x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

PocketDOS is awesome!

1 2 3 4 5 6
haha Page Icon Posted 2021-02-24 6:23 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

munchausen - 2021-02-24 5:54 PM

haha - 2021-02-22 5:18 AM

I purchased a PocketDoss but could not receive a license key.

I'd raise a support request here: https://www.mycommerce.com/shopper-support/

Technical support is unavailable The link is broken
 Top of the page
jorel101 Page Icon Posted 2021-02-24 7:28 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Looks promising. I'll check it out. Thanks!
 Top of the page
munchausen Page Icon Posted 2021-02-24 8:36 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

haha - 2021-02-24 6:23 PM

Sorry, the link seems to take you to the wrong page, I don't know why, but if you remove "</div>" from the end or just copy-paste the address it takes you to the right place.

It asks you to enter your order number and the last 4 digits of your card, or register an account and log in. It also says if that doesn't work you may need to try here instead: https://myord.com/store?Action=DisplayHomePage&Locale=en_US&SiteID=f...

Worth a try anyway I'd have thought.

Edited by munchausen 2021-02-24 8:39 PM
 Top of the page
haha Page Icon Posted 2021-02-25 3:18 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

munchausen - 2021-02-24 8:36 PM

haha - 2021-02-24 6:23 PM

Sorry, the link seems to take you to the wrong page, I don't know why, but if you remove "</div>" from the end or just copy-paste the address it takes you to the right place.

It asks you to enter your order number and the last 4 digits of your card, or register an account and log in. It also says if that doesn't work you may need to try here instead: https://myord.com/store?Action=DisplayHomePage&Locale=en_US&SiteID=f...

Worth a try anyway I'd have thought.

When I inquire, I am connected to Adobe Customer Center. It is impossible to solve
 Top of the page
munchausen Page Icon Posted 2021-02-25 6:57 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

That sucks, sorry to hear
 Top of the page
MOOSE Page Icon Posted 2021-02-27 7:09 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I was worried about buying a key to this a few months ago and the company going under, so I've reverse engineered the serial algorithm just incase more situations of the company not responding to purchases arise. I doubt its allowed to be shared here, but I'll be happy to once pocketdos isnt sold anymore.
 Top of the page
ax0n Page Icon Posted 2021-06-09 2:28 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

FYI, I purchased a license key for PocketDOS a week ago. I paid via PayPal, and upon payment, the screen that came up looked to be just a confirmation of payment but the serial key was right there on that page, as well as a temporary serial key that supposedly expired in 14 days which will work on any device with any owner info, if something went awry. This same info was emailed to me instantly. It came from noreply-eng (at) ShareIt[.]com and the subject was Delivery information for "PocketDOS" (MyCommerce Share-it order no. XXXXXXXXXX)

I am having a problem, though, getting a modern version running on my HP 320LX (Win CE 2.0) because I don't have ActiveSync. I was able to unzip a few versions of the PocketDos Installer EXE files, and an older version of PocketDOS had obvious platform-specific EXE files (e.g. PocketDOS-hpc-sh3.exe or some such) but the later versions have CAB files inside of CAB files and I can't seem to extract a functioning EXE file to load onto my 320LX.

I do not mind paying for PocketDOS, but if I can't even get a modern demo working, I am not going to pay up. The older version works, but lacks the menu interface for setting up drive and comm redirections, and some other flexibility I have come to enjoy on my HP 720LX.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2021-06-09 10:51 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Bummer. I hadn't even realized that PDOS works on CE 2.0.

With all your kit, you don't have some ancient EEE netbook or some limp-along Win98 machine lurking in the closet so you can run the famed ActiveSync 3.8?

And you call yourself a geek

Jake
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-06-10 1:55 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

How does pocketDOS (WinCE)compare to DOSbox (debian)???
joval
 Top of the page
ax0n Page Icon Posted 2021-06-10 3:30 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Jake - 2021-06-09 4:51 PM

Bummer. I hadn't even realized that PDOS works on CE 2.0.

With all your kit, you don't have some ancient EEE netbook or some limp-along Win98 machine lurking in the closet so you can run the famed ActiveSync 3.8?

And you call yourself a geek

Jake

Hooboy. I do have quite a bit of retro tech. Most of it is NOT running Windows in any form. The most likely candidate would be my Dell Latitude D610 running Win2K (yes yes I know it came with XP) but unearthing it and setting everything up for sync seems like a lot of work for getting one single program on my 320LX. Bonus points for the fact that I'm too new to download files from HPCFactor's archives and this is about the only place I can get some of the files I need without inviting some kind of malware infestation.
 Top of the page
ax0n Page Icon Posted 2021-06-10 3:37 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

How does pocketDOS (WinCE)compare to DOSbox (debian)???

On the 720, it's about like running a real-time 8086 for real. Like an old Leading Edge Model D, or my Zenith ZWL-184 SuperSport laptop. That's to say, it's quite slow. I haven't run DosBox under Linux on a 720, but I cannot fathom DosBox being any faster than it is under WinCE. Flight Simulator 4.x is about 1 frame per second. TestDrive is perhaps 2-3 frames per second.

The older PocketDos on my 320LX is about half that speed, and I had to crank the Program Memory slider almost wide open to make something like LotusWorks Suite keep up with my typing.

Top of the page
dl1av Page Icon Posted 2021-09-06 6:36 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Hmmm, the registering system looks like to be totally down now and it is impossible to buy a licence anymore.

Seems that I am too late again....
 Top of the page
PocketDOS Page Icon Posted 2021-09-10 7:33 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

For the record, the product is not abandonware, has never been declared abandonware, and neither the website, or email address has ever been down (for more than a few days). For users that purchased licenses, the form to request a new unlock code (for example with device change) is still linked and working with the same URL that was sent with the original unlock code. Digital River (formerly ShareIt) has terminated the PocketDOS account as of 1 Sept 2021, due to insufficient sales to warrant keeping it open (their criteria, not sure what that is, as it was still getting some monthly sales). That is unfortunate, as the small amount of sales was at least enough to pay for the hosting etc. I will most likely keep the domain up for another few years, and I will probably make the product free for non-commercial use. In the meantime, if you want to support the product, you can make donations (or purchase licenses) via PayPal (details available via email info "at" pocketdos.com).
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-09-10 9:48 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

@PocketDOS good to have you weighing in publicly on this. I am incredibly glad that you have. We have been a long time supporter as you know.

Firstly, if there is anything that we here at HPC:Factor can do to help, please let me know directly by email or PM. If the issue is with hosting and website infrastructure, perhaps there is something that we can do.

Secondly, could I please ask you to comment on the license status for anyone who has purchased the UsedHandheld Software CD collection as a lot of people have purchased it to get PocketDOS and cannot.

Thirdly, I do hope you'll stick around the site as I am sure that you have a lot of deep knowledge that would be hugely welcome by our community.

Lastly, how's Antarctica this time of year?
 Top of the page
PocketDOS Page Icon Posted 2021-09-10 12:23 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Regarding the 2007 "Best of Everything" promotion: I'm no longer honouring those license requests, as it was a promo deal made 14 years ago. I don't think it's reasonable to expect me to hand out free licenses indefinitely. IIRC all I got in exchange for that was a tiny print advertisement. I don't think it made any difference to sales at the time, and I ended up honouring it for much longer than I wanted to (through PPC magazine etc.).

Regards being a resource on DOS and/or Windows CE, I doubt my input is relevant nowadays. I've moved onto other things, and haven't even looked at a Windows CE device in about 12 years. I was never a DOS expert, I started the XT-CE project as a result of a "wish-list" somebody set up back in the very early days of Windows CE (IIRC the first release of XT-CE was 1 April 1999). My interest in it was technical and limited to emulating the hardware/BIOS with an emphasis on performance. My view being if that was done properly then everything else should "just work".

If someone wanted to get my attention they could either DM me (which will cause an email notification), or email me directly. I don't see myself being an active member here, as I think all of the WinCE hardware I have has long since decayed (not to mention it being woefully underpowered compared to modern mobile devices), so I probably don't even have a device to run anything on.

For anyone still reading, I did get most of the way to implementing "PocketDOS 2.0", which was a rewrite of most of the code with an emphasis on cross-platform compatibility. I had it running on an iPad at some point, before I lost interest in it completely.
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4 5 6
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.232 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 15