x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Linux on the Jornada 720 - Status

« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next »
_dev-null Page Icon Posted 2021-12-01 7:56 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

It is really great that someone finally made sound available in Linux. Thank you for this!
Awesome work.

You can get the latest Kernel and Modules here: http://www.sp-net.at/nextcloud/s/SQbqbX64QdZarop?path=%2Fkernel3.16...

Stefan
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-12-01 10:45 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Thread pinned to the top of the H/PC Linux / Unix section

Stirling work there timob0 and Stefan, that is very impressive!
 Top of the page
entozoon Page Icon Posted 2021-12-01 11:53 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

@Stefan When I connect this WaveLan card it does appear to be recognised as a device, and I believe I've used it in the past within windows CE.
https://i.imgur.com/k6WLL2V.jpg

@Joval I'm happy to buy another card though, to get things moving. Linksys WPC100 and WPC300 are readily available here in the UK but I'm not sure if those have the versions/firmwares you recommend?

PS: I'm so happy Linux on the Jornada is having a new lease of life, it's such a great concept!
 Top of the page
_dev-null Page Icon Posted 2021-12-01 12:37 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Hi!
I forgot to add the orinoco_cs driver to the modules. I have done that and uploaded a new kernel + modules. Please download the new zImage and 3.16.81 folder!

Stefan
 Top of the page
entozoon Page Icon Posted 2021-12-01 1:03 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

What would we do without you, Stefan?

No change here though, I copied zImage and 3.16.81 to /mnt/cf1. Popped the card in the jornada, booted up and run iwconfig but still not seeing the wifi device
I must have missed something. I've been trying to read this other thread but it's a lot of information to process

Edited by entozoon 2021-12-01 1:05 PM
 Top of the page
_dev-null Page Icon Posted 2021-12-01 1:28 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

You have to move the 3.16.81 folder to /lib/modules
 Top of the page
entozoon Page Icon Posted 2021-12-01 6:56 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Ah! Thanks again, I am getting further with it and managed to attempt a connection with
iwconfig eth0 ssid "Name" key sassword mode Managed
My WiFi isn't WEP though so I've gotta either create a WEP network, perhaps a Pi repeater, or somehow install wpa_supplicant

Edited by entozoon 2021-12-01 6:57 PM
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-12-01 7:56 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

entozoon - 2021-12-01 10:56 AM

Ah! Thanks again, I am getting further with it and managed to attempt a connection with
iwconfig eth0 ssid "Name" key sassword mode Managed
My WiFi isn't WEP though so I've gotta either create a WEP network, perhaps a Pi repeater, or somehow install wpa_supplicant

I believe the lucent based cards are limited to WEP or Open given their wifi age (so wifi repeater ..with esp32 or such.. may be best option), whereas the MA401 and WPC11 are limited to WPA... all with 11Mbs throughput.

The Ambicom WL54 connects to all including WPA2 but the card is incredibly slow like 1-2 Mbs with present driver.

Connman really simpifies connecting as an option vs wpa_supplicant for the more secure WPA/WPA2 cards, otherwise with WEP only "/etc/network/interfaces" config file works well.

My 2 cents worth,

Joval
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-12-01 8:08 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

timob0 - 2021-11-30 12:58 PM

Good day guys,

wanted to give you a quick status update as well:
I've been working with Stefan (_dev-null) over the last 1 1/2 months on a Linux sound driver implementation for the Jornada. We now finally arrived at a point where we have a stable ALSA driver that allows to play PCM 16-bit stereo sound with samplerates from 8-48kHz through the built-in speaker / headphone jack.

Here's a short demonstration video (unfortunately Youtube forced me cut out a segment but it still shows whats going on):

The driver is included with Stefans current kernel release download, it's located in the modules folder with the name "snd-jornada720".

Installation instructions:

• You can load it into the running system with "sudo modprobe snd-jornada720"

• In order to load it on each system start add this line to /etc/modules: snd-jornada720

• Make sure your user account is member of the audio group (adding video and input wouldn't hurt either)

• apt install alsa-utils

• Install your favorite audio app, I highly recommend the MOC player (apt install moc) which will play WAV, MP3, MOD +many more and will allow you to listen to internet streams as well

Limitations:

• No audio recording

• No power management, to save power unload the module with rmmod snd-jornada720

Credits:

• Stefan for patient and thorough testing and proving feedback and inspirations

• All the folks that worked on previous SA1111 L3/DMA and UDA1344 codec implementations for making their code public

Thanks and enjoy
TimoB0

Hi Timob0! That is fantastic... what milestones you keep setting! You and Stefan!... The "Dynamic Duo Strikes Again!"
Looking forward to playing music and audiobooks too.

Do you think it will work with VNC? When I get it setup and working I will host a new downloadable disk image, including Stefan's Zram feature. Then I will see how it does with VNC.

Thanks again for the great convenience of Jornada-config!! You fellows are such treasures here at HPCFactor... can't say it enough!!

gratefully,

Joval

Top of the page
_dev-null Page Icon Posted 2021-12-01 8:44 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Hi!
VNC doesnt support audio. The only way to get audio from the host to the Jornada is over SSH. But this might be too much for the CPU.

Stefan
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-12-02 1:23 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

_dev-null - 2021-12-01 12:44 PM

Hi!
VNC doesn't support audio. The only way to get audio from the host to the Jornada is over SSH. But this might be too much for the CPU.

Stefan

How about 'chips and guacamole'?

Perhaps an option... only the cpu(chip) knows if it can pass/parse the "Guacamole!" https://guacamole.apache.org/doc/gug/configuring-guacamole.html#vnc

Audio support (via PulseAudio)
VNC does not provide its own support for audio, but Guacamole's VNC support can obtain audio through a secondary network connection to a PulseAudio server running on the same machine as the VNC server.

Most Linux systems provide audio through a service called PulseAudio. This service is capable of communicating over the network, and if PulseAudio is configured to allow TCP connections, Guacamole can connect to your PulseAudio server and combine its audio with the graphics coming over VNC.

Guten Appetit,

Joval

Top of the page
timob0 Page Icon Posted 2021-12-02 9:00 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Hi Joval,

re. the VNC, maybe there is another option: there is something built in ALSA that provides a network audio driver with which can send the audio stream for replay on another machine independent of VNC or X11, if we manage to get the "sender" running on the PI and the receiver on the Jornada, you should be in business. Here's an article on how that could be done: Linux Audio Streaming

re. the Disk-Image, let's join forces there. I made one for myself which is based on your original one + new kernel + sound + jornada config + buttons + dosbox and which is clean in that it will boot into the config tool on first use (same as the PI does) to do the baseline config / disk resize and setup new user accounts. I personally don't use X11 and I like to create a non-root account for myself, that's why. I'll share a download link later today for you to review.

Kind regards
Timo

Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-12-02 4:28 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Hi Timo, and Thanks so much!

the guacamole site uses pulseaudio's network option... perhaps related approach, I will review the link above.

Congrat's on conquering the sound issue... it's been a long journey AFAIK.

Yes, I can't keep up with all the fantastic "improved developments/updates" you and Stefan magically conger up! Help on the Zram issue would be nice... I've had no luck so far but haven't tried latest. Might work with your newer image... I am a NOOB to swapping out new modules, etc. You two are the real hotshots... and very much appreciated!!

I have a few suggestions for minor tweaks to Jornada-config... slight parameter changes such as put contrast(8 increment) at top of list vs brightness (50 increment)... really helps with firefox and especialoly VNC (both run from RasPi not J720).

Maybe an entry for Rsync (included in present ) image to automate transfer of RasPi downloads to J720 /dev/hda1 for access in WinCe mode.

Yeah, Great!! Your help and guidance is always welcomed... and treasured by myself and many HPCFactorites!

gratefully,

Joval

on his J720_64Mb/DevuanBx/WPA/RasPi_Zero2/Firefox hybrid

Edited by joval 2021-12-02 4:33 PM
 Top of the page
timob0 Page Icon Posted 2021-12-02 5:16 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Hi Joval,

yes, the audio driver is a complete rewrite since the driver model changed quite significantly from Linux 2.x to 3.x. There were a couple of bits and pieces out there which we could use, but still had to dig through the hardware reference manuals to figure things out. Also there is a lot misleading information out there as for instance re. the used audio codec, many sites claim it's a UDA1341 but in reality - Stefan provided a mainboard photo - it's a 1344 that would act up when treated as 1341.

I believe the link I sent is even more low level than pulseaudio, seems to be a virtual sound card that sends data to the network concept. Haven't take a deep read though.

The ZRAM issue is related to the /etc/init.d/zram file being corrupted by the forums download function - it seems to add MS DOS style line endings. If you open it in a text editor on the Jornada and remove the "^M" characters from the line ends it will work just fine.

Please feel free to send over your suggestions for the config script, I'll be happy to integrate them.

Kind regards
Timo

Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-12-03 8:48 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

timob0 - 2021-12-02 9:16 AM

Hi Joval,

yes, the audio driver is a complete rewrite since the driver model changed quite significantly from Linux 2.x to 3.x. There were a couple of bits and pieces out there which we could use, but still had to dig through the hardware reference manuals to figure things out. Also there is a lot misleading information out there as for instance re. the used audio codec, many sites claim it's a UDA1341 but in reality - Stefan provided a mainboard photo - it's a 1344 that would act up when treated as 1341.

Please feel free to send over your suggestions for the config script, I'll be happy to integrate them.

Kind regards
Timo

Timo,

Amazed you figured out the codec issues, etc... a complete rewrite of the driver... impressed with your sleuthing abilities as well. Isn't this the Holy Grail so many have fought and died for now over the years? And you finally pulled it off!!! Congrats and a pat on the back, too.!!! I sense another Hpcfactor Nobel Prize here in the making for an outstanding achievement.

Anyone else agree???

Joval

Top of the page
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.300 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 9