x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Surf Firefox on Jornada720 with Duvian/ssh/X11 via RaspberryPi

1 2 3
joval Page Icon Posted 2020-11-29 4:32 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Ntware...thanks so much for posting your experience using Stefans amazing debian/duvian Os. When I saw your screen capture of the hcfactor web site I was so impressed and excited. I had to find out how it was done!

It turns out that the stock Raspberry Pi Os supports the X11 forwarding, only requiring minor change from no to yes in the ssh_config file. Ssh is easy to set up by adding an ssh file to the root directory and rebooting, and then setting raspberry pi configuration to allow ssh. The Raspberry Pi (RasPi for short) I am using is the Pi 2 B+ and costs $35...cheap and easy to set up, includes linux derived Raspbian OS...so terminal commands etc are the same.

Start xterm (alt + internet explorer key) on the J720 (running on Duvian) then one logs in with: ssh -X pi@10.0.0.1 (use your raspberry pi ip address here) .which is followed by the RasPi password. Then at the prompt type the program name on the RasPi you want to run...like Firefox, or DosBox , dolphin, etc. The Jornada 720 screen pops up with a gui window running that program...on a J720 with only 32 Mb ram!! Browse with Firefox...using the alt + Word key combo to switch to and from full screen (F11) mode. Stefan did a great job with key mapping and workspaces.

I was using a wired ne2000 ethernet card...but will set up wifi access soon. I extended Stefan's Os install such that the first partition is 16Gb and Fat32, second partition is 14 GB ext4. I have a copy of the WinCE HP backup on the 1st partition and removed the backup battery so I can switch between Devian or WinCe by rejecting the battery and rebooting (because of the white screen issue). I can give more specifics later if anyone needs such.
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2020-11-30 12:35 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Hi! (I do rather like Dev_null/Stefan's welcoming greetings...as well as his software/OS)

one error above: you create the file "ssh" in the Boot directory (not Root).

I am writing on my Jornada 720 to post this!! Amazing...even though boot up is slow
...once you are online it is Soooooo worth it..even with stock 32 Mb ram.

Incidently, using firefox on the J720 is very pleasant...no margin adds, no pop ups! And the image quality is very impressive as well!!

I did get the wifi working with the netgear ma401 card and it seemed to last at least an hour or 2 running off battery power. For now I'm plugged into the J720 charger.

The raspberry pi 2B+ can be found for around $25 and can be powered with a 2amp or so cell phone charger which most of us have laying around...it's the size of a credit card and has wifi and bluetooth built in. I see taking it along on any trip with the J720 and plugging it in "headless" ie., no monitor or keyboard, and using theJ720 as its terminal for control to set local wifi. New life for the J720!!

Edited by joval 2020-11-30 1:32 PM
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2020-11-30 2:13 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Just think about it...you could plug your raspberry pi into your automobile's (or electric bicycle in my case) usb or cigarette lighter,,,park outside starbucks, McDonalds, etc...take your J720 inside and surf the net via local wifi (if the signal is strong enough)...or use your zillion dollar cell phone as the hotspot without fear of leaving it behind or losing it.

ntware: since WPA wifi is now possible one can use the ESP32 as a mini-router just attached to the Raspberry Pi if needed...I don't know yet if the raspPi can be both a router and a server too)

The J720 retains its great portability...letting the raspberry pi provide the horsepower to run most modern applications.

C:Amie....may I congratulate your UK for creating the raspberry pi which makes this all possible!

Edited by joval 2020-11-30 2:58 PM
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2020-11-30 5:23 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Hi! I just remembered that SD-WiFi cards like the FlashAir can act as a router with a bridge to the internet, lan and wan on different ip addresses. So plugging one of those into the rasbberrypi usb slot (in a usb to sdcard adapter) should solve that issue if it can accept wpa encryption....something I will check out. I know the esp32 will, but its a little bigger...well,maybe not considering the usb/sdcard adapter's size. UPDATE: FlashAir card supports WEP, TKIP,AES(WPA/WPA2).

One could power the esp8266 or esp32 from the raspi usb ports with usb phone cable...simple! The espxx's have a readily available router with bridge,all wireless, application/program (or sketch as they call them using the Arduino IDE that Stefan mentioned).

I am strongly in favor of nominating Stefan for the "HPCFactor-Nobel Prize"...maybe ntware could be runner up...do I hear second on that?!!

Edited by joval 2020-11-30 5:51 PM
 Top of the page
Karpour Page Icon Posted 2020-11-30 5:58 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

I'm all for the HPC:Factor nobel prize for Stefan, he certainly made the most exciting new contributions to the community this year
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2020-11-30 6:07 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Agreed. It's been so much fun to follow.

Re: Raspberry Pi helping out old hardware--I have a headless 3B that issues one command: a serial internet sharing that I then connect to a usb-serial adapter to my HP 200lx. I actually get on-line. True, there's no surfing, but email can be checked and I send 8 full-text news sites through rss-to-email. So even though it's 1995 in many HP ways, I'm relatively in touch.

Jake
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2020-12-01 1:54 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Jake: I have some older ce2 devices that could use your setup...can you give me some hints on how to do it? like software or scripts. Thanks in advance.

Karpour...thanks for your response. Every time I re-read Stefans thread some new tasty treat seems to pop out...you have all contributed so much...Kenny's wifi set up ma401 worked well for me and was so easy to do! Mark had his role in it all too. So thanks again. What gems you all are. But Stefan... Stefan is truly the master...maybe even official HPC Coding God...the Eric Clapton of handhelds?!! )

These posts are from my J720 with 32Mb running Devuan via the RasPi!

Edited by joval 2020-12-01 2:13 AM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2020-12-01 3:17 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
This is a working script for the 200lx, courtesy of Daniel Hertrich, who is still one of the masters of the device. I'm using the stock Raspian OS. Obviously , in the loop, you have to adjust the ip address, etc to match your own needs. I would definitely start at 38400kbs and work up. I can't get past 38400kbs with the HP, and of course, a headless setup makes for a hassle when adjusting.

Let us know if you get it up and running,
Jake

#!/bin/sh 

# Setup IP masquerading on your Internet connection network device
# (change "wlan0" to the appropriate device, e.g. ppp0, eth0, ippp0...):

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o "wlan1" -j MASQUERADE

# This is for IrDA connection on an HP Omnibook 800 notebook only
# comment it out if you donĀ“t use an Omnibook 800:

#modprobe vlsi_ir

# This is for IrDA connections only (not only Omnibook 800)
# comment it out if you use a serial connection instead of IrDA:

#ifconfig irda0 up

# This is the PPP server (PPPD) call within an infinite loop:

while [ 1 ]
do
/usr/sbin/pppd /dev/ttyUSB0 38400 172.16.96.10:172.16.96.11 proxyarp local noauth silent nodetach ktune ms-dns 192.168.1.1
done
 Top of the page
_dev-null Page Icon Posted 2020-12-02 10:31 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Happy that you guys like and use all off that weird Linux stuff. Never thought that someone else will ever use it on these old devices ...

Stefan
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2020-12-04 7:08 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Hi Stefan!

Many thanks on my part for all your great work "jail breaking" the Jornada720...these devices have been in virtual lock down for nearly a decade or better! You have given the Jornada720 a new life, IMHO.

You know, I tried Jlime so long ago and found it so difficult to set up multiple partitions, never understood what I was doing as I had no grasp of what seemed the weird world of Linux. I think I did get jlime working but it was sooo slow and I didn't know about the X/X11 forwarding feature of Linux.

Later I explored jail breaking and rooting my android phone and my Nook android reader via the android sdk...lots of partitions: boot, root,system,data/sdcard and I learned some about use of the terminal emulator, side loading apps, and updating the various versions of android OS using clockwork orange CyanoMod images. I didn't really know Linus commands, just followed recipes...chmod,sudo, had no idea!

I also acquired Raspberry Pi...running raspian linux derivative setting up a slow cumbersome and soon abandoned Media Server...a few years ago I even bought
the newer RasPi 2 B+ but never took it out of the box!

But now,Thanks to you and your work and what it has taken to put Devuan on my jornada....it forced me to really learn what fdisk and cfdisk, mkdir, mount /dev, etc were doing.And how wonderful to put that understanding together and link the RasPi to the J720 using Xterm and ssh and X11 with basic linux commands, without drive letters but mount points, etc. The world of Linux is really opening up for me and it's all coming together! Jeez, I'm even reading a little about the Linux kernal as you suggested.

Anyway, thanks for helping me see what is possible and getting me more involved in the (not really weird) Linux world. Excellent Job, Herr Master!

best regards,
John

posted on my J720 via Devuan/X11/Raspi!
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2020-12-06 6:34 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Hi! Wow! Good news!

The Jornada 720 is free and secure at last...to roam wide and far.

I have Duvean running 0n board the J720 connected via a wired Kingston NE2000 pcmcia ethernet card plugged into the ethernet port of a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ which is acting as a router forwarding its wifi connection to the J720. The RasPi in turn is powered by a cell phone battery pack...and is lasting hours...and can connect to any wifi with wpa2...so: secure at last! Also the RasPi runs Surfshark vpn with add blocker built in. What's not to Like??!!

Firefox loads full screen BEA-UTI-FUL images in a fraction of a second...Yosemite Park,Dragon flies, wikipedia, they zip along one after another. Resize the screen with ctrl + or ctrl -, and all quite fast on a J720 with ONLY 32 Mb Ram!

I mean hours and hours of untethered zippy net cruising. True, it takes 5 minutes to get online booting up from WinCe...but once done...keep it in Devaun for instant on (J720 battery lasts a couple hours but can be augmented by the cellphone battery pack probably). Duvean is loaded on a super ultra fast, cheap 32 Gb FlashAir card...that keeps things speedy. Stephan's great Duvean OS switches easily between windows/workspaces...once you learn the short cut keys.

Sound can play thru the RasPi I think...videos seem to crash..but we all have tablets for that... more investigation needed here.

The RasPi and battery pack are about the size of a pack of cigarettes...I am thinking they might fit in a Jornada docking station. Anyway...so cool...you can REALLY use these little babies/beasties again on the internet!. And it's all SO PORTABLE! Yes!!

Edited by joval 2020-12-06 7:01 PM
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2020-12-07 1:27 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Nice!
I want to try something similar with my Raspberry Pi Zero WH...
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2020-12-07 3:58 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

FYI With the above mentioned setup:

Jornada battery lasted over 3 hours

RaspberryPi lasting about 12 hours

(That's on a cell phone pack only half discharged,
2 of 4 lights showing...roughly 5,000 mah of 10,000
milli amp hour pack)

Last year I posted my design for a tiny usb charger for the Jornada...so I will add that to the mix... should keep the combo going at 8 to 10 hours at least!

I am amazed at the quality of the displayed images and fonts, and now with the extreme portability...outstanding...and a rebirth for the J720!

With thanks again to Dev_Null who did so much heavy hitting and heavy lifting in porting Devuan to the Jornada7xx! Herr Maestro, Stephan, your creative talents made it happen and I am ever so impressed and grateful!! This is one very fun way to learn Linux/Debian too!

Edited by joval 2020-12-07 4:10 AM
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-02-08 8:32 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Right now, I'm back to using the NE2000 compatible ethernet card ( after playing around with a netgear ma401 wifi card using wep). This is with a ribbon like ethernet cable plugged into the RasPi ethernet port. .. it's just easier to use and a little faster. This requires running a script to assign the ethernet port to a static address 10.1.1.1, whereas the RasPi is connected to wifi to the internet/ router at, say for example: 192.168.2.1. I found that script online and will include it later when I dig it up.

I also have a script that updates Time and Date when booting up Duvean ...which is a nice feature. Let me know if anyone is interested.

Edited by joval 2021-02-08 8:37 PM
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2021-02-09 5:09 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread, but I have this idea for a while, just never implemented it due to lack of time. But instead of using the external RPi as a mere VNC server for Devuan, I though instead to run an "old browser proxy" on the Pi like this one: https://github.com/tenox7/wrp

In essence this would proxy all web traffic so that the built in PIE on WinCE can render modern pages. The RPi would do all the heavy lifting for the website processing and then just send an image to WinCE which can be easily rendered on PIE. How about that?
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 73 - Executed queries : 8