x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Any HP 200LX owners in the house?

jorel101 Page Icon Posted 2020-12-10 5:04 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hey guys it's been awhile since I've been on here but I'm back! I recently dug up my HP 200LX and my Jornada 720 to play with. I kind of missed out on the DOS golden age and I'm trying to catch up with the 200lx. So here's my question. Do any of you know of any email messaging system that would work in DOS to grab email from a secure server like gmail? I found a guy that makes some add-ons for Pegasus mail but I'm not sure it would work on very low memory computers (640k). This is what I found http://macall.net/#pmsmtp and http://macall.net/#pmpull . Aside from this I haven't had very much luck locating anything that might work. Anybody got any ideas? Does anybody try to live in DOS these days?

Edited by jorel101 2020-12-10 5:12 PM
 Top of the page Quote Reply
Mjolnir Page Icon Posted 2020-12-10 7:30 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I have 'Arachne' on the dos side of one of my old Win 95 machines. I have used it to 'surf', over dial-up and to pull email but it's been a very long time ago.
"Arachne is a discontinued Internet suite containing a graphical web browser, email client, and dialer.[2] Originally, Arachne was developed by Michal Polák[1] under his xChaos label, a name he later changed into Arachne Labs. It was written in C and compiled using Borland C++ 3.1.[3] Arachne has since been released under the GPL as Arachne GPL.

Arachne primarily runs on DOS-based operating systems, but includes builds for Linux as well.[4] The Linux version relies on SVGALib and therefore does not require a display server." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arachne_(web_browser)
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2020-12-10 9:51 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Hi jorel,

Had one briefly....great device...

Hopefully, ol' Jake will chime in, think he can advise....he's very knowledgeable about 200LX use.

Mark

CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2020-12-10 10:45 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I've had one for several years now, though it hasn't gotten a lot of attention lately.
Jake Page Icon Posted 2020-12-12 3:38 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
I couldn't even get AOL on my 200LX. Only email app I tried was POST/LX, actually freeware now. Effective for Earthlink and other 110-port email apps, but anything security-related, I couldn't get to work, and couldn't find alternative.

Downloading email, while very cool on 200LX (I use rss-to-email), is glacial nonetheless, so perhaps you could set up a security-light email and forward only the necessaries from gmail to said account.

Jake
hpc12 Page Icon Posted 2020-12-12 8:04 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I have 1 mb 200lx that sits on the shelf doing... not much.

Great addition to the collection though.

Double A battery HPCs have a special feeling to them.
michelbel Page Icon Posted 2022-01-06 9:58 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

Huizen, Netherlands (~20 miles from Amsterdam)
Only about 70 100LX and 200LX's left, mostly disassembled - for upgrades and repairs as 200lx.net. Some 8 as ready to use or (95LX) museum pieces. In real use: one 32MB version running Super Software Carrousel: six palmtops in one.

Michel
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2022-01-07 6:07 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I knew we'd be hearing from michelbel again once we created this new forum. Welcome back.
frisser Page Icon Posted 2022-02-12 11:00 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I own a 200LX and 100LX. Thanks to michelbel (the man, the legend, the myth) for repairing and upgrading the 200LX and also providing the orginal manuals for the 200LX and 100LX.
Great machines!

(I forgot I still owe michelbel something... )
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 44 - Executed queries : 32