x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

HTC Advantage X7500 - Questions

ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2020-12-11 6:56 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Hi,

Hope someone can please advise....

Recently got a HTC Advantage X7500 in like new condition.

[ For some info about the next gen version, the X710 (very similar to mine), there's a review of device on HPCFactor: ]

https://www.hpcfactor.com/reviews/hardware/htc/advantage-X7510/

Have some questions about my X7500:

1. OS & Upgrades

System Info screen says:

Windows Mobile 6 Professional

CE OS 5.2.138 (Build 17745.0.2.3)

Is there any logic or relationship between being on WM 6 vs version 5 of WinCE ? (seems odd that different version #'s 6 vs 5....)

Anyone know if there's any OS or other upgrades available?

2. WiFi Connection - Guest Network at Work

Would like to use X7500 at work by connecting to the 'guest network' wifi. However, it uses a 'captive portal' login page, that you have to get to with a web browser and then click on the button on that page to accept the terms and conditions.

I've tried getting to the login page with both IE and Opera. However, neither will connect to the page.

IE tries to connect to the page, but then I get page that says "Session timed out" and it has a 'retry' link on it. Try the 'retry' link, but get the same error again.

If I try with Opera, it tries to connect, but get window pop up that says, "Unable to complete secure transaction.

In Opera settings, under Security Protocols I have the box checked for 'Enable SSL 2', 'Enable SSL 3', and 'Enable TLS 1'.

3. Other Programs

Any programs to suggest that might work well on this device?

Thanks for any and all input!

Mark

Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2020-12-12 3:28 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Hey, Mark,

I have a X7501 (Windows Mobile 6.0 Professional). I use:

Appu Softkey
TextMaker 2010
WkTASK
Pocket Codeworks Thesaurus
TCPMP
HanDBase
TascalSoft Tre Registry Editor
PHM Registry Editor
Funambol Sync
RSSHub
LVM Second Clock
GSPlayer
MagiKB Lite
Total Commander

As for Opera, IE, etc, I'm not surprised you're not connecting. No matter what your internet setup, very few sites are available, . Even Opera Mini doesn't go anywhere far. The security is long out of date, it would seem.

As for your OS, I always thought the stock OS was 5.0 on the X7500. Perhaps previous owner had updated to 6.0, so that's great news. Nothing HTC-official past 6.0 for X7500 or X7501--6.1 and beyond appear to be custom ROM only, and I can't find any working links for such (eg: in xda developers).

Jake

Edited by Jake 2020-12-12 3:47 AM
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2020-12-12 5:07 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

ArchiMark - 2020-12-12 3:56 AM

Hi,

Hope someone can please advise....

Recently got a HTC Advantage X7500 in like new condition.

[ For some info about the next gen version, the X710 (very similar to mine), there's a review of device on HPCFactor: ]

https://www.hpcfactor.com/reviews/hardware/htc/advantage-X7510/

Have some questions about my X7500:

1. OS & Upgrades

System Info screen says:

Windows Mobile 6 Professional

CE OS 5.2.138 (Build 17745.0.2.3)

Is there any logic or relationship between being on WM 6 vs version 5 of WinCE ? (seems odd that different version #'s 6 vs 5....)

According to Wikipedia:
"Windows CE 5.x is the base OS for Windows Mobile 6.0, 6.1 and 6.5. On the x86 platform, Windows CE 5.0 competes against Microsoft's other embedded operating systems, Windows XP Embedded and its predecessor Windows NT Embedded. "

So Windows CE 5.x seems to be the base Windows CE version for those devices (WM 6.0, 6.1, 6.5).

According to HTC Advantage X7500's information on Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTC_Advantage_X7500

it mentions about there was a T-Mobile upgrade to WM6.0. Maybe it's that ROM, or somebody flashed a xda-developer's ROM?

Edited by stingraze 2020-12-12 5:07 AM
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2020-12-12 5:32 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

@ Jake

Thanks for all your input and info!

I poked around XDA too looking for ROMs...but as you say, links don't work....the most recent posts are from 4 - 7 years ago.....

Too bad, as the X75xx are great pocket devices....

I think the X7500 I got was either originally from Germany or UK, but I could be wrong.

@ Stingraze

According to Wikipedia:
"Windows CE 5.x is the base OS for Windows Mobile 6.0, 6.1 and 6.5.

Thanks for all your input and info!

So, if per the quote above, WinCE 5.x is base for Windows Mobile 6, then I don't understand why you say that someone updated the OS?

So, that everyone knows, part of the reason I asked about this is that it seems very strange numbering system to WinCE 5 for Win Mobile 6....would have thought it would make sense to have WinCE 5 for Win Mobile 5, WinCE 6 for Win Mobile 6....although even this seems more complicated than it needs to be to me....Why do they need to have both names? Why not just have WinCE 5 or Win Mobile 5, etc. ?

Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2020-12-12 5:57 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Yeah I don't understand it either, but I think Microsoft forked WM 6 onwards based on Windows CE 5.x and the Windows CE 6.0 onwards as embedded OS, not necessarily for smartphones of that era. I remember Windows CE 6.0 being used a lot for GPS devices and cheap Chinese netbooks.

Edited by stingraze 2020-12-12 5:57 AM
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2020-12-13 1:36 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Thanks for the info, stingraze....yes, very odd and confusing identification system.

Top of the page
fantablium Page Icon Posted 2020-12-17 6:52 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Just seen this thread, I dug out my x7500 last week so thats a coincidence! Mine is also running WM6. Just wondering if you know of any decent task switching apps? I'm used to the start bar on the j720 and find swapping apps a real pain in the pocket pc/WM environment.

Thanks
Huw
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2020-12-17 9:29 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

http://soft.photoracer.net/docs/wktask_en.html

This'll put the icons of open windows/apps on the taskbar.

Jake
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2020-12-18 3:11 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Jake - 2020-12-11 7:28 PM

Hey, Mark,

I have a X7501 (Windows Mobile 6.0 Professional). I use:

Appu Softkey
TextMaker 2010
WkTASK
Pocket Codeworks Thesaurus
TCPMP
HanDBase
TascalSoft Tre Registry Editor
PHM Registry Editor
Funambol Sync
RSSHub
LVM Second Clock
GSPlayer
MagiKB Lite
Total Commander

Remember some of these apps, but some not familiar with....will check them out, thanks!

As for Opera, IE, etc, I'm not surprised you're not connecting. No matter what your internet setup, very few sites are available, . Even Opera Mini doesn't go anywhere far. The security is long out of date, it would seem.

[Snip...]

Jake

Hmmmm....was really hoping to be able to connect to guest network at work with it.....dang!

Wish I could use dev-null's Devuan on it......

Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2020-12-18 4:59 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Try Opera Mini, maybe 5.1 (6.x makes you install a boatload of Java). But I don't have a good feeling. For instance, with Mini, I can get into hpcfactor.com, all the way to login screen, but then c:amie looms and says I need an updated browser. I can't even load hpc:factor with Opera Mobile.

Jake
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2020-12-18 5:36 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Jake - 2020-12-18 8:59 AM

Try Opera Mini, maybe 5.1 (6.x makes you install a boatload of Java). But I don't have a good feeling. For instance, with Mini, I can get into hpcfactor.com, all the way to login screen, but then c:amie looms and says I need an updated browser. I can't even load hpc:factor with Opera Mobile.

Jake

OK, will try it.

Understand your point about unlikely positive results....but will try.

Thanks.
 Top of the page
fantablium Page Icon Posted 2020-12-18 6:51 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Thank you Jake, you are a gent, I will install it now!
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2020-12-18 10:17 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

That developer did amazing work. Do check out LVM for other taskbar treats, like date/time.

Jake
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.201 - Cached queries : 50 - Executed queries : 30