x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

OMG : Jornada 720 plays Youtube

1 2
joval Page Icon Posted 2020-12-11 4:24 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Hi ntware!

Exactamundo my friend! Your post lured me onto this wild ride path...so I say... thanks a plenty! I had no idea what X11 was/is or that it was a creation of Linux...and Stefan wisely included Xterm (now I know why it has that name) in his Debian/Duvean J720 port. All this works on J720 with 32Mb only. You guys are great!

About your post...Lots of good ideas there! (I think I would settle for an Xterm compatible winCE app that would run on Cmonex's .Net 4.2 for my MP900c's.)
And yes, the old jornada VNC app was sooo-o-o painfully slow.

oh, just looked up those nano Neo boards...yes...cheaper and in a cute compact case...Quad core for 20 bucks! Currently using Quad core RasPi 3 B+...what I've had laying around for 5 years...but if I needed new that looks like the route to go(although needs usb-wifi for 7 bucks more...so nearly the same price but newer faster memory chips. Let us know how things turn out...and we can exchange tips.

Edited by joval 2020-12-11 5:15 PM
 Top of the page
_dev-null Page Icon Posted 2020-12-11 6:13 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

ntware - 2020-12-11 3:49 PM

Also, another thing that might be nice would be to grab 5V somewhere from the Jornada motherboard to feed the Pi directly, dropping the need for a cel phone charger. This would be a near perfect retrofit. The next step would be to just move the Pi inside the CF/PCMCIA slot.

Yes, you can grab 5V from the Jornada mainboard, i have done this for my usb mod. You can solder two wires on to the capacitor, above the keyboard connector. Here is a picture: http://www.sp-net.at/wiki/lib/exe/detail.php?id=jornada_j720_usb_ho...

Stefan
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2020-12-11 11:35 PM
#
H/PC Elite

joval - 2020-12-11 11:24 AM
About your post...Lots of good ideas there! (I think I would settle for an Xterm compatible winCE app that would run on Cmonex's .Net 4.2 for my MP900c's.)
And yes, the old jornada VNC app was sooo-o-o painfully slow.

oh, just looked up those nano Neo boards...yes...cheaper and in a cute compact case...Quad core for 20 bucks! Currently using Quad core RasPi 3 B+...what I've had laying around for 5 years...but if I needed new that looks like the route to go(although needs usb-wifi for 7 bucks more...so nearly the same price but newer faster memory chips. Let us know how things turn out...and we can exchange tips.

You don’t need xterm for WinCE. What you need is a port of X (or X11) client, the piece of software that connects to and draws windows generated by a X Server (in your case the raspberry pi). I’ve read on this forum some posts about a lost port of X for WinCE. I don’t know if anyone found that or was able to recompile it, but giving the limitations of WinCE, I bet the port will be super slow or incomplete.

On the Nano Pi boards, you don’t need a USB WiFi dongle. You can use the Ethernet jack to connect to the Jornada directly with a NE2000 compatible pcmcia card. Also, the Nano Pi 1 is dirt cheap, at $9 for the base model. Totally worth it!
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2020-12-12 2:20 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Hi Stephan!!
Just can't thank you enough for your great and wonderful contribution of the Devuan port for the J720...life saving you might say...what a great package with fluxbox,xterm, the workspaces styles, etc. And a superb way to lure the unsuspecting innocent into learning Linux! Powerful stuff and such fun as you know with the Jornada in hand.

The usb mod is new to me...the photos look great. I checked the power usage on my RasPi 3 B+ with its quad core cpu...runs around 0.4 amps. Do you think the power source you used is enough to power it. I see you're using the Pi zero which is single core and I assume less power hungry....how does it do running Firefox or VNC?? Are you using wifi to connect to it or do you have an ethernet"mod"?

I'm Pleased to know you like the RasPi hybrid idea too. What's great is they both use the same/similar debian commands and applications. Today I was unable toget the two connected and after more hours than I'd like to admit...troubleshooting...I discovered that dnsmasq service just needed to be started!

So...once again this post is written from my Jornada 720 running on Devuan/X11/RasPi via Firefox!

Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2020-12-12 5:38 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

you can hear the rain now ...coming down hard outside as it hits the skylights...the first real rainfall of the season... and much needed for only last year the largest forest fire in California history was raging largely unchecked...nearby...very nearby...stopped only about 8 mmiles from here. But today is a different story as the myiad thirsty Oaks,redwoods...etc... get their wishes granted They and all look so pristine and clean as if attending a fancy lavish banquet.
Its cooler,a bit nippy in the mid 40's and the swimming pool is filled with...ice water This I know from having to claw out the many falling amber and rust colored leaves from the their seeming swim in the brink, and from the skimmer basket, quite stuffed like a turkey. Now it is nightime and the rain is more intense as noted above..and yet it is peaceful and I am warm...having nutured and slowly built up a gorgeous and delicously heart warming fire in the rarely used Vermont Castings decorative high efficiency wood burning stove...such a special occasion to be savored as I sit here , Jornada 720 on my lap,leaning back in my soft cushey easy chair ...listening to James Taylor going to Carolina on Youtube while I write and edit... and attempt to capture one of the precious special moments that Life and a Jornada 720 can only create. Enjoy!

Edited by joval 2020-12-12 6:08 AM
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2020-12-12 4:04 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

FYI...One big advantage to Stefan's inclusion of Xterm and its ability to forward gui windows from the RasPi: you only have to install your programs/apps on the RasPi.

Firefox, VNC server and even the VNC viewer are easily, rapidly installed on RasPi with the "apt-get install xyzprogram"!!! This is so powerful as installing apps on the jornada is painfully slow and often unsuccessful with big programs...quite the opposite from the RasPi. Really, that's a dream come true.

The workspace windows readily toggle...so I can have VNC viewer open in one, Raspi command line in another via Xterm/ssh, and the Jornada debian bash command line in another! So listening to a youtube podcast or video I can toggle rapidly to the raspi command line and run "alsamixer" and adjust the sound level, then toggle to the Jornada command line and run "apm" to check battery level status and then toggle back to VNC running Chrome youtube videos or Firefox!!

Furthermore,because I enlarged the sdcard first partition to 12 Gb as Fat 32 I can mount it and save files there that can be accessed by either the WinCE OS/programs or the Devuan Os/programs providing a great Dual Boot share-feature. That's also where the winCE hp backup file is stored to restore your previous winCE sesion (provided you backed up prior to booting into Linux/Devuan) since Devuan boot erases the total WinCe memory.
Do a hard reset to return to WinCE (from the Devuan "left-over white screen" )then hp restore and you're back home to stock J720 with its great battery life (or just remove the backup coin battery and hard reset by popping out the main battery for a second and then replacing it back followed by hp restore).

So, you CAN have your cake and eat it too! Yummy!! So stop drooling and get cooking!!!

This was posted from my J720 running Devuan/X11/RasPi/Firefox!!

Edited by joval 2020-12-12 4:54 PM
 Top of the page
Mjolnir Page Icon Posted 2020-12-12 5:02 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

joval - 2020-12-12 4:04 PM ...Do a hard reset to return to WinCE (from the Devuan "left-over white screen" then hp restore and you're back home to stock J720 ( or just remove the backup coin battery and hard reset by popping out the main battery for a second and then replacing it back followed by hp restore). ...
Have you tried the 'Alt' and arrow keys?
When I reboot WinCE from Debian on my J820 I often recover the 'white' screen by doing this:

(20201212_1051_J820_Screen.PNG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 20201212_1051_J820_Screen.PNG (26KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2020-12-15 2:01 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Mjolnir - 2020-12-12 9:02 AM

joval - 2020-12-12 4:04 PM ...Do a hard reset to return to WinCE (from the Devuan "left-over white screen" then hp restore and you're back home to stock J720 ( or just remove the backup coin battery and hard reset by popping out the main battery for a second and then replacing it back followed by hp restore). ...
When I reboot WinCE from Debian on my J820 I often recover the 'white' screen by doing this:

Unfortunately neither alt + < nor alt + arrow key do a darn thing in the Duvean port ...seems to erase the driver or something "daemonic". Would be nice to have a fix for that.

How well does debian run on your J820...do ssh and x11 function( or VNC viewer)?? RasPi really expands functionality.

Edited by joval 2020-12-15 2:02 PM
 Top of the page
Mjolnir Page Icon Posted 2020-12-15 7:01 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

joval - 2020-12-15 2:01 PM

Mjolnir - 2020-12-12 9:02 AM

Unfortunately neither alt + < nor alt + arrow key do a darn thing in the Duvean port ...seems to erase the driver or something "daemonic". Would be nice to have a fix for that.

How well does debian run on your J820...do ssh and x11 function( or VNC viewer)?? RasPi really expands functionality.
Runs fairly well with the 2.4.3 kernel. I haven't got X working but I do have wireless and use w3m for text viewing. I've never tried to use ssh or VNC.
Perhaps I misunderstood you regarding the 'white screen.' My device, the Jornada 820, sometimes exhibits an unreadable screen after I resume using WinCe. I can recover the screen by using the procedure I posted above. On occasion I also lose the touch pad and have to tab to the correct screen to 'reset.'
As with your device I can mount the Fat partition and 'write' to it and I also keep the recovery file there. After rebooting WinCe I run that and then the device is able to use it's usb port for storage devices. If I spent more time on it it is probably certainly capable of more than I am.

Edited by Mjolnir 2020-12-15 7:03 PM
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-01-04 3:26 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

_dev-null - 2020-12-11 10:13 AM

ntware - 2020-12-11 3:49 PM

Also, another thing that might be nice would be to grab 5V somewhere from the Jornada motherboard to feed the Pi directly, dropping the need for a cel phone charger. This would be a near perfect retrofit. The next step would be to just move the Pi inside the CF/PCMCIA slot.

Yes, you can grab 5V from the Jornada mainboard, i have done this for my usb mod. You can solder two wires on to the capacitor, above the keyboard connector. Here is a picture: http://www.sp-net.at/wiki/lib/exe/detail.php?id=jornada_j720_usb_ho...

Stefan

Hi Stefan! Did you actually get the USB port to work as master/slave?? I viewed your wiki on it but it wasn't clear if it actually worked, ie., recognized files on a thumb drive, etc...I suppose it would be a USB 1.1 rating/speed.I'm wondering if an usb wifi mini dongle could possibly work...it works on the RasPi 1 (i suppose that's USB 2.0)...I think maybe the RasPi (debian) driver might work. What say you??

something like this:
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 9