x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

One Netbook A1 - 7in. laptop

stingraze Page Icon Posted 2020-10-23 11:15 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

This news just came in. The specs are pretty nice.

From the below site:
SoC – Intel Core m3-8100Y dual-core/quad-thread Amber Lake processor @ 1.1 / 3.4 (Turbo) GHz with Intel UHD Graphics 615; 5W TDP
System Memory – 8GB RAM
Storage – 256GB or 512GB M.2 SSD; microSD card slot
Display – 7-inch touchscreen IPS LCD with 1920 x 1200 resolution
IPS LCD; support for stylus with 4096 levels of pressure
Video Output – 1x micro HDMI port
Audio – 3.5mm audio jack, built-in speakers & microphone
Webcam – None
Connectivity
Gigabit Ethernet RJ45 port
Dual-band 802.11b/g/n/ac WiFi 5 and Bluetooth 4.2
User Input – Backlit (red) keyboard, infrared touch sensor (instead of a trackpad), fingerprint sensor
USB – 1x USB Type-C, 2x USB 3.0 Type-A
Serial – 1x DB9 RS-232 COM port
Misc – Rope hole
Battery – 6,000 mAh
Power Supply – 12V/3A with USB PD 2.0 support
Dimensions – 173 x 135 x 18mm
Weight – 550 grams

https://www.cnx-software.com/2020/10/22/one-netbook-a1-7-inch-laptop...

Edited by stingraze 2020-10-23 11:17 AM

(one-netbook-a1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments one-netbook-a1.jpg (41KB - 1 downloads)
 Top of the page
hpcboy Page Icon Posted 2020-10-23 11:50 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Looks really like a magnified Zaurus!
They should absolutely use a touch friendly interface. The traditional desktop UI doesn't really cut it on such a small screen.
Ubuntu's Synaptics is awfully surprisingly awful even after so many iterations. (I always apt in the terminal on my wife's Ubuntu PC instead).
Personally I find the rotating screen mechanism rather redundant, fragile, and unnecessarily costly.
I do love the absence of webcam, though.
The pricing seems pretty competitive too.
The bottom line still is: Is it instant on? How many hours of battery power can it promise (6,000 mAh may not mean much given these relatively high specs)?
The trend of UMPC/subnotebooks seems to be making a strong comeback. If these things sell well, that can mean our smartphones may not be really that smart as presumed.

Late edit: Just spotted one hardware feature I eternally dislike: the teeny touch sensors and mouse buttons right below the space bar!

Edited by hpcboy 2020-10-23 12:47 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2020-10-23 1:05 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Am I alone these days in fining it weird that they've released that running a 2018-era EM64-T processor running on DRR3?

I'm starting to think that any mobile devices no released on ARM is getting a bit niche. Running it on a 2 year old x86 on power hungry DDR3... I think that means it has died before it has left the starting gate.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2020-10-23 1:22 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Well, Apple still uses DDR3 on the lower end MacBook Pros... even on 2020 models.
I think there isn’t a replacement for the m series Intel CPU now if I’m not mistaken?

Edited by stingraze 2020-10-23 1:27 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2020-10-23 1:35 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

It just undermines runtime. As Apple has signalled the death-knell for x86 and NVidia have now got hold of ARM thanks to the idiocy of the UK government. ARM is the future. Hail to the king baby... of course we all around here knew this back in 2001
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2020-10-23 3:00 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Design reminds me of the ol' Fujitsu U810/U820 UMPC's I had some years ago...

What goes around, comes around.....

Top of the page
PDXMark Page Icon Posted 2020-10-23 5:18 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Brad Linder just reviewed a pre-production demo unit on liliputing.com: https://liliputing.com/2020/10/one-netbook-a1-handheld-computer-prev...
 Top of the page
hpcboy Page Icon Posted 2020-10-23 11:04 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I think the review confirms my suspicion: not very good battery life, weak hinge mechanism (okay for PDA, not so good for larger devices).
The trackpad sensor should be swapped with the fingerprint sensor. The positioning looks ridiculous. I am not sure how frequent I would swipe the trackpad sensor whenever hitting the spacebar during typing.
As for typing, the keys look really flat which doesn't seem to promise good enough travel.
I'd prefer One Mix 1S+ , but again its trackpad sensor is also very weird.
As usual, linux support can be flaky and users must wait.
I can't help but have a feeling that it is just another reincarnation of the old mini tablet PC/UMPC design with the updated specs. Ideal for those who have urgent needs to use a full-blown Win10 machine on the road, or those who are just after the cool factor. But the thing is, who would choose to type long texts, edit detailed graphics, and browse text rich websites on such a small machine when a regular laptop or PC is just around? How much can one really achieve when doing any of these on such a tiny screen with so high resolutions in a cozy cafe, apart from watching youtubes or their favorite shows?

Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2020-10-24 2:41 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

C:Amie - 2020-10-23 10:35 PM
ARM is the future. Hail to the king baby... of course we all around here knew this back in 2001

Yes... we all knew it! That's why we're still believing in H/PC!
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2020-10-24 6:59 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

PDXMark - 2020-10-24 2:18 AM

Brad Linder just reviewed a pre-production demo unit on liliputing.com: https://liliputing.com/2020/10/one-netbook-a1-handheld-computer-prev...

Thanks for the link!

Edited by stingraze 2020-10-24 7:00 AM
 Top of the page
fantablium Page Icon Posted 2020-10-24 1:57 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Now that's cool.

I picked up a GPD pocket 7 about 12 months since. Its a great portable but I still prefer my j728 for everyday tasks due to the 'instant on' that said its great for streaming and will run 6 hours on a charge....

Edited by fantablium 2020-10-24 2:04 PM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2020-10-27 2:44 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
I'm impressed this prototype can run Ubuntu at all. Since the majority of these devices--GPD and other manufacturers--are essentially canabalizing tablet screens and sticking them on a keyboard, grub and other start menus are almost always sideways with brutal resolution. But the MicroPC gave early Linux users fits with its initial inability to produce a landscape view even at Linux desktop.

Another nice promise is the keyboard's Right Shift. GPD has pretty much given up on the Right Shift, which makes me shy away from updating my Pocket 1. Even if you wanted to remap, the Pocket 2's layout doesn't lend itself to creating a Right Shift.

Lose the red-lit keyboard, please. What's wrong with white?

Jake
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2020-10-28 5:02 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I assume they avoided white because they want softer illumination. But for that purpose blue or green would be better than red, since they're more relaxing colors based on the kinds of stimuli each color tends to be associated with.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2020-10-28 5:18 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Yeah, green would have been nice, sort of Razer-ish (gaming device brand).

Edited by stingraze 2020-10-28 5:19 AM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 10