x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Customize Prixton Netbook WINCE 7

theelf Page Icon Posted 2020-11-04 12:25 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi, as a long time Jornada 720 user, when i see this little windows ce 7 prixton computer in a fly market for 10 euros, of course i decide to buy

Is a very nice little computer, very very fast, 1.2ghz, 1GB ram and 4Gb internal flash, 800x480. A windows Ce dream machine in my oppinion

But windows ce 7 is horrible... this XP style icons, the XP skin for some dialogs, the logon and shutdown screen... my god...

Any way to customize? long time ago, i remember i did a gnome customize pack for jornada 720, using MUI dll, to load new icons, etc

I dont know if something like this is possible in wince 7, or is possible to do a custom OS...

I ask because im a little lost, since the last wince version i use was 2000 in my jornada

thanks a lot

Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2020-11-06 1:48 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

What type of cpu does it have?
 Top of the page
theelf Page Icon Posted 2020-11-06 11:00 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Rich Hawley - 2020-11-06 1:48 PM

What type of cpu does it have?

Hi, WM8850, thanks
 Top of the page
hpcboy Page Icon Posted 2020-11-06 11:14 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

So it is one of those mass produced rebranded CE netbook like Sylvania wm8850 ...

Just wonder if apps for WM5 or WM6 also work on this device. If so then I guess there are apps for customizing the UI.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2020-11-07 3:09 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

The Sylvania had a WM8650 processor.

Yes, some WM5 and WM6 apps do work, but WEC 7 is picky about DLLs from earlier CE core OSs and/or Windows Mobile platforms.
 Top of the page
hpcboy Page Icon Posted 2020-11-07 4:56 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Yes, I confused the chips as I don't have anything later than CE .Net 4.1...
 Top of the page
theelf Page Icon Posted 2020-11-16 8:14 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi! no idea guys? must be some way to extract the DLL and EXE to make MUI files...
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2020-11-16 10:46 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Well first of all you need to determine if the manufacurer has a method to flash the operating system to the device…some type of firmware flash. Normally this entails holding down some key combinations while powering on. Almost always there us some sort of hardware recovery option.

Then you need to edit that firmware flash with the files you want permanently resident.

You might take a look at older versions of the laptop that might have WinCE 6 on it and consider flashing that if available.

It is often trial and error…with a prayer thrown in hoping that you don't brick your device…

Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2020-11-18 8:45 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I don't think CE 6 firmware exists for the WM8850, Rich. I've never seen a WM8850 device running any version of Windows CE other than Windows Embedded Compact 7.

One of our earlier members (Geared2003) put together several skins with nicer icons. Check this search page for several threads talking about these:

https://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/search/query.asp?fid=0&action=searc...
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 9