x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Recommended/Must Have Apps for a Jornada 680e (YouTube project)

NCommander Page Icon Posted 2021-02-15 9:48 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I'm working on putting together a video on the Jornada 680e (cost reduced 680 minus the CF slot and cradle), and I've got mine working with WIndows CE Services for 95, and even got it plugged into Exchange 5.5 and Outlook for the full nine yards. I'm trying to figure out what are some good apps to demo, given that the SuperH architecture was not what I call popular for CE devices, and the later Jornadas were ARM-based.

Honestly, I've been kinda feeling like I'm going to have to install EVC and *compile* something, because the pickings are kinda slim. NetHack 3.6 should be compilable by eVC 3 (I hope), and I can't even seem to find a good way to sort SCL by architecture.

I've got a copy of Entertainment Pack for Windows CE coming, but that won't get here until March and I may do a dedicated video on that alone because big boxed handleheld software amuses me, and is neat in general.

I'm also struggling to get a PCMCIA NE2000 card working with the Jornada. The PCMCIA slot it working, a CF adapter shows up, but my Kingston Ethernet card doesn't, even though it seems to be on the HW compatiblity list. It seems there's a SMH driver, but there's no way to buy it, just the trialwhere. I might just hook up a serial connection for demoing Pocket Internet Explorer.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-02-15 11:07 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Use ActiveSync 3.8 instead of CE Services.

There were more Super Hitachi devices released than MIPS or ARM, so your argument there doesn't quite stand up. After 1998 everything - for the most part - moved to ARM, including all PPC releases. So ARM came to dominate. However for the first 2 years, SH was king.

Searching the SCL by architecture would be unhelpful in so many cases. It's like saying show me all software that runs on the MOS 6502 processor. Which includes the Acorn, Apple I, Apple II, Atari 2600, BBC Micro, the Nintendo Entertainment System and the Commodore PET. It would make for a pretty list, but would be kind of useless. CE isn't quite that bad, but min supported kernel versions, supported screen sizes and sub-processor variants do apply.

While the SCL does have the ability to "show me all apps that work on the 'Jornada 680'" there just are not enough compatibility submissions or corrections from the user community to make the dataset worth while enabling the search functionality. There are 1096 apps and only 1093 compatibility records. The problem is similar in the HCL where there are 788 devices and 631 compatibility votes.

However, if you want to try it, please head to the SCL, go into Categories and set a Device filter. Now browse.

Please report you application and hardware compatibility to the SCL/HCL to help make it better for everyone!. Unless the community reports successes and failures, there isn't much we can do about it.

I am assuming that it is a Kingston EtheRx Compact I/O Ethernet 10Base-T Adapter?
Is the CF card not working in either the PC Card slot or the CF slot?
Do the switch ports light up?
Does CE prompt for a driver name (if it is ne2000 it will be ne2000.dll)?
Do you have a different system with a PC Card slot or CF clot that you can test in?

I do not know what a SMH driver is?

Don't forget to mention HPC:Factor in your video to earn a community badge! - https://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=20044
 Top of the page
NCommander Page Icon Posted 2021-02-15 11:48 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

TBH, I'm still doing my research on this project, but my vague memories was it was more MIPS before ARM would eventually dominate, but that's memories filtered through 20 years. I'm still digging through old InfoWorlds ATM

That's fair on the point as far as architecture goes, but being able to say "CE 2 + SH" would help. I meant to type SBM, but basically this: http://cetools.com/englisch/windowsce/sbm-ne2000/index.htm. I did find a few apps in both cabinet form and EXE to get my point across. I actually am using Windows CE Services intentionally because its what this handheld would have had in the box (it's specifically shown in the manual), but I know that for "serious" use, I should use ActiveSync, but I'm trying to use period specific stuff. So Windows 95, Office 97 + Exchange 5.5 on NT, and CE Services, with a companion Think Pad 380D.

(I know this handheld came out in 99, but the ThinkPad shipped with '95 )

I may switch to ActiveSync if network sharing works with it. I have the option in CE Services, but I can't get online w/ Pocket IE despite the connected icon in the tray.

As for the PC card, yeah, it's a Kingston EtheRx (KNE-PC2). The card itself shows up in Card Info, and the Link light turns on, so something is happening, but its not trying to talk to the network and there's no activity light flashing, and I don't think its being detected as an NE2000-compatible device. I know the card itself works, it's currently rocking in my ThinkPad just fine.

The CF card works in the PCMCIA slot with an adapter, there's no dedicated CF slot on this model (its the 680e, so no cradle, no CF slot). "NE2000-compatible device" is listed in networking, but I get no prompt when I insert the card.

It's also really hard to remove from the handheld (like I feel like something is going to break even after use the eject button). I tried a 32-bit card as well, but that doesn't even show up, so I'm guessing this is just 16-bit slot.

As for H: PC, I'll admit it will likely only be a passing reference like "most of the CE software I found preserved was here and I got help here" or something like that since I'm focusing on the handheld, but I might do a larger CE ecosystem, especially if I can find a copy of Platform Builder, and repress most of my memories of working w/ eVC professionally.

Edited by NCommander 2021-02-15 11:49 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-02-15 2:00 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

ActiveSync doesn't let you connect to the internet via the cradle. You would need to follow: https://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/c/0018.asp
AS just has all the bug fixes in it and wider office support.

Try giving the card a manual IP address, it may be slipping up with DHCP.

I assume that the trialware version of that driver doesn't help you any?

CardBus won't work in consumer CE devices: https://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/h/0037.asp

Working with eVC and repression. Two words that most certainly go well together
 Top of the page
NCommander Page Icon Posted 2021-02-15 2:39 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Just tried it with the network card w/ a static IP and it's working fine now O_o;. The thing is, I had tried this (the static IP was already in there) and had no luck before. I'm currently browsing Gopherspace through the floodgap gopher proxy so I don't know how to explain it. I still don't have a "Connected to Network" indicator in the system tray so as far as I know, it's running on Magic(tm). I really wish I had a decent way to put a CF card on it because I kinda want to turn it into a low powered BBS .

Annoyingly, the cardbus card I tried actually went in without issue although it didn't power up.

And yeah, I've done professional Windows CE development (all private business stuff), and good lord, I think the only thing worse to develop for is Symbian. I love CE as a user, I *hated* it as a developer, and I think it's primarily because everything had to be Unicode, half the API was Win32, but with different behavior, and if you needed documentation, your best bet was to look in the header files or in Platform Builder, and to top it all off, the compiler will spite you for the hell of it.

EDIT: As for CE Services, I got it working just fine. I had to install SP2 for Office 97 because it was otherwise having a heart attack due to Exchange but otherwise no issues.

Edited by NCommander 2021-02-15 2:41 PM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 9