x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Review: Mullenger's Windows CE 4.2 ROM upgrade for the SIMpad

[Frozen]
1 2 3 4 5
Frozen
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-09-06 1:11 PM
#
H/PC Elder

No misunderstanding. Neither one of us would ever consider a warez OS. Thata's just insane.
Even if I found a warez SL4 image I'd pass. I've got some concern regarding the hpc2k image on my SL4. I has something weird happening.
 Top of the page Quote Reply
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-06 1:22 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

what's weird with it?
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-09-09 11:44 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I have an unamed icon in my control panel. Being unnamed, it's the first icon there.

If I execute it a small dialog box pops up, says OK, and quickly disappears.
If I "right click" on it there's no name under properties. I'm fairly certain it's not part of the original Siemens image, unless someone can verify they have the same weird icon.

Since I discovered a trojan email password snatcher on a ppc awhile ago caution is my motto.
Better be safe than sorry.

I'll feel more comfortable if I flash in a good known image.

I'm disappointed Simon hasn't chimed in with news about alternate update methods, if any
Simon
Simon Page Icon Posted 2005-10-25 11:06 AM
#
Hello,
Sorry I havn´t read this thread for a month or more.

The blank icon issue - do a factory reset. I have sometimes seen ActiveSync file transfers leaving an unnamed, but fully sized file behind - if the transfer fails. It seems to be write locked and I can´t delete it. Factory reset it - done.

Distribution of the image has always been a real pain for me too. I originally started offering the image on CDROM - yeah really. Then some wise guy on a German forum announced that he had contacted Microsoft to challenge my authenticity and rights to distribute etc. So I contacted my Microsoft distributor and they told me NOT to do any kind of electronic distribution. They told me to offer an upgrade service, which is exactly what I do. I have since asked twice more and the position statement does not change. Now if anyone want to help me get this changed, I am with you. I sell my images with proper Microsoft Windows CE 4.2 pro plus runtimes.

Can I lock an image to a SIMpad? Yes, using FABDATA info, but can you all reset or rewrite your FABDATA? Yes it is possible, hard but possible, even without a JTAG interface. Can I lock an image to your flash chip serial numbers, yes, but then I´m sure some clever spark knows how to reprogram that information too at flash chip level (I don´t by the way but imagine JTAG would make it possible). Even if I could do all those things, then I´m sure another clever person could binary edit the image to remove those checks in the first place... After a while you kind of get an idea where the software license holder is coming from.

I know this hurts my "business", actually a hobby, but I don't want to be hauled up infront of a judge any more than any of you do.

Best regards
Simon
Simon
Simon Page Icon Posted 2005-10-25 11:13 AM
#
Updates - yes I update bug fixes whenever I get the chance. I use the IPSM area to store and automatically install the bug fixes. So if you buy the image and then I change something major I will email all customers to point them at the support page on my website. There they can download a CAB file of fixes which installs to the IPSM area.

As long as people don´t remove the fixes from the IPSM the SIMpad will always boot and apply the changes after a factory or registry wiping reset.

Sorry this wasn´t in the post above.
Simon
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-10-25 10:32 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Simon - 2005-10-25 9:06 AM

Can I lock an image to a SIMpad? Yes, using FABDATA info, but can you all reset or rewrite your FABDATA? Yes it is possible, hard but possible, even without a JTAG interface. Can I lock an image to your flash chip serial numbers, yes, but then I´m sure some clever spark knows how to reprogram that information too at flash chip level (I don´t by the way but imagine JTAG would make it possible). Even if I could do all those things, then I´m sure another clever person could binary edit the image to remove those checks in the first place... After a while you kind of get an idea where the software license holder is coming from.

I know this hurts my "business", actually a hobby, but I don't want to be hauled up infront of a judge any more than any of you do.

Best regards
Simon

Hi Simon,

I completely empathise with your dilema on distribution methods. If you enable a lock-in strategy such as the one you mentioned and somehow some clever person circumvented these measures and allowed unauthorised usage of it, would MS or Siemens sue you for it? Is that the implication that makes it an unattractive approach?

If each image is a unique ROM that is locked to a SIMpad, then it is the onus of ROM image owners to ensure that their ROM is secured. Consider a parallel case of software protection for uBook. They issue a file (registration key) to registered users that allows them to "unlock" the uBook app for usage without nag-screens. They also include in the Terms that if any such registration-key file is found to be distributed, they would disable it and subsequent versions of uBook would not work with it. This effectively makes it a high risk venture for any users to share their registration key file. The downside to this strategy is that users who have their system breached and registration key file stolen suffer from the "punishment" that was meant for rogue users. However, this is the same as when someone looses their keypouch or wallet and have their house burglarised or their credit cards misused. Granted, existing financial systems have built around and provides certain limited protection against such unfortunate events, there is still a certain amount of penalty that comes in with it.

So maybe the question might be, "Will you sue some users for distributing their ROM or will they be sued even if their ROM were stolen?" What about MS and Siemens? Sure, there will be lots of legal implications but as with every attempts to secure distribution of a prized entity, there will always be all the legal (and possibly moral) implications.

If MS distributes WindowsXP through boxes in retail shops and enforces legal usage through Activation, then maybe there should be some way to work out a scheme for distributing the ROM for Siemens SIMpad devices. What about a similar activation system where users "Activate" their installation through the internet? Since there is already the unique FABDATA info, unique user info and unique ROM image, why not implement a Activation scheme?

Having said all these, you deserve the right to weigh the costs of it all and make the final call. But in case you need a poll on how such a scheme would be taken by a SL4 user, consider it a YES from me.
wally not logged in
wally not logged in Page Icon Posted 2005-10-31 9:40 PM
#
Simon, thanks for posting. I certainly don't want you hauled before a judge! That said, Snappy raises excellent points. I can't see how anyone could prosecute you for distributing a reworked ROM that was freely distributed at one time by Siemens. IANAL so these fine points may mean nothing.

I really like activation over the internet. If you were supplying a non-working image to people then what possible grounds could anyone come after you?

I really hope the status quo will change in some way that doesn't require shipping to Europe. How about my idea of partnering with a North American firm ? No European shipping required.

I do like the idea of keying the image to a specific unit. That keeps casual thieves from passing images about.

Thanks for the factory reset tip to remove the weird icon. I'll try that soon.

One more thing. At some point, if you decide to quit the update business, would you release the image to the world for free or will it just disappear like so many other fine hpc products?
Simon
Simon Page Icon Posted 2005-11-05 3:54 PM
#
Hi,

Sounds like a good idea. Can you guys give me some idea of how many US SIMpad users might upgrade if we gave you a US mailing address to send to? By this I man if "YOU READING THIS" will, then let me know.

Please resond using the "contact us" part of the website http://www.mullengers.com.

Thanks
Simon
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-11-06 6:34 AM
#
H/PC Elder

wally not logged in - 2005-10-31 7:40 PM

One more thing. At some point, if you decide to quit the update business, would you release the image to the world for free or will it just disappear like so many other fine hpc products?

Wally, let's not ponder over this as yet. I think it would be unwise for simon to make any comments as it is. If he disagrees to set it free should he decide to quit, then he may be labelled by some as not being a good citizen. But if he does, I'm sure there will be some fellas out there who would just leave the update "for tomorrow" or until it becomes free. grrrr

For myself, I still prefer the download option as I want to minimize cost incurred, esp when it goes to services (like delivery) that I don't originally need for my device. A download option with activation would prob be the best, but it means some more work for Simon.
wallywithout cookies
wallywithout cookies Page Icon Posted 2005-11-07 2:33 AM
#
I'd ship to a US/Canadian address if needed, if there were no way an online system could be devised. I'd still prefer online though. In either case, I'd like the image tied to the SL4.

Why? If it leaks it might be easier to track down. don't know how that would diminish the damage but at least there's an idea of where it originated.

I find the SL4 an incredible machine and only imagine how much better it would be with Simons image.
Don Dunbar
Don Dunbar Page Icon Posted 2005-12-07 4:19 PM
#
I have a SIMpad SL4 with Handheld 2000 V3. I would like to use it for one function and that is a moving map display. I am using OziExplorer which runs fine. The problem I have is getting a GPS to work. In the PCMCIA slot I can use a CF card reader and read a CF memory card but it will not porwer up a GPS. If I could get a Blue tooth to work on it then I could use a Bluetooth GPS. Do you have any sugestions. Regards Don Dunbar
Simon
Simon Page Icon Posted 2005-12-14 2:34 PM
#
Hi, I have TomTom Navigator 5 running using the PCMCIA slot for the maps. I currently use the serial cable to link to a serial GPS mouse that sits on the dash. Its not elegant, but "I made it myself ;-)"
One day, when I get time, I want to get BlueTooth working over the internal serial port (DECT port to you SLC fans), but need a few days of piece and quiet to debug it.
Best regards
Simon
Simon
Simon Page Icon Posted 2005-12-14 2:37 PM
#
Web site woes - please use "http://www.mullenger.org" for the time being.
A little Confused
A little Confused Page Icon Posted 2006-03-21 3:16 AM
#
Hi guys, Which evc service pack supports WinCE 4.2 and which one spupports 4.21? I'm kinda confused.
Thanks!~
markg Page Icon Posted 2006-04-03 3:47 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Is the 4.2 update still available? Also, Is it customizable (I need for automation purposes to have a JVM installed, Jeode to be exact, as it seems to be the only one that works for me. My existing SIMpad has Jeode on it and works great. I'd be willing to pay more to have it "factory" installed as part of the upgrade)?
1 2 3 4 5
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 10