x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

My HP 320LX's past life

yeek Page Icon Posted 2021-02-11 12:55 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

I was poking around in the files that were on the 8MB CF card that was slotted into my 320LX when I got it and have discovered it's history.

One of the files on it was group_meeting.pwd and although I'm left with reading it in notepad or on the HPC directly that's not much of a challenge. The entries go from July 18th 1997 to October 17th 1997, so it was used for at least 3 months. Or whoever was using it didn't back up their files to the CF card after that. Most of the entries are along these lines:

A004-9710-gcms of rnb60215 to compare with hoechst 3431-1 james towner

Which doesn't mean a whole lot to me. Others are a little less obscure, under 10-10-97:

fired dillip

A moment of silence for "dillip" if you please.

There's one enlightening entry that was the key to it's past however:

7-25-97 

done> replaced source
installed new vacuum guage
analyzed headspace of sulfix 815 ken tachi
worked on amine hydrochloride for arco!, pyro of g.roof
oxidized sample and amine hcl
pyro of bong's sample surdyne a237
exp-101 distillates (amides) for john motier

todo> 2-pyrolyses for marilyn blaschke
2-eva polymers for pat breen
install ms thermocouples
gary patek sample, sulfate?

Searching the web one of the first results was the obituary for John Motier, https://tulsaworld.com/archives/motier---john-francis/article_fb8370...

Among other things it says John was an employee of "Baker Petrolite Corporation" for a while. Searching up one of the other names finds a biography of Marilyn Blashke from AICHE https://www.aiche.org/proceedings/people/marilyn-blaschke

It just so happens she was/(is?) an employee of "Baker Petrolite Corporation" as well. So there it is. My HPC was a player in the petrochemical industry! pretty cool if you ask me.

Edited by yeek 2021-02-11 12:55 PM
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2021-02-11 1:45 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

That's really neat. Grats on the find and the history of your handheld.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-02-11 1:55 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Poor Dillip Perhaps he was taking free samples?
 Top of the page
yeek Page Icon Posted 2021-02-11 2:09 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

I can find a paper by a "Dilip Dave" that deals with "Cost effective production of environmental distillate fuels" from 1997 and it has him working at a company called "Criterion Catalyst Co Ltd". http://www.eptq.com/view_article.aspx?intAID=440 and another from 1999 with him at that same company http://www.eptq.com/view_article.aspx?intAID=56

So if that's dillip I guess things worked out for him after all. There's an actor/director by that same name who worked in the 90's but I'm not sure chemical engineering and acting go hand-in-hand, even if one or the other was just moonlighting... Who'd have thought that the world has two people named Dilip Dave? Not me, that's for certain.

I've attached the files in question if anyone's interested in having a look.

Edited by yeek 2021-02-11 2:31 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-02-11 5:08 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

To the Anglicised ear, it does sound more like something you might unfortunately do to Dave, a verb, than a noun.

You should probably delete those, that's definitely illegal in the UK.
 Top of the page
yeek Page Icon Posted 2021-02-11 5:23 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Can't delete, no edit button or anything shows on that post. Guess I'll just hope none of the dead people complain.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-02-11 5:35 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Yeah, but it'll be me they sue so... snip
 Top of the page
yeek Page Icon Posted 2021-02-11 5:45 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

I gotta say I wish we had something like the Data Protection Act over on this side of the pond. I mean, all the recent laws deal exclusively with credit scores and financial data, the big two (Privacy Act & Privacy Protection Act) are from like the mid 70's and 1980! That's what happens when the average age of a federal judge is like 109 and they don't know what a computer is let alone an email.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 9