x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

HPC Notes 4.3 Professional installer missing CAB?

1 2
Jake Page Icon Posted 2020-10-16 10:42 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
I've always liked HPCNotes, but its cross-platform abilities aren't nearly as good as HanDBase. HanDBase for PPC will run on WinCE/Redgear and HanDBase is truly cross platform--WinCE, Android, Windows, Linux (WINE).

HanDBase is still supported, and I found their developers to be both generous with their time and topnotch with their help.

FWIW,
Jake
 Top of the page
hpcboy Page Icon Posted 2020-10-16 11:56 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Except for Android HPC Notes is also quite cross-platform in a way (should also work in wine without trouble). It's interesting that when during the Palm era this app was almost unheard of. Perhaps because of its "HPC" title that felt at odd with the Palm fanbase?

Never used HanDBase before but knew it's a top pick on the PDA platforms. It seems different as its primarily database oriented. Does it also work as an outliner or notetaker? Thanks for your strong recommendation I will surely give it a try.

What do you think of ListPro? It seems ListPro is kinda similar to HanDBase. I have brief experience with it and found it "easy to use, hard to master", with virtually limitless possibilities. Apart from mere lists, some even use it for PIM and GTD! Definitely worth exploring in the future. Also available for Windows, WM/PPC/HPC, iPhone, and Palm OS.
Should also run fine in Wine. Like HanDBase
it is still available and supported.

Actually my most wanted app is Bonsai (legacy app). However the only version for WM doesn't seem to work on HPC2000. The outlining and sorting features are imho even better than HPC Notes.

I guess it would be fun if we can do some in-depth study and comparison of all these gems.

I am always in awe of this kind of productivity apps. Fast, lightweight, user friendly, portable, elegant, no frills.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2020-10-17 3:30 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
A nice thing about HanDBase is that each database is a separate file. If I remember correctly, HPCNotes works with one big file--am I right about that? It's been so long.

My database needs are so simple that I have just Subject and Note categories, prolly 20 databases in all with 5 to 60 entries in each. So your use would be more sophisticated, I'm sure. I use them to collect ideas/rewrites about sections of manuscripts I'm working on. Dunno if it can outline, but its notetaking is proficient. I do believe you can store the databases in Dropbox.

Never heard of Bonsai, thanks for the tip.

Jake
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2020-10-17 9:22 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

hpcboy - 2020-10-16 3:56 PM

What do you think of ListPro? It seems ListPro is kinda similar to HanDBase. I have brief experience with it and found it "easy to use, hard to master", with virtually limitless possibilities. Apart from mere lists, some even use it for PIM and GTD!

Yeah, Ilium even created Contact List and To Do List templates. But I've never found any tutorials on how to import Outlook Contacts and Tasks data into them directly on the CE device. Kind of a pain entering each item manually.
 Top of the page
hpcboy Page Icon Posted 2020-10-17 12:57 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

There seems to be no way to get ActiveSync to run under Win10. So my last resort: set up a new Windows 98 SE (still having the genuine CD, together with Win95 ) as a VM (512MB RAM) which runs and lives within Win10 (host PC with 12GB RAM).

And then,
- Migrate every Palm OS Hotsync and WinCE ActiveSync stuff to the VM.
- Use ramdisk to run most 98 programs.
- Disable internet sharing with 98 VM.
- Turn on files and clipboard sharing

I suppose this semi-sandbox set up will be pretty fast, secure, retro, nostalgic, portable (the VDI file can survive regardless of those bizarre Win10 updates), DOS compatible, and most importantly, 100% CE friendly .
 Top of the page
hpcboy Page Icon Posted 2020-10-19 1:10 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Digression & a progression:

Having struggled a whole day trying to get a Windows 98 VirtualBox VM set up properly on my Win10 machine. The two major roadblocks are display setting (default to 640x480 in 16 (NOT 16-bit) colors!) and network sharing (SMB got axed from Win10 by default). Was following several guides on the virtualbox forums but the display solutions there seem either incomplete or outdated.

But now both are solved and things start to rock! The last thing would be USB connection which should be less of a headache.

If this final step is completed, then ActiveSync and all those old desktop goodies (HPC Notes, ListPro, Bonsai ... to name but a few) will become fully usable regardless of the incompatible Win10 environment.

Will record my steps in my blog and/or here lest I forget about this small nightmare later on.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2020-10-19 9:02 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I assure you that SMB is very much still part of Windows... given that it's the Windows File Sharing protocol. SMB 1.0 and CIFS are however disabled by default now. You have to turn them on again from the control panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows Features on and off. You also have to disable SMB signing in SecPol and patch Windows 98 to support NTLM 2.0 (or install the AD extensions) in order to allow to communicate with the Windows Vista+ Server Service.
 Top of the page
hpcboy Page Icon Posted 2020-10-19 9:22 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Yes, SMB1 is turned off by default. As for NTLM support, since my PC runs Win10 Home, which doesn't ship with secpol.msc, I had to look elsewhere for scripts to add that to the setup.

Strangely, after a few boots, the VBEMP display driver became unstable and display was forced to revert back to 16 color VGA mode. And then after installing the unofficial usb2 driver (nusb36e) the VM crashed like no tomorrow... Uninstalling it didn't alleviate the situation. Probably I gotta redo the whole thing again.

Now giving ReactOS my first try. Not entirely hopeful but just want to see how far it can lead my way in this adventure.
 Top of the page
hpcboy Page Icon Posted 2020-10-19 10:36 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

It turned out that ReactOS offers limited support for USB devices. When trying to install ActiveSync, the process stopped by this error. Any input is much appreciated!

(VirtualBox_ReactOS_19_10_2020_17_33_12.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments VirtualBox_ReactOS_19_10_2020_17_33_12.png (45KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 9