x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

EMF and 200Mhz vs 1.8GHz

joval Page Icon Posted 2021-01-11 3:52 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Well this is mostly speculation but I wonder if H/PC's aren't more simpatico/easier to be around because they aren't hyping up our body's electromagnetic field with their EMF. Not like the cell phone controversy and brain tumors and the like, but more of a what if or could it have some effect...sort of like a loud annoying noise might have on one's mood.

All I can say is for myself I find it much more comfortable to write longer and with more detail with my J720 than I ever do with my supersonic 2GHz intel I7 laptop... buzzing along figuratively so close.

It could just be the lack of annoying popups and notifications,etc Anyway, if my posts come across as puffed-up long-winded diatribes... as I'm pretty sure they do far too often...I lay the blame on the fine comfortable effect of the Jornada 720 and it's theoretical Positive VooDoo EMF effect...( Joval's PVD-EMF annomaly).

Remember...you heard it here first folks...er..I think!

Joval

Edited by joval 2021-01-11 3:55 PM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2021-01-11 4:35 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Actually, my J-720's display makes a markedly audible, annoying buzz which means I have to use earphones/music to mask it. It's age, I'm sure--nonetheless my laptops, many quite aged, are much quieter.

Jake
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-01-12 12:26 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Jake - 2021-01-11 8:35 AM

Actually, my J-720's display makes a markedly audible, annoying buzz which means I have to use earphones/music to mask it. It's age, I'm sure--nonetheless my laptops, many quite aged, are much quieter.

Jake

That sounds like the power inverter for the fluorescent backlight...if so, it should be loudest near the left upper backside of the screen. Probably the ferrite core/frame is coming apart and vibrating....a little glue globbed on it would probably quiet it down if you have ever taken the display section apart...

I'll take one of my J720's apart and show you....that thing provides 340Volts to light up the flourescent tube...actually generates 1,200 volts on start up.
This I found this from Munchausen's recent J720 archive find as it has a pdf on the inverter. So check out the loudest location of the buzzing sound...a few drops of superglue might work. Still...a buzz is a very low frequency.... ain't no gigahertz there!
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2021-01-12 1:30 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Thank you for that heads-up. I pressed my ear to all areas of the screen and didn't hear a notable increase of buzz on the left side.

What is interesting is the buzz is loudest when the J-720 is idling. Once its cpu is taxed, say, downloading and storing a bunch of email, it quiets considerably, the buzz returning once tasks are finished.

Jake
 Top of the page
null1024 Page Icon Posted 2021-03-29 6:31 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

joval - 2021-01-11 11:52 AM

Well this is mostly speculation but I wonder if H/PC's aren't more simpatico/easier to be around because they aren't hyping up our body's electromagnetic field with their EMF. Not like the cell phone controversy and brain tumors and the like, but more of a what if or could it have some effect...sort of like a loud annoying noise might have on one's mood.

All I can say is for myself I find it much more comfortable to write longer and with more detail with my J720 than I ever do with my supersonic 2GHz intel I7 laptop... buzzing along figuratively so close.

It could just be the lack of annoying popups and notifications,etc Anyway, if my posts come across as puffed-up long-winded diatribes... as I'm pretty sure they do far too often...I lay the blame on the fine comfortable effect of the Jornada 720 and it's theoretical Positive VooDoo EMF effect...( Joval's PVD-EMF annomaly).

Remember...you heard it here first folks...er..I think!

Joval

Heh.

See, I think not being able to browse the web really helps -- I've typed a fair bit of stuff up in Pocket Word on my H/PCs, and the fact that I can't just tab away to check something drastically helps keep focus.
the machine being kinda slow also helps -- if I tab away to do something else on the device, I have to wait for it to slowly paint on screen
Plus, even if I had a wifi or ethernet card, connecting to modern sites on the device is basically a no-go (ignoring the lack of ability for an older browser to render modern web pages, the fact that nearly all sites are forcing TLS these days makes it VERY hard for an older device without recent software updates to use the web).
As a result, you basically HAVE to stay on task, or else use something else for your source of distraction.

As for the noise vs a modern machine... my H/PCs have a rather noticeable buzz with the backlight on (and the backlight basically MUST be on, since I'm rarely outside with the things), so I kinda doubt that bit personally.
of course, the sound could also be a positive thing, the familiar buzz of the machine helping you stay focused
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-03-29 6:40 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Hi All...

Does the buzz sound come from the J720 base (under the keyboard) or from the display (backside). In any case sounds like a transformer/inverter or a choke (inductor) with loose windings...should be an easy fix if you can locate it... a glob of LockTight (screw/thread protectant) would be the end of it, IMHO. So pull out that dusty stethoscope,or so I suggest, or a soda straw and hunt that little whiney culprit down!! Disturbance of the peace was once upon a time...an actual violation, er,even a crime!

I have a J720 motherboard jury-rigged (haha) into a J680 base (rather mutilated some would venture) all taped together... when I have time I'll have a look at it. Also Maestros Stephan and Munchausen have photos of the board which may clue you in. "Silence is golden"

Joval (posted from my J720/Devuan/RasPi Hybrid once again!)
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 8