x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

HPC/Windows CE device recommendation

1 2 3
workpadz50man Page Icon Posted 2021-01-31 7:25 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Dear friends,

I kindly request your recommendations on a handheld PC/Windows CE device that will allow me to perform word processing and emailing.

I own an IBM Workpad z50; the device is quite suitable for my word proceesing needs. However, I finally ventured into getting the device to work with a Dell Truemobile 1150 wifi card..and realized this setup won't be able to connect to WAPs that use WPA/WPA2 security.

Therefore, if possible, I'd like to acquire a device that will allow for a good bit of word processing, basic emailing and still have that "retro" feel.

Any recommendations?

Thank you as always
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2021-01-31 9:33 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
As far as I know, except for a Linux setup on a Jornada 720, there is no WinCE device that can connect to anything beyond WEP. So your own machine is the unfortunately current standard.

If email is what you want (and that's about all there is; well, maybe RSS too), you could connect via an ethernet card and wifi extender (one of those jobbies that plugs into an outlet and has an ethernet port).

Or if you truly want to get "retro," you could dig up an old IR-capable phone, make an infrared connection to your device, and get on-line with no security hassle, albeit at 115K

But I think you can do those things with your z50 (I've always wanted one of those).

Jake

Edited by Jake 2021-01-31 9:37 PM
 Top of the page
workpadz50man Page Icon Posted 2021-01-31 11:10 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thank you so very much!

I just might try the IR thing.

Thanks again!
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2021-02-01 4:56 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

I like the NEC MobilePro 900c for the size of the keyboard. I've used a PCMCIA / CF ethernet card to hook up to my router. Not wireless, but syncs well with nPopUK. For wireless, I use a compatible PCMCIA card and a wifi extender set to WEP. This extender is controlled via a smart plug so I can turn it on and off through my phone using an app. That way, when I need don't need it I can simply turn the entire repeater off.
 Top of the page
fantablium Page Icon Posted 2021-02-01 9:14 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

While not technically a windows CE device you could look at an HTC Advantage, the built in wifi can do WPA, the keyboard isn't as good as a Jornada but it has a very cool 'retro' look and feel
 Top of the page
workpadz50man Page Icon Posted 2021-02-01 12:20 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Brilliant! Thank you...

have everything but the MobilePro...have to start hunting for it.

Thanks again!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-02-01 1:38 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

workpadz50man - 2021-02-01 12:20 PM

Brilliant! Thank you...

have everything but the MobilePro...have to start hunting for it.

Thanks again!
I sense a change in username coming FYI you can use WPA with CE .net 4.2 on the MP900C if you are careful with what Card/driver you pick - you cannot use WPA2 though.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2021-02-01 1:55 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Ah, that's right--4.2 + WPA. I missed that, my thinking was HPC2000 and below. @workpadz50man--if you found a TinyBook, running WinCE 6.0 Embedded, that might get you WPA2.

@fantablium--I have an Advantage and that's a lot of fun to play with. Keyboard would be quite a step down from the z50, but you'd be on-line without problem, other than difficult browsing. I wish a text-browser, similar to Links2, had been ported to Win Mobile.

Jake
 Top of the page
Richard Plume Page Icon Posted 2021-02-01 1:59 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I second the recommendation for the MobilePro series for word processing. I don't think it gets any better. I would recommend the 700 (monochrome screen, runs on 2 AA batteries, Wince 2.0, really great outdoors, camping, away from civilization, etc.). The 780 is also really good (colour screen and can use a 4 x AA battery adaptor).

Rick
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2021-02-01 3:29 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Rick! There you are! Everything okay in your neck of the woods?

Jake
 Top of the page
Richard Plume Page Icon Posted 2021-02-01 8:53 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Hi Jake!

Yes, everything is going well here, north of the border. My wife is now an apprentice retiree, having accepted a buyout she doesn't have to work and officially retires at the end of July. This was supposed to be our time to travel, but it's not to be at the moment. We're staying safe and working on refinishing the bedroom. Having a house means there's always something to do...

I hope everything is going well down there.

Rick
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2021-02-01 9:49 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Congratulations to your wife. A well-earned life of leisure, or at least of bedroom-refinishing. I'm much more of an introvert than my wife, so quarantine doesn't affect me the way it affects her. She loves to travel and can't and that drives her crazy sometimes. And now, with different covid variants and a botched vaccine rollout, I feel the end of this ridiculousness getting further away from us all the time.

Daughter and her husband just got over covid, as did brother-in-law, they were very lucky to have mild symptoms. So that's good and good is what I keep trying to find.

Jake
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2021-02-01 10:49 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Don't trust those Canucks…
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2021-02-01 11:01 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Rich! It's a reunion of the seldom-posters!

Jake
 Top of the page
yeek Page Icon Posted 2021-02-02 1:25 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

All the Windows CE 5.0 devices we got at work connect to with WPA2 (PEAP). They’re big clunky beats though, Motorola VC5090’s aren’t exactly portable, but the CE itself isn’t the limitation. That said, I’ve been thinking a little about getting online with “good enough” security and a palmtop and the best idea I’ve had so far is... kind of terrible if I’m being honest!

Here goes: WiFi bridges. So I got a chunky 4 port bridge that I used to use for the game console in the den (I finally ran cable so it’s not doing anything now) but it can connect to the WiFi and then a boring old ethernet PCMCIA card can go from that to my HP 320lx. Not really portable but it got me thinking. How about a raspberry pi? I can get a little battery case, connect to the WiFi, share the connection over eth0, get it all set up to start sharing at boot and run it headless. I could potentially even remove RJ45S on the pi and solder leads right to the PCMCIA card and epoxy it all so it looks like one ugly unit. Wonder if the pi zero W has contacts for ethernet? That’d be a little smaller. Ought to give me something to do over the weekend at least!

I may not do it, but that’s honestly the direction I’m headed right now. Unless I come up with a better evil plan.
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 10