x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

J720: WinCE+Devuan-WHY You're Gonna Love this Combo

joval Page Icon Posted 2020-12-17 4:41 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

I'm starting this thread in part to inform all Jornada720 owners that a revolution is at hand... that resurrects these little beasties back into the remarkable Giants they once were.

The vehicle that makes this "jailbreak" possible is Dev_Null (Stefan)'s incredible port of Devuan (a debian linux variation) OS to the J720...which allows X11 forwarding (essentially a bare bones type of remote desktop of sorts.

When wedded (ArchiMark's term of endearment) to a cheap battery powered RaspberryPi (running raspbian a close debian relative) via atethered pcmcia ethernet card... the entire internet and all its content becomes availlable! All entirely portable.

Webpages can then be easily downloaded /copied to the Fat32 partition and thus are viewable in WinCE using AlReader2 when offline... which preserves WinCE's outstanding battery life (that devuan falls far shorter on).

that's a thumb nail sketch of the layout for now... but hold onto your seats... more to follow

oh, this i posted from my J720 using the above method
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2020-12-18 3:19 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

joval - 2020-12-17 8:41 AM

I'm starting this thread in part to inform all Jornada720 owners that a revolution is at hand... that resurrects these little beasties back into the remarkable Giants they once were.

The vehicle that makes this "jailbreak" possible is Dev_Null (Stefan)'s incredible port of Devuan (a debian linux variation) OS to the J720...which allows X11 forwarding (essentially a bare bones type of remote desktop of sorts.

Thanks for starting this thread....

When wedded (ArchiMark's term of endearment) to a cheap battery powered RaspberryPi (running raspbian a close debian relative) via atethered pcmcia ethernet card... the entire internet and all its content becomes availlable! All entirely portable.

Say what???????

Webpages can then be easily downloaded /copied to the Fat32 partition and thus are viewable in WinCE using AlReader2 when offline... which preserves WinCE's outstanding battery life (that devuan falls far shorter on).

that's a thumb nail sketch of the layout for now... but hold onto your seats... more to follow

oh, this i posted from my J720 using the above method

Look forward to learning more details and how to info.....

Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2020-12-20 6:06 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Some views of the 2 setups:

one with RasPi 3 B+ ($25) with glue gun + clear plastic pseudo-case and 4Ah battery ($12) lasts over 6 hours and

second is with RasPi 4 kit ($89) and internal Hi-Definition CAM($20) and 10Ah battery (lasts over 9 hrs with PI4) and great sounding rechargable blue tooth speaker

note ultra thin ethernet ribbon cable too...(I will explore wireless as well...but with 32 Mb stock J720 slows things down in wep...for now this works GREAT)!

Screen shows chrome browser full screen playing youtube music video/playlists...booting Devuan with X11 forwarding and VNC viewer.

Details to follow. Oh, how funny that song "Come a little bit Closer" now playing...got to go.... or I may be in "trouble plenty"!!

Edited by joval 2020-12-20 6:18 PM

(j720_RasPi3.jpg)

(j720_RPi3_batteryOff.jpg)

(j720_RasPi4_BluToSpkr.jpg)

(RPi4_kit+Camera+10AhBat.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments j720_RasPi3.jpg (142KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments j720_RPi3_batteryOff.jpg (308KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments j720_RasPi4_BluToSpkr.jpg (165KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments RPi4_kit+Camera+10AhBat.JPG (296KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2020-12-20 7:14 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Thanks for the pics and description!

Start to get a better idea of what this is about.....

So...assume:

- Dock is optional

- Using PC card Ethernet card

- RPi4 kit came with the enclosure

Is the Camera to take photos or use as webcam or both or ?

Thanks.

Mark

Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2020-12-21 1:18 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

ArchiMark - 2020-12-20 11:14 AM

Thanks for the pics and description!

Start to get a better idea of what this is about.....

So...assume:

- Dock is optional

- Using PC card Ethernet card

- RPi4 kit came with the enclosure

Is the Camera to take photos or use as webcam or both or ?

Thanks.

Mark

All of your points are true, although I have yet to try out the camera...it can be motion sensing, etc.

Both the Pi3 and Pi4 are QUAD CORE running around 1 GHz. I have 2 Pi3's purchased several years ago laying around unused until now...they seem more than adequate for a J720 X11 setup...a little slowdown when playing videos and changing windows etc.

The Pi4 is a bit of overkill...has dual 4K mini HDMI outputs, basic cost is $45 but add beefy power supply with on-off switch, sturdy case with electric fan and camera mount, mini heat sinks, 32Gb microSD card with Raspian (debian)OS and various useful programs including the SSH and VNC server needed here (just need to install vnc-viewer , don't forget the hyphen when installing). Time wise it's a good deal and you can take it anywhere and run off batteries or power plug...and when not employed as a J720 extension it's a powerful little internet media server to hook up to large screen TV or monitor with blue tooth speakers,etc.

So...either model will suffice. I question whether the SINGLE core models such as the Pi Zero can handle the load...maybe Stefan can let us know. (My old RasPi 1 with single core was way too slow to be useful)

Thing is...I had the RasPi 3 in a drawer unused with no interest in learning debian Os...for several years. All that has changed as I learn what they are capable of. Taking the J720 along with the Pi3/battery...well, it gives me the best of both worlds/ devices. I have the P4 now as an "early Christmas present" (wink wink nod nod) just to compare Pi3 vs P4 (the box is under the Christmas tree...I like to think Santa would approve).

I'm posting this using the J720 + Pi3 combo...a very pleasant experience. The dock helps stabilize and charge the J720 as it sits on my lap ...previously only used for charging ...again, quite pleasant for my "finger picking" style (yes, not unlike my guitars..now there's another idea to add to the mix).

Edited by joval 2020-12-21 1:35 PM
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2020-12-21 3:09 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Thanks for the additional info.....very helpful.

How much does the entire setup weigh?

Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2020-12-24 2:57 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

ArchiMark - 2020-12-18 7:19 AM

Thanks for starting this thread....

Yes, Mark, I kinda felt like all the treasure was hidden "down under" on the Linux forum...I wanted to get it to the audience that will benefit the most. What is absolutely fantastic is it is very much the same modern debian version found on the RasPi...so all the multitude of supported RasPi programs easily run thru the X11 interface with NO need to even install them on the J720! Super fast and super easy IMO. You just have to learn to use the secure shell (SSH) in the form of scp (secure copy ) to transfer files between the two ...to the shared FAT32 partition.. (so WinCE can view and work with them offline)

When wedded (ArchiMark's term of endearment) to a cheap battery powered RaspberryPi (running raspbian a close debian relative) via a tethered pcmcia ethernet card... the entire internet and all its content becomes availlable! All entirely portable.

Say what???????

Please pardon my paraphrasing your "good marriage" comment into the above "wedded"...no wedgie activity causing friction, I hope, you clever fellow you. I say it's a marriage made in heaven and ...that fell to earth smack dab right into the very heart of the HPCFactor. ( Now, there are some who say I exaggerate...or worse... that I suffer from logorrhea , ie.,being a bit too wordy ...but... I forgive them)!!!

best regards,
John

Edited by joval 2020-12-24 3:08 AM
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2020-12-24 5:07 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

No worries (or wedgies either.....), John.....Get it now....bit slow on the uptake, I guess.....but then been a bit crazy this year......

My office is conveniently located in a hospital......

best regards & happy new year!

Mark
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2022-07-11 4:59 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Hi Fellow Factorites!

The latest Devuan disk images now available here on HPC:Factor are working very well... found in the download section

On a J728 or equivalent it takes a little less than 2 minutes from clicking on the Linux Penguin icon until the IceWM windows show up with Jornada-config window and a 2nd Xterminal window.

Wifi works well in WPA mode with select cards and firmware... with automatic date and time updating on boot up.

Takes about 3 minutes to boot up on stock J720.

The "dual boot" option works well also... provided you save a WinCE backup file to the large FAT32 partition to restore from.

joval on his J72(8)/Devuan/WPA/RasPi4/VNC beastie

Edited by joval 2022-07-11 5:02 PM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.199 - Cached queries : 48 - Executed queries : 30