x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Battery revamp is worth doing

1 2 3 4 5 6
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-01-25 9:48 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

joval - 2021-01-25 5:03 AM
I don't use solder either...just a piece of foam tape on one end to compress battery against contacts.

That could be potentially dangerous if it ever wriggles lose. I wouldn't advise it.
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-02-17 8:43 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

C:Amie - 2021-01-25 1:48 AM

joval - 2021-01-25 5:03 AM
I don't use solder either...just a piece of foam tape on one end to compress battery against contacts.

That could be potentially dangerous if it ever wriggles lose. I wouldn't advise it.

Quite a number of websites ((recommending spot welders for example) mention that the heat from soldering lithiun ion batteries can not uncommonly permanently damage the battery so as to render them susceptable to fire.

Of course you can tape down any wiggly wires...in the J720 battery there really is no wiggle room but care must be taken to maintain the proper location of such when closing the case. I think the MP900 batteries do have more wiggle room and might slip some...so tape or glue them down.

More importantly...do not forget the paper insulation washer that sits on the top the anode, as this prevents shorting to the surrounding case. And when pulling off the wire tabs using a screw driver or pocket knife ( I doubt a plastic credit card would work) take care not to short the blade against the rim of the battery case. Only work on discharged batteries and charge them after rebuilding.

I just received an inexpensive $25 spot welder and after I add a protective capacitor to prevent undervoltage mosfet burn out (so it can be used with smaller lead acid battery ) I will give it a try.

Again... don't forget the protective insulating "washer/ O-ring" on the anode (+ side. My 2 centavos worth...

Incidently, it's also easy to open many failed laptop batteries using the above mentioned "hand wringing" approach. They sort of crack open like an egg. Leather gloves might provide an extra margin of safety from cuts, etc.

Joval

Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2021-02-17 9:19 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Use low temperature solder paste…not as strong as regular tin/lead like you would use in soldering your trailer lights…but for non-movable parts like the inside of a battery pack it works great.

I use a cheap non-silver paste…Sn42/Bi58 which melts at less than 300° F. Use it with common flux and it flows pretty easy.
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-02-19 2:54 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Rich Hawley - 2021-02-17 1:19 PM

Use low temperature solder paste…not as strong as regular tin/lead like you would use in soldering your trailer lights…but for non-movable parts like the inside of a battery pack it works great.

I use a cheap non-silver paste…Sn42/Bi58 which melts at less than 300° F. Use it with common flux and it flows pretty easy.

Hi Rich! (seems there's a lot of battery life left in you yet in spite of your retirement motto ). Good info on the low temp solder paste-- Tin and Bismuth --- where do you get it?

BTW, is there any cheap way to rebuild/recell the MobilePro 800 battery??

Joval

Edited by joval 2021-02-19 3:00 PM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2021-02-19 6:51 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Nothing is cheap Joval. Especially prismatic batteries.

I did make a AAA adapter once as shown here: https://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=13583&po...

If I were to do it again I think I might try a case modification that would use 18650s.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2021-02-20 1:05 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

joval - 2021-02-19 6:54 AM

Hi Rich! (seems there's a lot of battery life left in you yet in spite of your retirement motto ).

We're working on a battery adapter for Rich. You don't want to know where the batteries go.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-02-20 9:45 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

... and you sure as heck don't want to draw the short straw on getting them out again!
 Top of the page
munchausen Page Icon Posted 2021-02-20 9:59 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

I just replaced the flat pouch cell on an ipaq. I found that soldering was very quick with a very hot iron and a lot of flux.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2021-02-20 11:01 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

How does the old punchline go? "Don't take it out doc, just change the batteries."
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-02-23 4:23 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Careful there...CE Geek ...you might be "charged" with "assault and battery."
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-02-26 11:56 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Rich Hawley - 2021-02-17 1:19 PM

Yes, yes ...excellent idea/point. I found it on Amazon for about 10 bucks. I'm going to give it a try on upgrading the J720 memory chips to 128 MB using the hot air soldering tool I got for Christmas but have yet to take out of the box... perfect complement. I will report back.

Joval

Top of the page
blauhut Page Icon Posted 2022-02-04 1:12 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello,

I go to my local computer hardware market but nobody want to refurbish or revamp the cells of a HP Jornada 728, so I need to do myself, any tips you can make?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2022-02-04 2:16 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-02-04 8:09 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Top of the page
_dev-null Page Icon Posted 2022-02-04 8:49 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

And you should spend a few bucks on a spot welder. I found one with a LiPo that works great!

Stefan

(IMG_20220204_093956.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_20220204_093956.jpg (382KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4 5 6
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 12