x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Windows 7 Patches Guide

C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2020-10-19 3:33 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I have had a number of people email in during the end of last year and 2020 asking when/if the Windows 7 Patches guide will be available.

If you didn't know, I have published patching and update guides here on the site for
- Windows 3.11
- Windows 95
- Windows 98
- Windows 98 SE
- Windows Millennium
- Windows NT 3.51
- Windows NT 4.0
- Windows 2000
- Windows XP
- Windows Vista
- Microsoft Office 95, 97, Outlook 98, 2000, XP, 2003, Office X, Office 2004, Office 2008

The were originally published just to try and encourage the community to update their Windows 9x PCs back in a day when Windows Update was a seldom used thing. The idea was that people would come fro ActiveSync and update their machine at the same time.

Over the years as each version of Windows has hit end-of-life, I have released a guide for each of those; along with a few of the earlier ones too.

The new Windows 7 (x86 and x64) guide is to be found at:
https://www.hpcfactor.com/qlink/?linkID=215

By my reckoning, you need SP1 + 198 updates to clear Windows Update on 7 x64, with a few optional updates available. I also recommend a couple of updates that don't come down from WU including driver support for 4K drives and an updated version of RoboCopy that no one knows about for Windows 7 - when you need and don't have it, you'll feel it.

I have also worked out the most efficient way to patch it. The minimum number of reboots you can do it in is:
0. Clean Install (reboot)
1. SP1 (reboot)
2. Prerequisites (reboot)
3. IE 11 + Update Set 1 (reboot)
4. Update Set 2 + Optionals (reboot)

If you instal from SP1 media, obviously that is 1 reboot and half an hour no longer needed.

In line with the 2009 policy change, the downloads will only be made available in exchange for a donation. Especially giving that the x86 version is 2GB and the x64 3GB for this set!

The rest of the guides, as well as MSIE and Office Guides can be found at:
https://www.hpcfactor.com/support/patching/
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.123 - Cached queries : 59 - Executed queries : 8