x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Covid Shots

1 2 3
Mjolnir Page Icon Posted 2021-02-15 7:24 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Has anyone else been vaccinated? I got my first shot today. One more in two weeks. No after effects... so far.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2021-02-15 10:40 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Got the first one a few weeks back… felt like crap for 12 hours, soreness at injection site.

Got 2nd shot couple days ago. 102.1 oral temperature, chills and shakes, no pain at site. Lasted 24 hrs… today I'm back to normal.

Moderna vaccine…

Personally know 9 people who caught Covid…1 who died from it… 57 years old with no preexisting medical conditions…started feeling bad one day at noon… was dead by 2 a.m.
 Top of the page
Mjolnir Page Icon Posted 2021-02-15 11:23 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Rich Hawley - 2021-02-15 10:40 PM
...Moderna vaccine…[same here]

Personally know 9 people who caught Covid…1 who died from it… 57 years old with no preexisting medical conditions…started feeling bad one day at noon… was dead by 2 a.m.
Three friends personally, all in mid-seventies and two of them had several co-morbidities and died within days of becoming ill. My other friend had no known 'conditions' and was a jogger for most of the 30 years we worked together. He finally has gotten off the respirator and out of the ICU after almost 3 months. He still can't speak or swallow correctly but we think he's going to make it.
I personally am in pretty good shape for a 'geezer' but in several cases that doesn't seem to give the protection I thought it did back at the start of the pandemic.
Stay safe.
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-02-16 12:53 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

I was wondering how others were doing.

First dose of Moderna vaccine no symptoms except sore arm injection site for a couple days.

However 3 days ago, 1 month after 1st dose....had 2nd dose Moderna...next day total body aches, sweats, malaise, mild flu like...lasted a couple days with one bad day...took Advil and tiny amount pain pill which controlled symptoms o.k. Feeling great today though.

Pfizer vaccine reportedly less troublesome on 2nd dose from what I've heard.

Joval
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2021-02-16 5:47 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I'm very sorry for your losses, Mjolnir and Rich.

I just turned 60 in December, but I rarely get sick even with a cold or influenza. I'm retired and staying home except to buy food (except for the past week when I was helping my girlfriend look after a relative who was suffering a different illness), and I always wear a mask (except when alone in my car) and maintain social distancing while out of my house. I want to make sure all first responders, medical personnel, essential workers, and high-risk individuals get their vaccines first.

My girlfriend works on a per diem basis in multiple hospitals, and one of the first COVID-19 deaths in Southern California occurred at a hospital where she was working. She's generally a very easygoing person, but like so many people who've seen the effects of the virus firsthand, she feels very strongly about people wearing masks in public. She did have to quarantine for two weeks last year after coming in contact with someone with the virus. Fortunately, she tested negative. (She hasn't yet gotten vaccinated either.) I've also tested negative twice in preparation for routine medical procedures.

I do have a couple of friends who were infected and developed relatively mild symptoms and recovered. Both reported temporary loss of sense of smell. Neither appears to have any long-term effects. Of course, even among those who recover, not everyone is fortunate enough to be spared long-term effects.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-02-16 8:17 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I'm sorry to everyone who has suffered losses. I'm aware of a few myself, but no one close at least yet.

I'll be months away from getting anything in the arm I suspect, due to age. I would rather a key worker get it first; I am coping with staying indoors just fine.

I have a mix of family members with Pfizer and AstraZeneca. I think the worst symptoms were aching all over for the first day. Then, like everyone else here has said, you feel fine.

Please keep in mind everyone that the aching and fever aren't negative side effects, they're proof that you are having a positive immune response. So please don't be put off getting it because of hearing this. Pop some paracetamol and box set binge something. It's better than winding up with long-Covid.

Stay safe everyone.
 Top of the page
yeek Page Icon Posted 2021-02-19 7:10 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

No shot for me any time soon and I only know one person personally who’s been able to get both of theirs. But then, they are a cardiac ICU nurse.

On the plus side, NPR Came out with a tool that the country can use to find vaccine resources in every state. Kind of bogus that media is picking up the federal government’s responsibility on that front but I’m happy someone put something together that will guide you to the right place for the group+area you’re in.

Until my turn comes I guess it’s just masking and keeping my office locked when I’m at work.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-02-19 7:53 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I have family in the 65+ age group who were allowed to sign-up for getting shot a couple of weeks back (before that was it 70+'s only and key workers). Whenever the websites release new appointment slots, they're gone in seconds. I have family members who are going to have to travel to the other side of their county because of how in demand they are. Only the larger cities have enough appointment capacity for you to have a chance at getting a slot.

Vulnerable folks seem to be OK though, the local GP's are dragging them in to get them. No one I know who is classed as vulnerable has needed to travel.

That said, the website infrastructure seems to be holding up. Nothing has crashed. It's just lack of hours in the day it seems.
 Top of the page
Karpour Page Icon Posted 2021-02-19 10:35 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

I was supposed to get the shot in April, but I doubt it'll happen. AstraZeneca is delivering only about a third of the agreed doses to the EU for now, and apparently Pfizer also is not going to be able to deliver as much as expected, so things are going very slow here. The infrastructure is all there, but the doses are missing :/

By the way, keep in mind that the first doses need about 2 weeks to actually protect against Covid, so don't be careless right after getting your shot!
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2021-02-23 10:05 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

We only have Sputnik in Russia which has had kind of messed up trial and shady reporting. Considering this and that I would be still obliged to wear a mask I pass this one. If I move to in-person working I will just wear full blown respirator with interchangeable cartridges to my job and be semi-paranoid in general.

Might get a shot if we ever have Pfizer here.

Edited by Alt Bass 2021-02-23 10:05 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-02-23 10:43 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

At least the Russian one isn't as bad as the Chinese - and appears to actually work. Malaysia, Singapore, Brazil and Turkey and probably more are all back tracking on ones coming out of China.

As usual though with China, it has been about face rather than actual delivery. Though with Russia's rush to be first out the door despite lacking any peer reviewed 'as safe' trial data... you could argue that the strategy there was not much different.

Sadly Alt Bass, I can't see any combination of events where the Russian people would be offered an American jab. I have a hard time thinking the UK one would be accepted even if we offered it for free, let alone a US one! I just hope that time proves Sputnik to be effective!

All of the over 65's in my family have been shot now. The UK government is now saying that everyone over 18 will be shot by the beginning of July.
 Top of the page
yeek Page Icon Posted 2021-02-23 11:19 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

It's seems so weird everyone (me included) tends to think of this or that vaccine as the American one, the British one, the Russian one etc. Like, sure the Moderna one was developed in Cambridge Massachusetts, and is mostly made in labs around there, but I heard there's a lab in India trying to get approved to make it. Then the AstraZeneca one was developed by a Swedish company in Oxford and is being cranked out in Germany, Belgium, and India. Pfizer was developed in Germany and is being made in Marburg there and in Belgium. And Sputnik V was invented in Russia and is being made there and in India, China, Brazil, and South Korea plus some others that are gearing up to make it. And that's only the big four.

It makes me feel like after a while any place that's making one of the vaccines is going to end up making the others as well. I'm sure there's licensing and patents that's keeping that to a minimum now, it just would make more sense to me to have all these places with the resources to do it to crank out doses of whichever is in demand rather than only their own pet vaccine.
 Top of the page
munchausen Page Icon Posted 2021-02-23 11:21 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

My wife and I had COVID, but thankfully quite mildly (we are both under 40). Still get out of breath doing relatively ordinary things, but hoping that will go away in time. We got it from my daughters nursery, where all the staff also had it.

My father has heart failure and diabetes and was not contacted to get the vaccine, but fortunately Mum got one as a health care provider and she took him with her last week and they said he could go too. I think everyone we were worried about has now had the first dose, and it's finally looking like we might get back to normal life in a few months.

Very sorry to hear that people here have lost friends and loved ones.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-02-23 1:41 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

yeek - 2021-02-23 11:19 AM

It's seems so weird everyone (me included) tends to think of this or that vaccine as the American one, the British one, the Russian one etc. Like, sure the Moderna one was developed in Cambridge Massachusetts, and is mostly made in labs around there, but I heard there's a lab in India trying to get approved to make it. Then the AstraZeneca one was developed by a Swedish company in Oxford and is being cranked out in Germany, Belgium, and India. Pfizer was developed in Germany and is being made in Marburg there and in Belgium. And Sputnik V was invented in Russia and is being made there and in India, China, Brazil, and South Korea plus some others that are gearing up to make it. And that's only the big four.

It makes me feel like after a while any place that's making one of the vaccines is going to end up making the others as well. I'm sure there's licensing and patents that's keeping that to a minimum now, it just would make more sense to me to have all these places with the resources to do it to crank out doses of whichever is in demand rather than only their own pet vaccine.
I don't think it's weird - also AstraZenica is a Swedish-British company, not Swedish, Astra was Swedish, Zenica was British. There are production lines for them all over the world, on every continent.

The R&D "nationalism tag" tells you something about the transparency of the process that went behind it. That's what it's being used for here in this process. UK, Sweden, France, USA, Canada have been open, transparent and peer reviewed. In the case of AstraZenica they've basically given it away as open source. Russia and China on the other hand are hiding data, hiding info, being closeted and secretive - I dare say not because they are hiding anything, but because that's all they know - at a government level - how to be. They're also using it for political capital and leverage. It has clearly been a race to be seen to have outdone everyone else.

The sad fact of the matter is that when you are looking at the jab through the lens of the Chinese and Russian governments (not their people). They are trying to make their offerings look prestigious, generate face and garner positive coverage. The need for recognition has come before ensuring safety and the common, open international trials and peer-review processes. The Russian government or Chinese government are going to look at where their source their immunisation with a key emphasis of the optics of that decision due to political dogma.

Places such as the EU and part of South America, just don't care - although if France's immunogen programme had worked, the EU would be a completely different conversation topic than it is today.

I'm pretty sure that if the US government turned around and lined up the Russian one in the States that there would be anarchy. I dare say that it wouldn't be overly popular over here either mind!
 Top of the page
yeek Page Icon Posted 2021-02-23 3:32 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Neat, didn't realize AstraZenica was a multi-national conglomerate. Miss out on a lot of the details the way the news tries to pack everything into a 30 second segment these days.

It just feels strange, like there's a whole wave of corporate nationalism from the public, but all the companies themselves seem to operate in multiple countries.

And here in the states we don't gotta worry about the Russian vaccine, all the crazies are convinced Bill Gates is putting microchips in the shots we are getting. But hey, free chips (micro or otherwise) is always good if you ask me!
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.281 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 11