x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

BBS Access from Windows CE

kennytaylor661 Page Icon Posted 2020-10-15 11:43 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Getting a little nostalgic here..

I did a lot of BBS'ing back in the early/mid 90's. I honestly miss those days. Mustang Software, which created the Wildcat! BBS software, was actually based in my hometown. Never had the $$ to buy it, so I ran the free stuff like Renegade and Iniquity.

I stood up a BBS a few years back called Eternal Domain then shelved it for the last couple years. After some recent searching, I found a VPS provider that allowed me to stand up an older 32-bit Windows OS and put the board back online. There are some classic door games like Legend of the Red Dragon (purchased that one for an old BBS ~1997).

I think it would be awesome to pull out the HPC and connect in to this. I started tinkering with some of the trialware CE terminal emulators like vxHPC and PowerTerm. They work okay. I think I had a license for Powerterm back in the day. The high ASCII characters get garbled (think menu borders). I can probably fix that with some careful choice of ASCII codes. Maybe even define an alternate menu set for HPC users?

If anyone is interested, it's up at: bbs.eternaldomain.net

Top of the page
kennytaylor661 Page Icon Posted 2020-10-19 4:35 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

If it's helpful for anyone else, the magic BBS settings in PowerTerm seem to be:

Terminal type: BBS-ANSI
Font type: PowerTerm fonts
UPS set: Code page 850
Unscaled screen: Uncheck this
Dimensions: 80 columns x 24 lines
Colors: Set default color to be bright white on black background
Windows taskbar: Set to autohide (gives a bit more space for the display)
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 41 - Executed queries : 29