x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Colinux on PC (useful for prepping the linux part on CFs)

1 2
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-08-03 11:42 PM
#
H/PC Elder

As some of us folks have one time or another tried to install linux or *nix on our HPCs, we stumble on some distro that require a *nix machine to setup the CF card itself.

http://www.colinux.org allows one to run linux on a XP desktop machine, ala VirtualMachine.

I just tried it out with the debian image and it is pretty straight forward to set it up. I'm trying to figure out how to allow the image to do a DHCP lease to my router, but more on that later.

Read the following for installation instructions ...

http://wiki.colinux.org/cgi-bin/GettingStarted

(colinux0.JPG)

(colinux1.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments colinux0.JPG (67KB - 51 downloads)
Attachments colinux1.JPG (99KB - 44 downloads)
 Top of the page
anakin
anakin Page Icon Posted 2005-08-04 4:19 AM
#
So how to prepare the CF Cards using the colinux?
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-08-04 8:43 AM
#
H/PC Elder

anakin - 2005-08-04 2:19 AM

So how to prepare the CF Cards using the colinux?

erm, assuming you do it on a PC with a card reader, you should be able to mount the CF card via

# mount /mnt/cf /dev/hde0

the actual parameters *may* vary, depending on how many IDE devices you already have.

I'll try to install the gentoo image. It should have a GUI thingie which would make things easier.
 Top of the page
anakin
anakin Page Icon Posted 2005-09-04 2:49 AM
#
Minimal effort on "Linux" side will be better when preparing Jlime on a CF since what actually we need is just some simple command to preparing the partion and untar the miniroot image.

Personaly I prefer to use Knoppix, no need to config anything, comparing to colinux. I'm looking for Linux fdisk/cfdisk porting to Win32, .... is there any?
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-09-05 1:21 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Check into Cygwin. http://www.cygwin.com/

I have not tried Cygwin/X before, but it may also interest you. http://x.cygwin.com/

Cygwin is basically a huge port of linux applications to windows. Its installer is relatively easy to use as well. (Net install)

Note: You will want a high-speed internet connection if you want to install the full distro.

But back to the basics here, just the base with cfdisk is not very large.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-09-05 2:09 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Anakin and PS, thanks for the tips. I'll look them up sometime and if post some primer on them for those who want a simple way to get linux running on their machine for prepping their CF disks for linux distros to run on their HPC.

If you guys have first hand experience on these distros, you may also start a thread on it and I'll make them sticky for users
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-09-05 3:10 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Awesome. I'll fiddle with Cygwin soon. Since it uses exe's, maybe we could make a batch file or some sort of other automated script for windows that would format a 10mb fat and then the other partition just a maximum size ext2.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-05 10:57 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

ProgramSynthesiser - 2005-09-05 9:10 AM

Awesome. I'll fiddle with Cygwin soon. Since it uses exe's, maybe we could make a batch file or some sort of other automated script for windows that would format a 10mb fat and then the other partition just a maximum size ext2.

wow yes awesome that's what we (totally newbies at linux) need!!
 Top of the page
anakin
anakin Page Icon Posted 2005-09-08 1:50 AM
#
ProgramSynthesiser - 2005-09-05 2:10 PM

AFAIK, Cygwin does not have a porting of linux fdisk for creating ext2 filesystem on top of windows filesystem, why? Linux fdisk depend on capability of doing ioctls and raw reads and writes to the /dev/[hs]d[a-z] nodes, which aren't emulated in Cygwin.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-09-08 2:37 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Ok. Well there still must be a way to make a script that formats it for them, maybe there is a windows program that does something similar...it is something that would take some thought and I do not have any time for a little bit.
 Top of the page
anakin
anakin Page Icon Posted 2005-09-08 9:50 PM
#
AFAIK, DOS/Windows 9x (not XP/NT) based fdisk utility that support Linux partition (and many others partition type) is the efdisk utility that comes with MasterBooter the multi boot utility. However, I really never tested this utility ... any volunteer??
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-09-09 6:08 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Link?
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-09-09 10:34 PM
#
H/PC Elder

ProgramSynthesiser - 2005-09-09 4:08 PM

Link?

psst ... google it ...

Here ... http://www.masterbooter.com/main/news.php?lang=en
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-09-09 10:45 PM
#
H/PC Elder

That's what happens when you are doing a ton of projects at once.

If I didn't have the link I would research something else instead.

-What? I'm doing a lot.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-09-10 1:41 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Shareware?
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.312 - Cached queries : 47 - Executed queries : 32