x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

RadioActivity Tool: a damage calculator for Windows Mobile

1 2
DutchComputerKid Page Icon Posted 2021-02-14 8:45 PM
#
Avatar image of DutchComputerKid
Factorite (Junior)

Hello!

Since my recent acquisition of three HP IPaq 214's I've wanted to get into CE development again.
I've tried in the past with .NET 2 but not really come up with anything that works well or is even remotely usable.

Been a couple years on HPC:Factor now, so I can't think of a better place to share.
So, I'd like to share my accomplishment!

I've made RadioActivity Tool, an application that does the following:

• RAT Gives damage reports in normal sentences, how long and what the effect is on the human body.

• Supports input in Roentgen, Gray and Sieverts. (All is converted to Sieverts for result)

• Input range from Micro to Absolute, (0.000001 to 1)

Download (CAB install included): https://github.com/DutchComputerKid/RadioActivity-Tool

If someone can really use it a different question, but it sure is cool!

Greetings, DutchComputerKid
 Top of the page
yeek Page Icon Posted 2021-02-14 9:33 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

That’s pretty cool. We have radiation sources on the blown film lines in extrusion (it’s how we measure thickness) and I’ve always been curious what their potential hazard is. Neat to see a tool that’ll tell me in plain English.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-02-15 9:40 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Very nice idea, I'm certain that it'll be of use to education.

What devices have you tested it on?
 Top of the page
DutchComputerKid Page Icon Posted 2021-02-15 9:41 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Whoah, you can actually use it?
That's awesome, I guess there's a market for everything

Top of the page
DutchComputerKid Page Icon Posted 2021-02-15 9:45 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

C:Amie:

I've tested it on my new IPaq 214's, and an RX1955.
The RX1955 complains about a NumericUpDown being too large, but making it smaller could hurt the input precision.

Otherwise, judging by Visual Studio 2008's built in emulators it will run for sure on Windows Mobile 2003 and higher, if I were to fix that bug.

Also wrote a step by step guide on how to use and begin with C# development on Windows Mobile, for future reference in case I want to port something again.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-02-15 10:00 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Perhaps there are some willing testers here who can try it on real H/PC hardware and feedback too.
 Top of the page
DutchComputerKid Page Icon Posted 2021-02-15 10:25 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

C:Amie:

That would be nice! I've just pushed the new, now tested on WM2003 version with the extra Messaging libraries it requires.

I also realized that Pocket PC 2002 and older might not give that exact error. Maybe the messaging library would fix that? Who knows.

In any case, tested and working on IPaq 214 and RX1955.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-02-15 11:09 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

We're a H/PC shop here, so your iPaq's and your WM2003 communication API's mean nothing to me
 Top of the page
DutchComputerKid Page Icon Posted 2021-02-15 11:22 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

A shop? Ah that explains the EBay and Amazon links. XD
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-02-15 11:24 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

LOL, no, that's a British-ism. It means the same as the British-ism "bread and butter".

We're a Handheld PC shop --> We're a Handheld PC Workshop --> We only deal in Handheld PC's.

Saying "Handheld PC's are our bread and butter" would mean the same i.e. Handheld PC's are what we do.

.... we're all a bit mad really....

the amazon and ebay link buttons are there to help support the site if someone wants to link to something. We might get a couple of £ back to help with running costs (and remain ad-free).
 Top of the page
DutchComputerKid Page Icon Posted 2021-02-15 12:04 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Ohhhw like that, I getcha' now.
 Top of the page
yeek Page Icon Posted 2021-02-15 9:24 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

DutchComputerKid - 2021-02-15 4:41 AM

Whoah, you can actually use it?
That's awesome, I guess there's a market for everything

Oh yeah, radiation sources are used in lots of manufacturing applications. People don’t realize how useful it is. Pretty much anyone who’s making material that needs to be a precise thickness (plastics, paper, foils, that sort of stuff) uses a beta radiation source to measure that in real time as it’s produced.

My bad explanation: throw the discharge of your source through your material and at a grating or detector at the other side. Because you know the rate/power of discharge for your source you can tell how much is being blocked by the material you pass it through. If you also the the density of the material you can get the thickness.

Fun fact: I walked down to the factory floor today and looked, we use Strontium 90!

Lame fact: I’m gonna have to install it on one of the devices at work, my own palmtop only runs Windows CE 2.0

Edited by yeek 2021-02-15 9:25 PM
 Top of the page
DutchComputerKid Page Icon Posted 2021-02-15 9:33 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

yeek - 2021-02-15 9:24 PM

Oh yeah, radiation sources are used in lots of manufacturing applications. People don’t realize how useful it is. Pretty much anyone who’s making material that needs to be a precise thickness (plastics, paper, foils, that sort of stuff) uses a beta radiation source to measure that in real time as it’s produced.

My bad explanation: throw the discharge of your source through your material and at a grating or detector at the other side. Because you know the rate/power of discharge for your source you can tell how much is being blocked by the material you pass it through. If you also the the density of the material you can get the thickness.

Fun fact: I walked down to the factory floor today and looked, we use Strontium 90!

Lame fact: I’m gonna have to install it on one of the devices at work, my own palmtop only runs Windows CE 2.0

That's awesome! I never knew you could do something like that, using it for measurements.
Strontium 90, low half life too so that's nice. It's not stupid if it works, I say!

As for your devices, yeah oops this is the most modern language for programs. XD
You can just look at the GitHub, I've provided all you'll hopefully need. The CAB file, dotNET and if your device is on 2003 or older you'll need the Messaging non-wm cab file too.

Do tell if it works!
 Top of the page
yeek Page Icon Posted 2021-02-15 10:13 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Is low half life good or bad? Like if it’s low doesn’t that mean it decays faster or gives off more radiation? Physics was not my thing.

The maintenance guys were telling me they gotta get some weird certification/safety training every so often just for the units even though they’re fully self contained and they don’t work on them. It’s just ‘cause one of the electrical panels is within like 5 feet of one of the units. One of the operators who’s worked there since before I was born told me they get replaced every 20 years or so-whether they need it or not! And even then he said there’s some outside contractor who handles everything to do with them. This other guy said he thinks there’s a log that gets filled out every so often where they take readings from around the units with a Geiger counter or something. I’m gonna ask the safety department if they get any readings on it and then plug that into your app.

If I didn’t say it before, very cool work! Thanks for putting it out there.
 Top of the page
DutchComputerKid Page Icon Posted 2021-02-15 10:40 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Half life if I recall correctly is when a radioactive 'thing' reduces its output by 50%. The shorter, the better it is for the environment. Some last thousands of years! Makes getting rid of them safely really hard, and the lower the half life the safer it will be in the long run.

Makes sense, measuring once in a while. Same thing like X-Ray's in a hospital. Once is not so bad, but many times can get really bad for the doctor. So they hide, lots of memes of that around.
I'd say that counts for the equipment at your work too. Watch out before your surroundings themselves become radioactive, you know? Kinda the same effect.

But cool! If ya need any help or bugs appear, I'd be happy to help!
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.296 - Cached queries : 53 - Executed queries : 29