x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

HP Jornada 728 & Exchage Server

alexander Page Icon Posted 2020-11-18 11:28 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi gang.

So at the age of 35 ive finally bought a 720. I was in two minds between this and the 9000c.....but the HP won due to looks and old skoolness. I would of prefred the more compatible options for 3g but i suppose that kinda killed the point of the old skoolness.

Ive been on the intenet since i was a kid in 94 and have seen things move along over the years with the old US PC mags and remember these. I now work in geo diversed vmware sdn clouds but the old stuff still holds a place in my heart.

So moving on form the sentimentals....

I'm hoping to use the active sync and a wifi/gprs card to sync direclty to an exchange server. Im planing on building an old nt/2000 domain and exchange 5.5/2003 box. I plan to install modern day firewalls in transparant mode so i can run this old env and still be safe in this day and age! What's the point......for the awesomeness obvs!

So my questions are -

- Will these devices and the native Outlook client sync with exchange directly rather that the destop activesync. If not what other pop3/imap clients will work? I want realtime sync.
- Do they support any sort ov vpn via pptp/l2 connection? Natively or 3rd party....either is fine.
- Can i pop open the batt and replace the lith cells for new equiv ones to bring the batt life back?
- What is the max server os it can comms with natively. I assume 2003 looking at ages and taking into account some sorta backwards compat?

Cheers
ALex
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2020-11-19 8:43 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The HPC 2000 inbox app has first generation Exchange ActiveSync support. I cannot remember whether it can sync the other POOM databases over it though. I think yes.

nPopUk is generally regarded as the best third party app for the job
https://www.hpcfactor.com/scl/1045/nPOPuk/nPOPuk/version_3.04?page=d...

The 720 doesn't support Microsoft VPN as the dll is missing. The 728 ROM has PPTP dial support though. No L2TP.

Battery yes, they are 18650's. There has been plenty of recent discussion on re-celling. Please search.

2003 would be the highest fully supported kernel with ActiveSync 3.8 (not 4.5). You can use 2008 but have touse WMDC which is even less feature supported than AS4.5 is. Equally CE only supports CIFS, so won't SMB to newer windows releases without a lot of fiddling.
 Top of the page
alexander Page Icon Posted 2020-11-25 10:08 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Sorry for the late reply...ive been busy with the new box. Spent so much time on it haha.

Ive got it running on wifi now and have built a full w2k3 server domain env with exchange 2003 and tmg serviing front end for mail proxy and pptp so I can vpn. Got a cisco card which connects to its own vlan here and a 4g mobile unit when out and about...it all works includin exchange, file shares and wan/lan acces to it all.

Its been a while since ive dealt with the old tech and forgot how easy things are these days. Basically the device works with all native apps. Ive also got xp with unofficla sp4. All the back end is backed by inline ids/ips so in theory I shouldnt suffer any security probs from not gettign updates/pathces etc etc.

Its overkill i know but I enjoyed the challenge to bring up old tech to work and be protected fully. Annoying i cany use tls but nevermind....

One more thing Id like to do is use pki in the env and the hpc also so its even more secure.

Anyone have any exp in getting client certs on the 728 for comms? I cant find any info about using the smart card feature or any possbility of cert imports.

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2020-11-26 12:40 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

You're using Forefront on Server 2003 or you have a headend appliance?

What 4G card are you using with the 728? Best check it is in the HCL

How are you finding PPTP on the 728?

EAS working ok for calendar, contacts and tasks?

The smartcard was never implemented by HP. There was an SDK sample and I seem to recall that there was one company that did something with it, however CE 3.0 itself - at least in the ROM implementation - cannot do anything with it.

CE 3 has no primary tools for manipulating the PKI. Later CE .net versions had a control panel applet for it. So you have to manipulate the certificate stores using API.
 Top of the page
calvinb Page Icon Posted 2021-03-21 9:54 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Interrupting this thread because I have a 728, but I'm curious about EAS; I didn't see it mentioned on mine.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 10