x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

How do I even begin?

1 2 3 4
covex
covex Page Icon Posted 2005-10-06 5:23 AM
#
You are really making "doubled" work. Sarge is working pretty fine.

I added links to gentoo experimental stages to the page. It works nice, but has only console available.
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2005-10-06 10:05 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

PS, work with the others who are aiming for the same goal - it's not a race, it's getting there together which is the important bit
 Top of the page
ProgramSynthesiser
ProgramSynthesiser Page Icon Posted 2005-10-06 2:26 PM
#
Hahaha.

Chiark, the reason why I was mad is that I downloaded his distro, and it is essentially everything I have done. Its system is the same as mine, and it looks like he even followed my instructions on the forum to get it there. Its very similar. And most annoying is that it is actually behind the version I am using right now. His system is greatly bloated, and its X is standard, meaning it would use too much ram to be useful. I was hoping he would at least have kdrive working on there, or ipkg compiled. But he did not have anything extra that I could use to get mine closer to release. It is just frustrating that I cannot compile the programs I need to release it myself, as I do not have the microdrive yet. I am going to spend a weekend trying to fix my cross-compiler, but I really do not like being limited the way I am currently.

I spent weeks staying up until 2am getting my release to the way it is (not the one available for download, that is lightyears behind ) and now I have to stop and wait...
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-10-06 5:22 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

ProgramSynthesiser - 2005-10-06 8:26 PM

I spent weeks staying up until 2am getting my release to the way it is (not the one available for download, that is lightyears behind ) and now I have to stop and wait...

don't stop. share your current release, i can't wait to try it. especially if it's better than the sarge one.. then it is a shame you don't share it with us
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-10-06 11:02 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

I am saving my cf...I will put it through that workout when I get the microdrive. Sorry.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-10-06 11:11 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

ok and will you be posting your current version until that?
 Top of the page
PocketDVD Page Icon Posted 2005-10-06 11:36 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

covex - 2005-10-06 4:23 AM

I added links to gentoo experimental stages to the page. It works nice, but has only console available.

Where?
I'd love to try gentoo embedded, console or not, I honestly dont care.
I;ve been font of Gentoo since I started with it since v1.4rc1

I thought 10 years of fiddling with redhat would have tought me something about linux, but 1 single install of gentoo (3 days, lol) tought me more then I ever knew was possible.

Do you have an image that has compilers and stuff build in so I could try and compile stuff with distc++ for example (mainly centerICQ and LYNX?)
I'm a gentoo console freak (actually since I started Gentoo I became a console freak anyways)

the J is getting a break at the moment, and I guess it's not too happy laying next to my laptop without any batteries or power attached, but still.

Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-10-07 12:45 AM
#
H/PC Elder

If you have my downloadable version of debian already, just type:

apt-get install gcc

along with any other compilation tools that you need, such as make. You know, sometimes the solutions are there all along...I just downloaded the gpe familiar edition for the 720. Woohoo. It has ipkg....kdrive....gpe....

Sometimes I just feel really stupid for not thinking about the obvious.

It looks like the nfs problem may have been as simple as me forgetting to enable portmapper on my pc...which is kind of the thing that controls nfs transfers.

Anyways, my request is out on the forum for someone with a microdrive (or someone who is just plain crazy) to download my old but stable console edition of Debian for the 720 at ftp://programsynth.homelinux.net/debian-j720/console-editionv1/final-console.tar.gz , use apt to download the compiler software, and to PLEASE COMPILE PINE!

-Thank you.
 Top of the page
PocketDVD Page Icon Posted 2005-10-07 8:19 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

downloading,
but it's only 83mb, even extracted, it will fit on a 256mb cf, s why crazy?
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-10-08 12:29 AM
#
H/PC Elder

If space was all that mattered, I'd be impatiently waiting for the 2.6 kernel to be ready SOMETIME before 2.8 is released (ok, so I already am )

The problem is the limited read/writes a cf has. When you compile a program, there is a HUGE amount of reading, temporarily writing, writing, deleting (writing again), and more reading, for EACH source file. Even a small program like Pine would be a workout, and before I could try to do that, I would have to put my cf through the workout of downloading (writing), extracting (major r/w), and installing all the compilation software (same). I would do this if my cf had not already been put through weeks of strenuous activity for Debian. I do have a 256mb cf that actually can take more r/w (newer model), but I am not willing to sacrifice it for this.
 Top of the page
nevalabs Page Icon Posted 2005-10-08 4:18 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

ProgramSynthesiser - 2005-10-07 3:45 AM

Anyways, my request is out on the forum for someone with a microdrive (or someone who is just plain crazy) to download my old but stable console edition of Debian for the 720 at ftp://programsynth.homelinux.net/debian-j720/console-editionv1/final-console.tar.gz , use apt to download the compiler software, and to PLEASE COMPILE PINE!

I've tried to download your distribution from 3 different locations, but no success, I only get timeouts.

I have 2 small 340MB Microdrives that I bought just to try small NetBSD/Linux installations in my MP770 and J720. I use NetBSD with my MP770 all the time, but actually never tried anything on the J720 besides booting the kernel, so I think now it's a good time to start...

Do you know when your files will be available again ?!

Thanks,
Claudio Neves
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-10-08 7:12 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Yes, they are available now. Sorry about the problems, I was testing a better kernel for the pentium (in other words, one half the size).

I had a minor disaster with the http site itself, and I am restoring it right now. But that doesn't matter as far as my ftp site.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-10-08 10:09 PM
#
H/PC Elder

As I mentioned in A Call For Help, I decided to go crazy and compile pine myself. Which I did.

Anyways, that, on top of me having access to ipkg, means that things should start moving a lot faster now. Maybe later I will see what is going on with the 2.6 kernel. That is really all that I am waiting on at this point.

-nevalabs, what do you mean by 3 different locations? Is someone mirroring my release?

Edited by ProgramSynthesiser 2005-10-08 10:35 PM
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 11