x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Linux kernel source 3.16.81

_dev-null Page Icon Posted 2021-01-05 11:11 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Hello!
I have uploaded the source code for the 3.16.81 kernel.
Here you go: http://www.sp-net.at/nextcloud/s/5qBbkaXaZtiypbP?path=%2Fkernel3.16...

Just download the tar.gz - extract it and you can compile the kernel/modules yourself!
I have done a few modifications to the source/drivers - I work on a patch set so you can patch any mainline kernel.

Install the following packages on your build machine (i assume you use Debian):
apt-get install build-essential devscripts libncurses5 libncurses5-dev gcc-arm-linux-gnueabi

Then type this command:
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi- menuconfig zImage

You can select what you want to compile inside the zImage or as module (* compiles it inside the zImage and M compiles it as module)

The compiled zImage is in arch/arm/boot

After the zImage is ready you can compile the modules:
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi- modules

And copy it to a folder (modify the path to fit your destination folder):
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi- modules_install INSTALL_MOD_PATH=/path_to_your_folder

Then copy the zImage over to the root directory of your FAT partition on the CF card and the modules to /bin on your EXT partition.

Regards
Stefan

Top of the page
munchausen Page Icon Posted 2021-01-05 11:19 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Cool! Are there any significant changes?

BTW did you have any luck with USB host? I saw that the original jlime USB host page had some suggested driver changes and wondered if you tried them?

I also wondered if you've tried USB gadget support?

I ordered some RAM to upgrade my 720 a few days ago (but coming on a slow ship from China). I was thinking about also adding a micro USB connector as gadget support could be really handy for file transfer, networking etc via a PC, or even using the 720 as a keyboard etc, especially now the kernel supports multifunction gadgets.
 Top of the page
_dev-null Page Icon Posted 2021-01-05 12:31 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Hi!
Sadly USB is not working as expected. With the 4.8.7 kernel slow speed devices like a mouse or keyboard work most of the time. High speed devices like USB storage also works sometimes if you are lucky.
With the 3.16.81 kernel it is not working at all. My USB knowledge is terrible and therefore I have no clue what is going on.

I spoke to a guy at my workplace who designs embedded systems and he says that my USB design is not great but has to work with USB 1.1 speeds. So I think it is a software/driver problem...
I would be happy if someone could help me with this!

If you are interested I post all needed solder points and the schematics on the motherboard.

Stefan
 Top of the page
munchausen Page Icon Posted 2021-01-05 2:35 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

I have not got a huge amount of USB knowledge either, and debugging kernel drivers is difficult and time consuming. Maybe the thing to do is to design a small PCB for the USB host and get an EE to look at it? This could eliminate the hardware side of the problem. I also have a colleague that can take a quick look if needed. Do you have a scope to check what the signals look like?

I wonder if there is a way to activate USB host under CE so that we have a known working driver stack? I think that the Cassiopeia E-200 ran CE 3.0 with a SA1111 and had USB host drivers, perhaps they can somehow be pulled out of an E-200 image and run on the 720?

I should have said, with the usb gadget I meant the USB device controller on the SA1110, which is already exposed on the dock connector. But I had a quick look through the kernel source and there has not been a driver for it since 2.4 days, as far as I can see, which was before the gadget API even existed. PXA25X and PXA270 have gadget drivers, I don't know if they are similar and could be used as a template.

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-01-05 2:45 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

_dev-null, do you want to use the HPC:Factor GitHub for this? It's there if you want it for any of your projects.
 Top of the page
timob0 Page Icon Posted 2021-01-05 3:01 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Hi Stefan,

this is great work, thank you! Did you get the sound working too?

If you want to take it further with xcompiling the userland, take a look at „buildroot“, its very straightforward since it has the same “menuconfig” system as the kernel.
To get started, set architecture to arm/sa1100 and point it to the kernel source folder, make some selections and it will create the rootfs.tar.gz and the kernel image + modules.

The nice part of this is, besides eliminating the need for BX-instruction patch, that you can apply patches and add more source packages. So I managed to include dosbox and modify it to scale down to the Jornada screen.

I’ve made some progress with this and its working nicely overall, have put together a script which will install everything to cf card and apply some customizations.

Drawback: limited package manger support, should be able to use deb packages but haven’t tested yet.

Cheers
timo
 Top of the page
_dev-null Page Icon Posted 2021-01-05 3:57 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

C:Amie - 2021-01-05 2:45 PM

_dev-null, do you want to use the HPC:Factor GitHub for this? It's there if you want it for any of your projects.

I think this would be great! Do i need a new user over there?

Stefan
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-01-05 6:15 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Stefan,

Up to you. The way I have it working with Karpour is that he is a member of the HPC:Factor organisation. So it isn't necessary to create a new account unless you specifically want to. You'll just get access to a second organisation in the GitHub menu.

Please PM me the user account details you want me to use and I'll add you.

You're welcome to use it for as many repositories as you like.
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-01-08 12:16 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Hi Everyone!
Many thanks for posting the Kernel info...you've inspired me give it a try although I hardly know apples from oranges at this stage. But, wow, what I have learned from all of you and the many gems you're showing off...I'm actually learning debian/linux!

Regarding the usb issue...I have the jornada dock/cradle and it has connectors for the serial cable and a slave usb on the backside...these in turn connect to the 10 pin jornada base port...which, to my limited knowledge, really just looks to be an RS232 cable with +12v, grd,
Txd, Rxd, Rts, etc...evidently the usb port only uses a subset of those as the TX, Rx, and must use reduced voltage on those. I will disassemble the docking cradle and check out the various leads. Presumably other than the 5 volt power source, the docking 10 pin port has the Tx,Rx lines...is there a need to solder internal connectors??? Lastly, could all this piggy backing rs232 and usb 1.0 (or 1.1) together mean that the data transmission rate is limited to kilobaud maximum of rs232???...thus not really capable of usb 1.1 12 Mbs ever never ever??? I'll get back on my findings. Stefan's usb wiki site is great by the way.

Also,is there any way to tap into the Irda circuit(4Mbs max) and convert to usb. Lastly, I have a mobilepro 880 (mips?) and it has a master usb and reads thumb drives,etc...that is winCE 2.11 (I think)...and as well the MP900c (x86?)...Net4.2 has working usb...Now, the MP900 is hpc3000... if it too has usb it probably has the winCE driver for master usb function...I will check it out as I can easily flash roms on the MP900's from Net 4.2 to hpc3000 and back again... to find out. Sorry if I digress a bit here.
Thanks again for getting me interested in Linux! You fellows are the real sharp shooters!

Edited by joval 2021-01-08 12:56 AM
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2021-01-08 12:58 PM
#
H/PC Elite

USB is a completely different protocol than TTL RS232, even though both are "serial". What the Jornada cradle does is basically just to convert from TTL "serial" to USB, something like what FTDI chips do today. We are talking about real USB host, with support for peripherals and everything in between. The StrongARM SA-1100 CPU (Jornada's CPU) has internal USB hardware, but for some reason, HP decided not to route the pins out on the mainboard. This means that if we want to use the USB feature built in the CPU, we need to route the pins out ourselves and create the minimal USB circuit for noise reduction, overcurrent protection, etc. This is what Stefan is trying to accomplish.
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-01-08 11:31 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

ntware - 2021-01-08 4:58 AM

USB is a completely different protocol than TTL RS232, even though both are "serial". What the Jornada cradle does is basically just to convert from TTL "serial" to USB, something like what FTDI chips do today. We are talking about real USB host, with support for peripherals and everything in between. The StrongARM SA-1100 CPU (Jornada's CPU) has internal USB hardware, but for some reason, HP decided not to route the pins out on the mainboard. This means that if we want to use the USB feature built in the CPU, we need to route the pins out ourselves and create the minimal USB circuit for noise reduction, overcurrent protection, etc. This is what Stefan is trying to accomplish.

@ntware: Thank you! That is an excellent explanation...(you do seem to have a gift that way). I reviewed Stefan's usb wiki and saw the overvoltage chip connected to the Tx, Rx circuits on one side and ground on the other; I also saw the power control/sensing chip. So those Tx, Rx leads are different from the those located on the 10 pin "underbelly" port I was referring to?? Thus the need to solder wires.

FYI, I'm using your setup for the Aironet 340 on my J720 with recent upgrade to 64MB ($20 card off ebay)...Things seem frisky now with the Devuan/X11/RasPi...I'm completely on wifi and untethered! Wifi speed seems the same as wired ethernet (on wep). Next task is to get WPA working...I have an Aironet 350 that is capable if I can get it working. Thanks for that gem,too, the wifi setup...lasts about 2 hours on std battery so far.

@Stefan: Congratulations on your newly minted Gold membership. OK, I have a spare 720 motherboard and so can work on the physical USB set up with it...if I can be of help. Also, Im stilll evaluating ext2 vs ext4 speed on root partition...seems about 30% faster maybe with my recent 64Mb upgrade card. FYI I found with the faster SDCards in cf adapter that the root delay is NOT needed (perhaps 32 bit sdcard is more responsive than the 16 bit CF cards..so you or even I can try that 4,x Kernal (once I learn how to follow your directions)...it might prove stable with the faster sdcards.. anyway, I'd like to give it a try sometime if it's around somewhere! Thanks so much for all youaredoing...much appreciated. I'm posting nearly everything on this site on my j720 with your Duvean port and X11 on the RasPi...now untethered with WIFi! Amazingly beautiful new life for the Jornada!
 Top of the page
munchausen Page Icon Posted 2021-01-09 11:24 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Actually the 720 cradle doesn't convert serial to USB, the jornada has USB _device_ built in. The cradle connector carries both USB and serial, separately, at least according to Running Linux on HP Jornada 720

This means if there was a driver for USB device controller under Linux it could act as USB mass storage, USB ethernet, USB HID etc when you plug the jornada into a PC, like when you plug an android phone into a PC. Linux comes with drivers to do that (called USB gadget drivers in Linux) if there is a driver for the USB device controller.

Edited by munchausen 2021-01-09 11:25 AM
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-01-09 2:24 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

munchausen - 2021-01-09 3:24 AM

Actually the 720 cradle doesn't convert serial to USB, the jornada has USB _device_ built in. The cradle connector carries both USB and serial, separately, at least according to Running Linux on HP Jornada 720

This means if there was a driver for USB device controller under Linux it could act as USB mass storage, USB ethernet, USB HID etc when you plug the jornada into a PC, like when you plug an android phone into a PC. Linux comes with drivers to do that (called USB gadget drivers in Linux) if there is a driver for the USB device controller.

That reference is packed with an amazing amount of valuable info. I have seen it before but never looked at in detail...wow...keymaps and all, short cuts on boot for diagnostics...and that was all well over a decade ago. Even flash rom info. Notice he's recommending ext2 for rootfs too... was ext4 in existence then?

So...are the usb Td Rd pins connected to the SA1100 already... making Stefan's usb easier to do...or is soldering wires on motherboard still necessary?

Also FYI the MP900 ran on winCE3.0/ hpc2000 like J720 but with x86 cpu. Many J720 programs run/install on MP900c even though its winCe.Net 4.2... might be possible to use the usb driver from the 900 or 900c on j720 running stock WinCE 3.0 Os. You were asking about this earlier.

great to have you on board..useful info and
I like your references...and interesting probing questions. All food for thought
 Top of the page
munchausen Page Icon Posted 2021-01-09 8:45 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

joval - 2021-01-09 2:24 PM
So...are the usb Td Rd pins connected to the SA1100 already... making Stefan's usb easier to do...or is soldering wires on motherboard still necessary?

The USB device pins are on the SA1100/SA1110 CPU, and are broken out on the docking connector as far as I understand. The USB host pins are on the SA1111 companion chip however, and are a separate connection, so soldering is still needed to access them. So two different connections and two different use cases. And it appears the USB device pins don't go to the serial connector, which seems a bit of a strange decision, but perhaps is because they wanted the serial connection to be backwards compatible with the 6xx devices (which didn't have USB device anywhere as far as I know).

Also FYI the MP900 ran on winCE3.0/ hpc2000 like J720 but with x86 cpu. Many J720 programs run/install on MP900c even though its winCe.Net 4.2... might be possible to use the usb driver from the 900 or 900c on j720 running stock WinCE 3.0 Os. You were asking about this earlier.

Unfortunately the device drivers are likely incompatible, because they will be compiled to machine code (ARM or x86 depending on which system they are for) and are specific to the particular controller built in to a device, whereas .Net applications are compiled to bytecode and run in a software virtual machine (JIT), which makes them portable between different CPU architectures. But a ROM dump from a Cassiopeia E-200 would be very useful, I think it has USB host (SA1111) and USB device (SA1100/SA1110) drivers for CE 3.0, and there's a good chance they will run on the 720 which is also running a version of CE 3.0.

great to have you on board..useful info and
I like your references...and interesting probing questions. All food for thought

Thanks! This seems a really great forum and community. I hope I'll find time to contribute something useful instead of just asking questions!
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.191 - Cached queries : 54 - Executed queries : 26