x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Application suggestions?

mitsurugi Page Icon Posted 2004-11-12 10:35 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I'm looking for suggestions on something to program for the HPC. Are there any small, simple applications or utilities that might be helpful? What about porting any of the open source games from Linux? Where might I go to find some simple but fun games that could be ported over? Is there a "wishlist" of HPC apps where programmers can find inspiration? No promises on a due date... but I love the HPC I just bought, and perhaps it would be fun to write something for it, especially if it's just a port vs new development.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2004-11-12 11:12 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Web browser! just kidding

But I guess you should first look at what's already available, and perhaps decide rather to do a better job of the same application, or a different one. Handheld attitude (http://www.yetanotherhomepage.com/j7xx/j7xx.html) is a good place to start looking.

Actually I think any kind of small games would be welcome. I myself is thinking of porting/continuing a game (based on the Chinese card game "Big Two" ) which I wrote way back in college learning MFC.

Here's another idea... you know those typing lesson programs? They are usually packed with typing games to improve your speed. I always wondered how good (or bad) I'd do on the Jornada keyboard

BTW, should this thread go to Developers Arena?

Edited by takwu 2004-11-12 11:13 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-11-13 7:25 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Welcome to the world of H/PC's and to the forum. What device did you get?

Good thinking on a thread. It will be interesting to see peoples ideas.

One thing I see requested from an awful lot of users is a utility that you can use to soft reset the device with. Power users wil know that having to turn over some devices and amble around for the switch is a right pain.
The util wouldn't heven need a UI.
 Top of the page
Preacher Page Icon Posted 2004-11-13 8:27 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

A battery meter in the system tray would be a nice little utility.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-11-13 10:05 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

There are a couple. Theres one in the Plus! pack for 2.11 and 3
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2004-11-13 11:20 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Before doing anything, check out Rainer Keuchel's contributions at http://www.wince-devel.org

And sign up to help the web browser port

Welcome to the forums
 Top of the page
mitsurugi Page Icon Posted 2004-11-13 1:22 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

OK I will check out the other apps.

I have owned a MobilePro 880 for about 3 years (HPC Pro); last week I purchased a MobilePro 790 (HPC2000) also. And the smaller form factor is pretty cool. The screen refresh seems faster, probably because it's 1/2 the data.

I have a wireless card for each; using the Linksys WPC11 driver which works well.

Nearterm I don't see myself contributing to the web browser app just because it's an enormous challenge. I'd rather start small, with something I know I can do. While there are a lot of pocket-sized apps for WinCE / PPC, the smaller shareware / freeware apps seem pretty scarce.

I deliberately did not post this on the Developer area because I thought it would be more visible to non-developers here - and that's who I wanted feedback from.
 Top of the page
ET3D Page Icon Posted 2004-11-13 6:32 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I'm planning to start small, too, which is why I'm not suggesting anything. I mean, if I tell you what small apps I want, what would be left for me to do?
 Top of the page
mitsurugi Page Icon Posted 2004-11-13 8:50 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

does the Plus pack from 2.11 work in 3, or is there a different release?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-11-13 9:38 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

It works under HPC Pro and HPC2000 (3.0). Yes.
 Top of the page
cyranoses
cyranoses Page Icon Posted 2004-11-19 4:57 PM
#
How about developing the RichEdit control into a full blown activex. Less experienced programmers such as myself could use the fire out of it.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2004-11-21 3:55 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Ooh ooh I can't find a processor monitor anywhere! Lol that would be a nice system tray utility.

-By the way, anyone know where I can learn c++ so I can help out too?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-11-21 8:06 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

There is a task manager with processor charting, here:
http://www001.upp.so-net.ne.jp/ishi/wince/itaskmgr/index.html

Local colleges here do starter courses at various points in the year - usually over school term time. They are a good place to start.
I don't know if that's relevant to you as you didn't say where on our little sphere you are
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 12