x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Hello World!!!

Blackfox360 Page Icon Posted 2021-01-25 11:41 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Greetings, hello, and all that happy good stuff.

So... Newbie, and decided it would a good time to just say hi, how's it going and just kinda let people know what I'm about.

I am a Retro computer Enthusiast. I normally work with Commodore machines and that is where is spend a lot of my time. However I found myself in possession of an HP 320lx and quickly realized that I have never played with such a device, being I was about 10 when they were being sold back in the late 90s. Needless to say I'm always happy to see a community around a product that I am playing with and plan on trying some weird/interesting stuff with this new (to me) platform. I have a lot of questions and thing I want to try, but for now I just want to do a little poking and prodding, feel some things out.

For now I just want to say hi, and let ya know what I'm currently working with.

I'm using as stated a HP320LX 4 meg model. ((7/10 fully functional, no chips, all works, original pen, but a few flat spots on the textured plastic and logo faded, A good used Survivor))

Using a 2GB Transend CF card. (Used but holding out well)

Currently have it Partnered with a Toshiba Satellite 320CDS (love the fact the models line up) running win 98.

got my hands on docking cradle with power.

I guess that is it for now. Glad to meet everyone

-Blackfox
 Top of the page
Mjolnir Page Icon Posted 2021-01-26 11:25 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Welcome aboard!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-01-26 11:50 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Welcome, always good to find more 320lx users. Are you running CE1.0 or 2.0?
 Top of the page
Blackfox360 Page Icon Posted 2021-01-26 3:02 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I am currently using win ce 1.0. I was debating on hunting down a 2.0 rom but I figured finding one that isn't pulled from a working system might be tough. If I stumble across the 2.0 upgrade I will probably go for it as long as the price was reasonable, but for now I'm happy exploring 1.0
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2021-01-26 5:12 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

It's always fun to find a new type of device to play with. I've honestly not had any other device as good as WinCE devices. Have fun and glad you decided to join us.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2021-01-26 7:12 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Welcome here. That 2.0 chip could be hard to find, but on the other hand, if your enthusiasm lasts, I imagine you'll find yourself on ebay, etc, looking for CE 2.0 devices, along with HPC2000 and beyond.

I have a Velo 1 (CE 1.0) and the 2.0 chip and I found there was much more to do with 2.0, and then there was much more to do with 3.0, and you can see where this is going

For me, a substantial amount of my CE usage is proof of concept stuff, getting on-line, synching, modern word processing.

You wouldn't happen to have an IR-capable phone moldering in your closet, would you? It's a lot of fun, no security workarounds, and 115K can still get you places with WinCE.

Jake
 Top of the page
Blackfox360 Page Icon Posted 2021-01-26 7:48 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks for the warm welcome. I haven't put a lot of thought into networking it yet, although it is on the to do list. I did find a pcmcia wifi card from the time period, but I'm unsure if it is compatible or if two AA batteries have enough juice to run it. But heck it slots, so might be looking in to.

So far I got pocket dos running on it, and with that... Zork. I'm a sucker for a text adventure and was actually the driving factor to pick up a palm top. A full keyboard to play text adventures, although I would have most likely been better off with a hp95 or 200 looking back now, but hindsight being what it is.

I'm also debating on porting a little text adventure I made in commodore 2.0 basic on over as a pet project. It's nothing fancy, a little quick and dirty game but figured it may give me some insight on this platform.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-01-27 12:12 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

You won't get any 802.xx networking out of CE 1.0, it doesn't have the stack for it. It was added in CE 2.0. You can use the HCL here to find compatible hardware - https://www.hpcfactor.com/hcl/

Great idea on porting some software. You'll almost certainly need to use C++ 5 for CE 1 though.
 Top of the page
Karpour Page Icon Posted 2021-01-27 6:23 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

For a text adventure, BasiCE, PocketC or PythonCE might also work! These are 3 interpreted languages I can think of that work on CE1.0

[edit] Also welcome of course!

Edited by Karpour 2021-01-27 6:24 PM
 Top of the page
kode3020 Page Icon Posted 2021-01-27 8:13 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Newbie

I have ajornada running 3.0 ce.
 Top of the page
Blackfox360 Page Icon Posted 2021-01-28 11:06 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Good to know what works with CE 1.0 It gives me a little bit to chew on and think of. I found a C+ program at archive.org that had some CE 1.0 and 2.0 SW on it. Still going through and seeing what I can figure out. I got PocketDos working, but my original plan for it fell short. I really need to focus on what I want to do first and work from there.

That said. Does anyone know a good way to bring simple notepad docs to CE 1.0? The original game I programed literally sits numbered in a notepad. I actually typed it all into a notepad and using winvice (commodore 64 emulator), copied and pasted it in the main screen and saved it to in a commodore format. Maybe cheating but it worked well.

Just picking names out of a hat I'll prob look into BasiCE. If its like most Basic languages I will prob be able to figure it out semi quickly and may only need to make minor changes to port.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-01-29 10:40 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Blackfox360, what was the archive.org link you found there?

If you are talking text files or RTF and you have the serial cable, then you can use H/PC Explorer over serial or IR to do the transfer from Windows 95, 98, Millennium NT4 (2000 and XP also possible):

https://www.hpcfactor.com/support/syncsoft/hpcexplorer/
https://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/i/S0014.asp
https://www.hpcfactor.com/downloads/483/HPCFactor_Handheld_PC_Explor...

If not, then a CF card transfer is probably your best bet without setting up more complicated mechanisms.

Karpour,
I had forgotten that BasiCE ran on 1.x, good call. https://www.hpcfactor.com/scl/339/Dean_Gienger/BasiCE_for_Windows_CE...
 Top of the page
Blackfox360 Page Icon Posted 2021-01-29 7:45 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Attaching a link to the package I found at archive.org

I transferred the file and was actually surprised it just kinda opened natively. I watched word docs go through conversions and such and didn't think a notepad.txt doc from a windows 10 system would just work... color me surprised.

WinCE 1.0 software

-Blackfox360
 Top of the page
Karpour Page Icon Posted 2021-01-29 11:45 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

I was like.. sweet, more CE1.0 software to index! Downloaded it, and realized that I actually compiled and shared this ZIP file! Saves me some work at least

By now I have a whole lot more CE1.0 Software, almost done with sorting it too
 Top of the page
Blackfox360 Page Icon Posted 2021-01-30 12:03 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

LOL, well glad I could share what you shared because sharing is caring.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that it was someone from here that put it on here in the first place.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.232 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 10