x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

EPOC/PSION sub forum?

1 2
munchausen Page Icon Posted 2021-01-02 7:54 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

The old psionplace forums are long gone, and these days most discussion takes place on facebook, but it is not really suited to forum types of discussion. Hpcfactor has been around a long time and does not seem to be going anywhere.. Would it be possible to open a psion forum here on hpcfactor?
 Top of the page Quote Reply
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-01-02 12:23 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Possible yes, but it would be on the understanding that this is a Windows CE H/PC site and I have no personal desire or interest in changing that. I'd also need to know what you are proposing in terms of needs and scope. I would also want to see proof that there is enough support to make it worth while and would need some of your community leaders to step up and pro-actively get involved to take responsibility for moderating it.

Finally, if my community here vocalise that they don't like the idea, then it can't happen either - they're the boss
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2021-01-02 12:59 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I'm inclined to agree with C:Amie. I was drawn to this site myself in its early days because of my specific interest in the desktop-like classic Windows CE interface. Like with Android devices, we can always discuss Epoc-based devices under Off Topic.
munchausen Page Icon Posted 2021-01-02 2:26 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

I guess thats fair enough, but I would argue that there is a big cross over in interests between the communities. I for example have been a member and reader of this forum for years and own many psion machines as well as many CE devices. And you have some psion related posts here too. The psion users fb group has over 500 users, but I have not asked there if there would be interest in moving to a traditional forum.
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2021-01-02 3:31 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I wouldn't mind having one, seeing the Psion / EPOC is one of my favorite handhelds. I've even tried operating my own "misc" handheld forum but I just don't have the time unfortunately.
Jake Page Icon Posted 2021-01-02 3:34 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
I must admit that I would like to see a Psion sub forum here, though I appreciate/respect C:Amie's concerns.

I still use my Psions and while I subscribe to the email Psion Digest (run by incredible stalwarts), more and more of the users have long given up their Psions--sometimes, it's hard to find current information because people can't recall or they have no Psion to crosscheck.

I would contribute to a Psion sub forum here, but I'm uncertain how many would follow.

How many are needed, quorum-wise?

To reiterate, I understand Psion entries may be too lefthanded for a CE sanctum--other than off-topic--but I'd like to see them anyway, and if needed, I'd be happy to moderate it.

Jake
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-01-02 9:09 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

+1 for a Psion forum.

Think there is interest and once it's available, it will likely draw some more interest as people discover it.

Also think that the more devices covered here the merrier and will stimulate more people using this site overall.

Just my 2ยข, as we say....

Mark
fantablium Page Icon Posted 2021-01-03 11:07 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

I would like to see a psion forum, I still have a couple knocking around and would be nice to see what people are using them for in 2021
Karpour Page Icon Posted 2021-01-03 12:19 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

I would also be for it! I also own 3 Psions, I know about the Psion FB group, but I refuse to use facebook, I much prefer traditional forums. So +1 from me
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-01-03 3:56 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Looks like the ball is in your court munchausen. Start a dialogue
munchausen Page Icon Posted 2021-01-03 5:23 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

I'm not really sure what you're looking for?

There seems to be a fair amount of interest here, and Jake has said he would be happy to moderate. I too would be happy to moderate but I don't have any credentials to go with that responsibility, and have a low post count and relatively new account, so I'm not sure that is a real option. I would expect that, at least to start with, moderating needs would be quite minimal, though? There is a single admin on the facebook group but I don't know if he would want to commit to moderating a forum as well. I thought a single sub forum, "PSION/EPOC" under "technical support", would be a relatively straightforward change? I think the number of users on fb and the interest here goes to show that there is enough interest in general, and I could make a post over on fb announcing that there is a new place to go for discussion to draw some people across, if that would be useful?

On the other hand, I guess I am not sure now if this was a good idea. I don't want to create any extra work for anyone or force a change that the hpcfactor administrators aren't really behind or will see as off brand for the site. This isn't my site, I am not even a known name here, and it's clearly taken a huge amount of work and dedication to create this place and keep it going all these years. Also, I know in many ways HPCs and psions have always been rival camps, even if they are almost the same thing! So I totally understand the counter argument for adding a psion sub-forum, and it was just an idea on my part. I thought that psion users lack a good central place for discussion, and I know hpcfactor to be a strong and related community that might welcome some psion stragglers. If so, awesome! But it's also cool to keep psion discussion in off topic
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-01-04 10:21 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

munchausen,

I genuinely don't have a problem with the idea, however after 20 years of experience I am well versed in being stung by people suggesting ideas or asking for privilege access to things because they want X, Y or Z to happen and then not doing any work to substantiate their all too easily codified enthusiasm. They want systems and accounts, changes, things posted en mass in the HCL or SCL because they don't think the coverage is good enough for X. So you spend the time making the changes, giving them the permissions or creating the accounts and go back to them a month later to see how they are getting on.. and... nothing. Same 6 months later.

Most of the time what people mean when they say "I want to" or "can we" or "can I" is actually "you do it because I want it".

So I put the ball squarely in your court. If you want it, if your community wants it, I am happy to welcome you all here. In total I have used a Psion 3 for 5 minutes and a Psion 5c for 10 minutes; both in the mid 90's. I'm not going to be relied upon to carry it, promote it, grow it or answer support questions or police quality of posting because I do not have any experience with the devices and have no express interest to learn them either. Unless there is a group of people here who know what they are doing, it just encourages dead account registrations and low quality thread creation.

If however your community wants to team up, the people who know what they are doing want to be here and want to have a proper conversation about how the site can actually help you more than Facebook currently does - i.e. what do you actually want/need. Then I am quite happy to have that conversation.

Yes, you are right. It is super easy for me to create a PSION/EPOC sub-forum under tech support... yet from my perspective, it really isn't the point you see .

If Jake says he wants to do it, I'm quite happy to go ahead on his direction.
munchausen Page Icon Posted 2021-01-04 11:33 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Thank you C:Amie. I totally get your position, I was trying to say that in my last post, and I tried to start this as a "would it be possible" rather than "can you please do this" because I know I'm suggesting a change which needs some thought.

The limitations of facebook are basically because it's facebook, not a forum. It's public facing, user profiles are public links to real people, the search facilities are limited, it's slow, post formatting options are rubbish, it's completely disorganised, and your data is probably all owned by facebook and the NSA. Information is just easier to access and conversation easier to follow in a forum. The only real advantage of facebook that I can see is that it's really easy for people to use and access if they are not used to travelling far on the internet.

I think the requirements are minimal at least right now: if Jake is happy to moderate, I can commit to working on bringing people over, answering questions and providing support. I was an admin on the openpsion project and have a large collection, I even wrote a couple of fanzine articles years and years ago. There is not much I can't help with and I reliably spend half my time writing or posting about handhelds already. I'd much rather do it here than on facebook. What are your thoughts Jake?

Jake Page Icon Posted 2021-01-04 2:01 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Glad to do it. I've never moderated anything before, but I have sympathy and common sense, so the day-to-day machinations are probably within my grasp. The technical parts present more of a curve, so should the sub forum come to fruition, I'll probably reach out to CE Geek for pointers and try to leave the busy C:Amie out of this as much as possible.

Jake
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2021-01-04 2:12 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Me? I don't know anything about moderating.
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.226 - Cached queries : 73 - Executed queries : 8