x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Creating custom ROM updates.

Martyn Page Icon Posted 2005-08-02 10:38 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi,

I'm shortly going to have access to the Enterprise Edition of Microsoft .NET progaming languges which I was planning to use for writing a view apps for my NetBook Pro.

Am I correct in thinking that Psion's idea is that although they occasionaly release a ROM update they really want larger corporates to creat their own customised rom's with all their software included?

If so what more do I need in order to do this and can I include programes like TextMaker and PlanMaker and WindowsCE 5.0

Thanks

Martyn Greville-Giddings
TwoPlus1
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-08-02 12:17 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Hi,

Windows CE doesn't come from visual studio .net, it comes from Platform Builder, a completly different product tree.

You can make windows ce 5.0 rom's with Platform Builder 5.0.
The only way to bundle PlanMaker and TextMaker would be to seek an OEM redistribution arrangement with SoftMaker for the licenses. I happen to know that SoftMaker are open to pursuing OEM contracts.
 Top of the page
Martyn Page Icon Posted 2005-08-02 12:24 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Great Thanks! How do I go about getting Platform Builder 5 and how much is it, I don't think anyone will let me just build one ROM with their software so will Psion let me do them comercialy do you think or will I have to wait until Psion stop supporting the NetBook Pro?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-08-02 12:39 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Anyone can release a ROM image for a Windows CE device, Psion cannot stop you from reflashing their hardware.

You need to contact Microsoft's OEM licensing division and request it. The commercial platform bulder is roughly £3000 - £5000, depending on the version.
 Top of the page
Pete P. Page Icon Posted 2005-08-02 12:56 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Wow! Do you really have to go through all that for an in-home OS? I can see that price if yuo plan on releasing the OS and all, IE distributing it as an addition or with a new product... but for a one-person job? :-P
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-08-02 2:10 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

For a one person job, with no redist rights you can use platform builder (5.0 only)and don't need to license Windows CE OS's themselves. You still do need a license for platform builder.
As for SoftMaker, you would have to consult with them on whether they are happy for you to do it with your own Text/PlanMaker lisences.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-02 2:16 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

nope, as no one will have you arrested (i hope)
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 45 - Executed queries : 29