x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Linux on the Jornada 720 - Status

« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... Next »
munchausen Page Icon Posted 2021-01-19 11:54 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

I tried to make a start on kernel 4.8 yesterday but got interrupted when I'd only just started downloading the source. I wonder if we need to move the arm_bx_hook_init to earlier in the boot, I was going to try it at arch_initcall and see if that might help. I don't know if you already tried that Stefan?

Edited by munchausen 2021-01-19 12:48 PM
 Top of the page
_dev-null Page Icon Posted 2021-01-20 11:56 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Hi!
Never tried that!

Stefan
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-01-21 2:56 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

timob0 - 2021-01-18 10:39 AM

@Joval: I'm not sure if we'll be able to get the suspend working or not...

Re the "white screen on shutdown issue" - how does that look like? ....
-

Hi Timob0 : Thanks for your response. The suspend issue is not a priority...more icing on the cake...gotta bake the cake first ie, kernal work, sound work, usb etc. I just appreciate there may be that option someday. My primary interest is in getting usb working because I want to get one of those mini wifi dongles working...there are linux drivers available. I just received one of these

The white screen is, as you point out...really just an issue with the incorrect contrast setting --- something to do with, I assume, the bios or bootloader ( I'm guessing here as I know little about WInCE bios or bootloader) and not the winCE registry because the latter should revert to normal screen if restoring from backup...as registry is restored therein. I wonder if there is a registry tweak that might restore normal contrast... I'll have to take a look and play around with registry settings and see if anything changes. Simple enough, I'm just bouncing the idea off you for pointers as to where to look... in the registry ?

Joval
 Top of the page
timob0 Page Icon Posted 2021-01-21 8:43 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Hi Joval,

I'm on board with the USB dongle. I found some on Amazon which support both bluetooth and Wifi and are really tiny. So I asked Stefan for the soldering points on the motherboard to wire up the USB. I'm thinking of dismantling the USB dongle and connecting directly to the mobo with wires as short as possible to minimize electrical issues.
In case that works it would give built in Wifi/BT freeing up the PCMCIA slot. Re. the drivers, munchhausen is making an effort to get a more recent kernel running, this should help with the USB/Wifi stuff I think.

Re. the brightness/contrast setting, what I've seen is that if I remove all power sources, leave it for a few seconds and power it up again, the screen is back to normal. I believe that Linux leaves the screen in some state on shutdown which is unexpected by the factory installed software. Obviously that state is cleared back to normal when the device is unpowered. Also I don't think it's fixable in WinCE since that isn't running yet when cold starting the machine and, when I reach CE I can't really set the contrast/brightness back to normal values, since the sliders on the control panel don't seem to have much effect then. However, navigating to the linux loader and bringing Linux up again gives normal brightness/contrast there.

Cheers,
timo
 Top of the page
can't remember Page Icon Posted 2021-01-24 4:34 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Hi timob0, just to add some more info, the screen too bright bug after rebooting to Windows CE is a very old one. This message from 2004 mentions the same bug happening on NetBSD (unfortunately no solution provided).
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2021-01-24 8:07 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Guys, I honestly don’t think any Wi-Fi/Bluetooth dongle is going to work, even if we get the right USB circuitry. The SA1110 only supports USB1.1. These dongles are all USB2 and up. USB on the jornada will be useful only for “slow” usb stick copy/paste
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-01-25 4:39 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

ntware - 2021-01-24 12:07 PM

Guys, I honestly don’t think any Wi-Fi/Bluetooth dongle is going to work, even if we get the right USB circuitry. The SA1110 only supports USB1.1. These dongles are all USB2 and up. USB on the jornada will be useful only for “slow” usb stick copy/paste

Hi!
@ ntware:
Yes, true, you may be right... but USB 1.1 has 12 Mbs bandwidth vs I think 480Mbs USB 2.0... and that can often be shared between multiple usb devices so they only get a fraction each of the 480Mbs. Most usb 2.0 devices just run slower on USB 1.1., I think, if you aren't sharing the port. Won't work if it's usb 1.0 ...far too slow most likely 1.5Mbs. Since the typical J720 WiFi card is 11Mbs would be in the same range as usb 1.1.(..maybe one reason the Ambicom 54Mbs card isn't working?)?? Usb 2.0 thumb drive works on MP 800 and MP900c, I think they are usb 1.1

We can dream, yet only one way to find out...

Joval
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-01-25 4:48 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

can't remember - 2021-01-24 8:34 AM

Hi timob0, just to add some more info, the screen too bright bug after rebooting to Windows CE is a very old one. This message from 2004 mentions the same bug happening on NetBSD (unfortunately no solution provided).

Well...when rebooted to white no contrast screen, I looked at system memory in control panel and it showed total memory of 16 Mb... not the actual 64 Mb present. Somehow the ram size needs the hard reset to get back to full memory size... is linux not freeing up Ram on shutdown??? Any ideas?

Joval
 Top of the page
munchausen Page Icon Posted 2021-01-25 10:20 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Personally that white screen bug doesn't bother me too much. I'm guessing some registers somewhere are not set back to their default values or something along those lines.

I agree that wifi on USB is a nice idea. 12mbps is significantly faster than the 230kbps you can get from a UART. The main thing for me would be to find a chipset that supports power saving so that we can put it to sleep, otherwise it could be drawing a lot of power even when the machine is in sleep (if we ever had get sleep support). Or hide a little switch under the CF door or where the modem socket is or something like that. But first step is to get working USB host!

Edited by munchausen 2021-01-25 10:21 AM
 Top of the page
fwilhelm Page Icon Posted 2021-03-09 11:21 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Junior)

Hello everyone:

I have gone through this thread, as well as through Stefan's tutorial to install Devuan on a Jornada 720, and I am encouraged to give this a try.

One thing that I wanted to ask before taking the plunge is whether the Devuan interface is purely terminal-type commands. I have not seen any screenshots of browsing, word processing or other applications. I did see the video by ntware doing some cool things on his J720, but this was done through connecting to a virtual machine. I have not seen a similar video (or screenshots) using the J720 resources.

Maybe there is another thread that illustrates this?

Any guidance is appreciated. Cheers!

Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-03-09 4:47 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

fwilhelm - 2021-03-09 3:21 AM

Hello everyone:

I have gone through this thread, as well as through Stefan's tutorial to install Devuan on a Jornada 720, and I am encouraged to give this a try.

One thing that I wanted to ask before taking the plunge is whether the Devuan interface is purely terminal-type commands. I have not seen any screenshots of browsing, word processing or other applications. I did see the video by ntware doing some cool things on his J720, but this was done through connecting to a virtual machine. I have not seen a similar video (or screenshots) using the J720 resources.

Maybe there is another thread that illustrates this?

Any guidance is appreciated. Cheers!

Stefan included Netsurf browser and Leafpad text editor which load up on the GUI fine..Netsurf is slow and only opens obsolete HTTP sites (no HTTPS)`. However if you connect to a tiny portable battery operated $ 35 Raspberry Pi running the stock Debian (linux flavor) ...the entire internet and RasPi universe opens up to you. You can set up a dual boot option so as to download files and websites, etc when in Devuan and later back in (low power mode/true sleep) WinCE you can view them offline days or weeks later. You will be rather amazed with the speed now that ntware figured out how to use VCN without X-forwarding.

At some point I will just have to write up a detailed set of instructions on how to set things up with the RasPi. There's a lot of info on "how To" the will simplify the learning curve.

Jova'
 Top of the page
fwilhelm Page Icon Posted 2021-03-13 4:28 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Junior)

Thanks Joval.

Just to encourage you, I am definitely looking forward to going down this path, loading up Devuan/Debian on my J720 and connecting it to a RasPi.

First step is getting the RasPi. I see many (a lot) available on eBay.

Any recommendations on which to get?

Would one with Kali Linux work? The description says that Kali is based on Debian.

Any advice welcomed.
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2021-03-13 7:29 PM
#
H/PC Elite

It doesn’t matter the OS, as this can be easily changed later. The OS on a Raspberry Pi sits in a SD card. Kali is quite heavy for a Pi in my opinion, and it is tailored for security professionals (white/black hackers). I would totally recommend getting the vanilla OS called Raspbian for optimal support. As much as which board to get, well, it depends on how deep your pocket is. A single core low powered Pi Zero starts at just $5, but is quite minimal. A Pi 3 is around $30 and can offer more juice. The fastest option is a Pi 4, which is really an interesting device, for something around $50
 Top of the page
fwilhelm Page Icon Posted 2021-03-13 8:07 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Junior)

Thanks for this response. Very helpful.

One more question: can the Raspberry Pi be used as the Linux PC in Stefan’s instructions to install Debian/Debian on the J720?

Thanks again!
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2021-03-14 4:39 AM
#
H/PC Elite

It sure can. You can use anything really, even an Android phone, since it also runs Linux at the core
 Top of the page
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 12