x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Karpour Page Icon Posted 2021-03-03 12:24 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

It's funny, I can pinpoint my fascination with Handheld PCs to an exact moment where I saw a HP 320lx in a catalog. Wish I had kept it, but I was very young back then!

It just completely blew my mind that you could have something that looked and felt like Windows 95 in such a tiny device. I was very lucky to randomly find a HP320lx at a flea market of an American school in Vienna some time later for a very good price (my dad bought it for me because he knew how much I was into Handhelds, despite never having owned one), and I remember having so much fun with it
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2021-03-03 12:50 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I had the same feeling when I saw the first H/PCs in department store ads. But I wasn't willing to pay the prices they were selling for. Then I started seeing used ones selling cheap on eBay and I got turned on all over again. The rest, as they say, is history.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-03-03 3:14 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

CE Geek - 2021-03-03 12:50 PM

I had the same feeling when I saw the first H/PCs in department store ads. But I wasn't willing to pay the prices they were selling for. Then I started seeing used ones selling cheap on eBay and I got turned on all over again. The rest, as they say, is history.
Isn't that the same story you tell about how you met your other half?
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-03-03 4:41 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Refurbished??!!

Joval
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2021-03-03 6:45 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Bite your tongue, C:Amie.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-03-04 9:13 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

No sir, never me sir!
 Top of the page
null1024 Page Icon Posted 2021-03-22 11:41 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

CE Geek - 2021-03-03 8:50 AM

Yeah, this was what got me to attempt to get a Jornada 680 recently.

I remember absolutely years ago, seeing all the cool handheld PC stuff in mail-order catalogs, but it just absolutely wasn't happening for me at full price. Back in the day, I ended up being a Palm guy, with a Palm m100, and was given a Sony Clie that I used a bunch until it just stopped powering on one day.
Still, I really did want a CE device like mad at the time, especially with a keyboard.

Lately, I found myself thinking about how much I'd love a nice, small computer with a keyboard again, and now I'm here.
 Top of the page
tchart Page Icon Posted 2021-05-04 3:22 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I remember seeing early Casio's in store in the early 2000's and being blown away. They were still very much out of my budget until I happened across the BE-300 (and CE Geek knows all about that).

After a long break I've finally returned to the world of handhelds and kicked off a new collection!

They are just such awesome devices. I mean many of them run on 2 AA batteries, that in itself is amazing!

Although I must admin my eye sight mustve been a lot better when they first came out as the mono LCD screens are hard to read without the backlight on.
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2021-05-04 11:36 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

I saw a handheld for the first time in a magazine, then at Office Depot in person. This was back in the grayscale era. Loved them, my favorite being the Psion 5. (Keyboard just so cool) Then I saw they started releasing color handhelds with powerful processors that could do everything my aging desktop could. Back in the late 90's, I pretty much just browsed the web, chatting on AOL and IRC. Would have loved to have a handheld during that time, connected to my phone line watching people claim their little kiddie scripts were better than others.

Fast forward to today and I have quite a few handhelds in varying sizes. You'd be surprised just how much my Psion 5 gets used. Love that thing. Even got a friend to make a switch as he writes a lot and needed something very portable since he's often on busses. Sometimes, less is more. Less distraction equals more work.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-08-12 9:30 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

My first Handheld PC was a Sigmarion 1. I think I got it around 2003 or 2004. I'm not sure.

I bought it in Yahoo Auctions at that time for about 7000 JPY (About $58.00 USD at 2003 USD/JPY rate).
Considering it was sold originally along with a contract with PHS (P-in Comp@ct) etc. it was really affordable.
What's cool about this handheld is that it is Zero Halliburton design.

I didn't really use the device for writing, but got into this whole server administration thing using CEHTTP and my ADSL environment. I used to use analog modem connection before, but it was before I got into Handheld PCs.

The Handheld PC had a port of Apache, but CEHTTP was much more stable.
Some more information in Japanese here: http://urana.info/mobile/cehttp/adslserver/index.html

Fast forward to 2021, I use a Cosmo Communicator to ssh into my servers (VPS) and do some things there through command line, and also listen to cybersecurity podcasts like cyberwire and SANS Security Podcast via the Google Podcast app.

What's amazing though is that you could do what I do basically back in 2003 or 2004 too!

Edited by stingraze 2021-08-12 9:48 PM
 Top of the page
PDXMark Page Icon Posted 2021-08-13 2:23 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Since we're reminiscing....I started with a Royal daVinci PDA, then a Palm m100 through work. After getting the Palm, I remember being blown away seeing a copier repair guy with a Palm and portable keyboard. I convinced my manager to pay for a keyboard for me, and the Palm became my companion at every work meeting. I loved the stares and questions when people would see me open the keyboard and attach the Palm for the first time.

Graduated to an iPaq 3850 (with keyboard), and then stumbled across HPCs (and HPC:Factor) while researching "large-screen pdas". Bought a Compaq Aero 8000 in 2005, and have gone through a number of HPCs since. I still have a Jornada 720 and MobilePro 880 (890) that get some use. I go back and forth between the Jornada and a One Netbook 1s Yoga as my primary device alongside my phone.
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-08-14 5:06 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

HPC:Fan - 2021-05-04 3:36 AM

Less distraction equals more work.

Agree!

Joval
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum: