian portuguese editions) have the Aironet Setup utility (Start -> Programs -> Communication -> Aironet Setup). If it is not there, you can still download the driver from HCL here. Actually, HCL is the best place for you to download drivers and make sure cards are compatible: https://www.hpcfactor.com/hcl/search.asp?categoryId=12&hclq=&discok=1&butSearch=Go
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 13