x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

SamTHorn Page Icon Posted 2010-06-15 10:44 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

clintonfitchdotcom - 2005-07-30 11:39 AM

Forum Users,

First, let me encourage you to continue to barter, sell and trade amongst yourselfs. This is an active forum for HPC:Factor and we want to see it continue.

Should you get in a position where you need an H/PC device or need to sell one and have no respective sellers or buyers, I would encourage you to look at Usedhandhelds.com. They are owned by the same group that runs Pocket PC Magazine and have terrific service. Their URL is http://www.usedhandhelds.com or you can find the link at the top of the HPC:Factor website.

Thanks,

Awesome site. I was looking for something like that. thanks a bunch.

Sam
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2010-08-18 8:44 PM
#
H/PC Elite

What makes me trundle over to eBay more is the variety of systems that happen to be on there. Most of the Handheld PC's at Usedhandhelds seem to be mostly Jornada 720's and MobilePro 900's. Also, their selection of Handheld's doesn't seem to be changing much. I can just sit on eBay and wait until a specific system I want pops up. It is a fact that eBay is much cheaper (£80 for brand new Jornada 720).
 Top of the page
halgol Page Icon Posted 2010-08-18 10:26 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Our staples are Jornadas, MobilePros, Axims, and HP 200LX. However, we often buy other units in quantity such as a very popular HP tablet.

Hal Goldstein
Owner
www.UsedHandhelds.com
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2010-08-19 4:31 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

FWIW, I have purchased handhelds such as Jornada's from UsedHandhelds. So, I can vouch for their good products and service. You won't necessarily get that level of quality from ebay sellers...

You have to decide whether or not it is worth something to you to have that level of quality and service and after purchase service. If not, buy from ebay....
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-08-19 6:34 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Nice to hear from you again, Hal. I'll be picking up the Ultimate Handheld PC Software CD as soon as I scrape up a few spare bux. (Geez, working the same job over 20 years, and here I am living from paycheck to paycheck. )
 Top of the page
halgol Page Icon Posted 2010-08-19 12:51 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Yes, we are now in our 26th year. Our main business is the publication of our magazine on mobile computers. We now publish iPhone Life for iOS users. (In those 25 years, one at a time, we've published The Portable Paper, The HP Palmtop Paper, Smartphone & Pocket PC, and now iPhone Life, http://www.iphonelife.com/ .)

CE Geek: if you send me private E-mail with your address, I'll be happy to send you an Ultimate Handheld PC Software hal @ thaddeus.com
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2010-08-19 4:08 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Don't forget Handheld PC Magazine
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-08-19 5:22 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

How could he forget the most important of them all?
 Top of the page
halgol Page Icon Posted 2010-08-19 6:21 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hey Rich ... BTW -- we recently obtained 200 MobilePro 900's.

Actually, from 1998-2008 we produced the same magazine, but under 3 titles: "Handheld PC Magazine", "Pocket PC magazine", and "Smartphone & Pocket PC magazine". Fundamentally we supported the Microsoft mobile operating system based on Windows CE. We changed our focus as Microsoft introduced newer products. (Microsoft keeps rebranding. They dropped "handheld PC" , "Pocket PC" , "Smartphone", "Windows Mobile". It's now "Windows Phone". Actually, IMHO things kept devolving from the HP 200LX Palmtop, which we covered in 90's, to CE handhelds, to Pocket PCs, to smartphones. Things took a significant turn for the better with the iPhone.

IMHO Apple did a great job with its interface and marketing its PDA as a phone, introducing handheld computing to the masses. (I personally moved to the Apple platform kicking and screaming, but as a publisher and end-user I am glad I did).
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2010-08-19 8:25 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Classing H/PC users in amongst Pocket PC/WM users around here is going to get you driven out of town by an angry mob with pitchforks

Comparing H/PC's to WM is like telling Newton users that they're nothing more than a bunch of sissy iPhone users.
You're more than welcome to keep your apples as far as I'm concerned. They leave a sour taste in the mouth.
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2010-08-19 8:33 PM
#
H/PC Elite

One more thing: you tend to find more obscure systems on eBay (that's what I originally meant to comment). It is alot more exciting to buy from eBay as well. Stuff like this:

Click Here

Click Here

Not only that, incase you haven't noticed, Usedhandhelds is on eBay! That removes the need to this their website at some extent. There will be some reasons to visit the site other than buying their products, but you see what I mean.
 Top of the page
halgol Page Icon Posted 2010-08-19 9:23 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Yes, usedhandhelds is on eBay. As a rule, we sell better quality devices and offer better warranties for slightly higher prices at www.UsedHandhelds.com . (We also have an Amazon store, which is more comparable to usedhandhelds.com than ebay in terms of quality, pricing and warranty.)
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-08-20 7:02 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

C:Amie - 2010-08-19 12:25 PM

Classing H/PC users in amongst Pocket PC/WM users around here is going to get you driven out of town by an angry mob with pitchforks

Comparing H/PC's to WM is like telling Newton users that they're nothing more than a bunch of sissy iPhone users.
You're more than welcome to keep your apples as far as I'm concerned. They leave a sour taste in the mouth.

You tell him, C:Amie.
 Top of the page
halgol Page Icon Posted 2010-08-20 11:20 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

If you want to praise the merits of the H/PC, I still think the HP 200LX triumps in terms of useability and functionality. For me it is "just business". I have a family and employees to support. Actually, I really enjoy the technology, which is how I got started, but I am not religious about the platforms. I think each has its strengths and weaknesses.

Personally, I always liked the 200LX and H/PC platform. I have been editorializing for something like the iPad for years. After HP introduced the DOS solid state laptop in the 80's (which we started our company writing about), I think the industry took the wrong direction. Rather than building up (calculator to laptop like HP), until the iPad, the industry build down. The laptop was small desktop. I've wanted to see products like the Jornada 820 or MobilePro 900 -- solid state, mobile operating system, apps in ROM, but with a useable mobile screen and keyboard. That's why I like the iPad.
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 10