x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Earthquake

1 2 3
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-02-14 2:32 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I found out the other day that part of the reason why Japan suffers blackouts during these times is because you have two separate energy grids. One in the west running at US 60Hz and one in the east running at European 50Hz. So when you have to S.C.R.A.M. power plants, the load cannot be taken over from the other side of the country because the grids are incompatible.

That must be super annoying even when lives aren't at risk (electronics blowing up, flicker on camera recordings, coil whine).
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-02-14 2:39 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Yes, that seems to be the case.

History says that German generators and American generators that were imported long time ago set the differences in the East and the West. There were talks to unify the frequency, but it never happened.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-02-14 2:41 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Sounds like something that needs addressing, it seems crazy! Has there at least been legislation in place to ensure that all equipment renewals are dual-phase, so after a period of attrition the changing of the phase will be easier?

Sorry that we couldn't get the robotic arm out to you in time - http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/14059716
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2021-02-14 3:41 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Check it OUT!
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-02-15 4:08 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

C:Amie - 2021-02-14 11:41 PM

Sounds like something that needs addressing, it seems crazy! Has there at least been legislation in place to ensure that all equipment renewals are dual-phase, so after a period of attrition the changing of the phase will be easier?

Sorry that we couldn't get the robotic arm out to you in time - http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/14059716

About the robotic arm: Ah... Oh well... Let's blame it on the pandemic.

I don't know if there is a legislation, but many years back, some electronics were not dual-AC-frequency (50/60Hz) in Japan. I think those were electronics with fans / motors etc.

Edited by stingraze 2021-02-15 4:09 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-02-15 9:37 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

stingraze - 2021-02-15 4:08 AM

About the robotic arm: Ah... Oh well... Let's blame it on the pandemic.
You don't sound convinced? lol
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-02-16 4:03 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

No, it's just that I don't really have the position to comment on the subject.

Edited by stingraze 2021-02-16 4:04 AM
 Top of the page
Mjolnir Page Icon Posted 2021-02-16 11:32 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

C:Amie - 2021-02-14 2:41 PM

From that link: "Japan approached Britain to develop a special robotic arm because it has more experience in this field." Must admit I found that a surprising statement. In the field of robotics I didn't think anyone had more expertise than the Japanese with the possible exception of the awesome and borderline fearsome agility of some of the Boston Dynamics creations. Not meant as a slight to British technology.
Are some of the British companies more specialized in radiation shielding?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-02-16 11:45 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

We've been busily performing nuclear decommissioning of our 1940's and 1950's experimentation sites for the last 10-20 years. This includes all of the dumping pools in Cumbria at Sellafield ( https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46301596 ) and of course Windscale ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windscale_fire ). With that experience, we have been helping the Japanese to clean up Fukushima pretty much since the day it happened ( https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-cumbria-28272680 & https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/business-33847598 )

Top of the page
Mjolnir Page Icon Posted 2021-02-16 12:13 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Good deal, the U.S. has many 'ticking time bombs' that need to be cleaned up but it's probably not going to happen in my lifetime, at least not till something bad happens.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-02-16 12:27 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

That was basically the thinking, given that most of the 1940's and 50's material that didn't go into our A-bomb and H-bomb programmes was sitting in open air ponds on the coast of Cumbria. Despite that, as it is such a painfully slow process, it'll still take the entire lifetime of someone born today to see if finished, but at least we've started and are dealing with the most dangerous things now before someone tried to drop a 747 into it.

If you're old enough to be aware of the Lockerbie bombing of Pan Am flight 103:

(lockerbie-sellafield.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments lockerbie-sellafield.png (123KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
yeek Page Icon Posted 2021-02-16 12:39 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Spent fuel is so weird, on the one hand we pile it up and bury it, on the other, here's xkcd: https://what-if.xkcd.com/29/

What if I took a swim in a typical spent nuclear fuel pool? Would I need to dive to actually experience a fatal amount of radiation? How long could I stay safely at the surface?...

...just to be sure, I got in touch with a friend of mine who works at a research reactor, and asked him what he thought would happen to you if you tried to swim in their radiation containment pool.

“In our reactor?” He thought about it for a moment. “You’d die pretty quickly, before reaching the water, from gunshot wounds.”

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-02-16 1:58 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

hahaha, probably for the best TBH
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-03-20 10:08 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Another big earthquake (M7.2) hit Tohoku area of Japan. I am okay and my area seems alright, but seems like tsunami is coming in Miyagi area. Please pray for Japan.

Edited by stingraze 2021-03-20 10:50 AM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2021-03-20 12:57 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Oh, stingraze, I'm so sorry to hear that this refuses to stop. I just read that the tsunami warning has been downgraded to "forecast" and I hope they're right, that the waves never build. Fingers crossed for good news.

Jake
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 11