x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Exploring Psion's Drives with Java_Psion_Link

Jake Page Icon Posted 2021-01-29 2:36 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
PsiWin 2.3.3 will actually install on current Windows 10 64-bit (as of 1/21), sync Outlook (at least Outlook 2010), convert files, and backup/restore your Psion's drives.

But the Explorer portion of PsiWin, the ability to copy/paste files in the Psion, is a no-go in Win10. But "John" over at Sourceforge developed a Java program to do just that. Though the program is circa 2004, it still works remarkably well in Win10:

http://www.littlespikeyland.com/psionlink/

To make things easier, all necessary files and instructions are available for download here, all except Java itself.

There are two sets of instructions included, but the javaxcomm_install.docx refers to an installer, which is also included in the download. I chose to install the files manually.

Since I rarely use java and its later renditions appear to be as bloated as any software, I installed the older Java 1.4.2, referenced in the enclosed "JPL installation on WinNT.rtf," and this smaller Java works without complaint.

Once you're up and running, connected to the PC's proper COMM port with a USB-Serial adapter and Psion's Link set to 115K Cable, the Psion's drives appear in an Explorer-type setting on the PC. From there, you can copy files and directories, much like PsiWin's own Explorer on older versions of Windows.

There's also a backup/restore option that was unsuccessful in my testing. PsiWin's own backup/restore is much more robust.

Do make sure that PsiWin is completely shut down before running JPL; otherwise, they will have a port fight.

Given all the difficulties of syncing/exploring WinCE devices on current Windows, it's amazing that a PsiWin/JPL tandem soldiers on.

Jake

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Psion_Java_Explorer.zip (988KB - 2 downloads)
 Top of the page Quote Reply
Karpour Page Icon Posted 2021-01-29 11:50 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

Thanks for sharing, will definitely try this out
fantablium Page Icon Posted 2021-02-02 4:53 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Wow, thats great news! I have a Psion 7 which I thought I might dig out but wasn't sure if Win10 would support it!
Thank you for sharing!
Jake Page Icon Posted 2021-02-02 6:12 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I've got everything working with both a Series 7 and a Mako

Jake
jorel101 Page Icon Posted 2021-02-02 8:59 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Sort of unrelated to your post but a general question about the psion devices; how good are the keyboards on these compared to a mobilepro?
Jake Page Icon Posted 2021-02-02 9:09 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Depends on the Psion, I think. I don't own a Mobilepro, but I'm still positive that it has a hugely better keyboard than the Revo/Mako.

As for the Series 5/5mx and certainly the Series 7, Psion was renowned for those keyboards. For reference, I would say a 5/5mx keyboard is better than a Jornada 720's (though the J720 is a better device for a variety of other reasons).

And the Planet Computer's Gemini/Cosmo series sells itself on its keyboard, which is a Psion keyboard reincarnation.

People complained about the dodgy screen cable of the Psions, but never stopped bragging about the keyboard.

Jake
munchausen Page Icon Posted 2021-02-03 5:10 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

This is great! I've seen the java psion link but never tried it. Good to know that it works so well. I've made a port of plptools to windows, which allows mapping the psion drives under windows, but at the moment it is painfully slow and not worthy of release.

Edited by munchausen 2021-02-03 5:11 PM
Jake Page Icon Posted 2021-02-03 5:20 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Slow or not, that's pretty impressive.

Jake
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.155 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 12