x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

HPC Notes 4.3 Professional installer missing CAB?

1 2
hpcboy Page Icon Posted 2020-10-13 3:13 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I was trying to install HPC Notes 4.3 Professional Edition using the file named "hpcnotespro.exe" from the download page https://www.hpcfactor.com/scl/1066/PhatWare_Corp/HPC_Notes/version_4.3?page=download but found that the installer is actually for Palm OS devices and there is no step or file for installing to HPC.

Does anyone have a working version for the HPCs? Thanks!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2020-10-13 6:24 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Nope, I cannot seem to find it.
 Top of the page
hpc12 Page Icon Posted 2020-10-14 12:25 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I have a copy of the installation for v430, from a commercial CD years ago. Not sure if this would work for you. However, is it not still Payware?
 Top of the page
hpcboy Page Icon Posted 2020-10-14 3:54 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Yes, it is. But it seems not possible to purchase it anymore (not available on www.phatware.com for years ... tracking down with archive.org). I just want to test it out and how well it goes with the desktop program.

hpc12, would it be possible for you to upload just the installer file to SCL to replace the incorrect file there?

Edited by hpcboy 2020-10-14 3:57 AM
 Top of the page
hpc12 Page Icon Posted 2020-10-14 9:56 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Yes I'd be delighted to. Let me see if I can manage it.

-edit- can someone please walk me through process? I've read the SCL page, but can't find the linked thread for submissions.

Edited by hpc12 2020-10-14 10:00 AM
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2020-10-14 12:33 PM
#
H/PC Elite

You need super powers to be able to do that. Ask C:Amie.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2020-10-15 9:05 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Unfortunately the file you uploaded is 4.3 standard, the file of which is already showing in the SCL.
 Top of the page
hpc12 Page Icon Posted 2020-10-15 11:23 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

My apologies, I selected the wrong file! I have re-uploaded the installer that works for me. I've noticed it's very similar in size to the one on the SCL but I guarantee it works to install HPC Notes 4.3 pro on my MobilePros.
 Top of the page
hpcboy Page Icon Posted 2020-10-15 11:33 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Thanks, hpc12. I downloaded the file "hpcnotespro.exe" from https://www.hpcfactor.com/scl/1066/PhatWare_Corp/HPC_Notes/version_4.3?page=download again. However, installation still only shows the option to install on Palm OS devices and not HPC. Or is it the correct link? I found the downloads a bit confusing as there are several pages for different versions.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2020-10-15 11:52 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

hpcboy, hpc12 had uploaded it to me, not to the SCL. hpc12's file is now in the SCL.
 Top of the page
hpcboy Page Icon Posted 2020-10-15 1:29 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Thanks again, hpc12 and C:Amie for your big help.

A little progress: This time I removed the previous installation and went over again using the updated upload on SCL. During installation, there was the same popup windows letting me to choose what to install. Again I didn't see any option for HPC or PPC.

Then at the end of the installation process, there was only a notification saying the Palm OS file will be installed during next HotSync. Right after I close the installation window, a small popup saying "Starting ActiveSync Manager" appeared for a couple of seconds and then disappeared. Nothing happened on the HPC end.

Is it just me or has anyone successfully installed this version?

Edited by hpcboy 2020-10-15 1:36 PM
 Top of the page
hpc12 Page Icon Posted 2020-10-15 10:21 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

hpcboy - 2020-10-15 1:29 PM

Is it just me or has anyone successfully installed this version?

Hi hpcboy,

I'm using:

MobilePro 770/780 - factory reset one just to check it wasn't a fluke.

Windows XP with ActiveSync 3.8 - fresh installed this just in case it also wasn't a fluke.

Could it be a setup/architecture issue? Am not experienced with this sort of thing.

No issues here with the version I sent. -edit- fixed images

Edited by hpc12 2020-10-15 10:23 PM
 Top of the page
hpcboy Page Icon Posted 2020-10-16 10:14 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I suspect my case has to do with WMDC. My PC is running Win10 which does not support the old ActiveSync anymore, although the newer WMDC can still be made to work. These days I found activesync errors often, which seems to happen after the latest Windows Update (now one more thing being broken...).
I will try again using my good old Casio Cassiopeia Five MPC-103 which runs 98 to see if my J720 can finally get there.
 Top of the page
hpcboy Page Icon Posted 2020-10-16 5:20 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Update:

The installation went well on my Casio Fiva (Win98). Using ActiveSync 3.8, HPC Notes Professional got installed on my Jornada!

Some screenshots:

(the full version of the adventure is recorded here: https://solochampion.blogspot.com/2020/10/book-of-jornada-chapter-6-hpc-notes.html )

Meanwhile ...
Two issues to resolve:
(1) During the installation process, I couldn't see the stage where files can be chosen to be copied to the storage card instead of the system memory. Perhaps I need to run the installer again to see if I was missing something there.
(2) WMDC indeed seems to work differently than the old ActiveSync (and thankfully after the latest Windows Update more things get broken). I am going to research the possibility to get ActiveSync working again even under Win10.

Edited by hpcboy 2020-10-16 5:22 PM
 Top of the page
hpc12 Page Icon Posted 2020-10-16 9:18 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

hpcboy - 2020-10-16 5:20 PM

Update:

The installation went well on my Casio Fiva (Win98). Using ActiveSync 3.8, HPC Notes Professional got installed on my Jornada!
(1) During the installation process, I couldn't see the stage where files can be chosen to be copied to the storage card instead of the system memory. Perhaps I need to run the installer again to see if I was missing something there.
(2) WMDC indeed seems to work differently than the old ActiveSync (and thankfully after the latest Windows Update more things get broken). I am going to research the possibility to get ActiveSync working again even under Win10.

Glad it's all working now. One of the glaring omissions from Windows CE had to be a Sticky note-like program. It was sorely missed back in the day, especially given the purpose these devices were intended to fill! I wonder if there are any other CE 1, 2, or HPC2000 sticky-notes type programs, where you can write directly onto a GDI desktop window?

With regards to selecting installation on storage card, this option wasn't presented to me either. Is it normally?

As for Activesync, one of the benefits of staying within the general hardware & software of the era is maximum compatibility. However, convenience is pushed to the wayside as one must manage ecosystems from multiple eras, reducing the modern usefulness of such devices.

Great photos in the blog posts, wasn't even aware that Casio made Windows 98 machines.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 10