x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

How do I even begin?

1 2 3 4
GunBlade Page Icon Posted 2005-08-05 8:34 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I want to install some form of Linux onto my Itronix GoBook H-206, but I don't even know where to start!
Please help a newbie in distress.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-08-05 10:13 AM
#
H/PC Elder

From the specs, you need a ARM SA1100 distro. jlime *might* just work on it.
 Top of the page
GunBlade Page Icon Posted 2005-08-05 1:36 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Hey, thanks for the quick response.
You really think that a distro for a different system might work on my arch?

Thanks.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-08-05 3:33 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Can't be too sure, but its worth a shot. ... and besides, the jlime distro just do a bootup from image via CF card. So there's no risk at all. Let us know how it goes ...
 Top of the page
GunBlade Page Icon Posted 2005-08-05 4:38 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I sure will!
Hope it works...

I'm sorry to ask, but how do I find the CF images? How do I put them on the CF? It's not just a regular copy..

Edited by GunBlade 2005-08-05 4:41 PM
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-08-05 7:10 PM
#
H/PC Elder

GunBlade - 2005-08-05 2:38 PM

I sure will!
Hope it works...

I'm sorry to ask, but how do I find the CF images? How do I put them on the CF? It's not just a regular copy..

well ... this is the tricky part. Some distro like NetBSD has a bootloader and installboot image that can reside in a FAT partition on a CF. This means you can use your card reader and setup a small partition (~16MB) and plunge in. Unfortunately, the hpcarm port for NetBSD is lagging right now and JLime is already gone Gold, ie good to go.

Option #1

Unfortunately unfortunately, Jlime requires you to create a linux partition on the CF. This means you need to have a linux (desktop) machine to start with. I'm exploring colinux, which I mentioned in another thread here, and if it works out, those trying out jlime or other distros can setup colinux and then prep the CF card with it.

http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1994&pos...

You happen to have 2 desktop running linux and also a Zaurus C3100 running OpenZaurus right? ... no? ... ok, just kidding. I'll see if I can get the colinux distro to access the CF card these few days. Had some problems yesterday. If it works out, I'll do a CESD (ok C:Amie, I got the materials for the 2 I promised ready, just formatting and layout! ) for using colinux with jlime. Maybe the jlime folks can incorporate the info into their site as well.

If anyone else knows an easier way, please update here too! ...

Option #2

oh, actually, I'll update here right now! ... you can use some of the linux distro that allows you to boot off a CD or a thumbdrive. Boot into linux (or *nix) and setup your CF card without installing the distro. Expect slightly slow usage as system files are read off the CD.

Anyone else?
 Top of the page
GunBlade Page Icon Posted 2005-08-05 7:37 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Hey
Lucky me, I have a Linux Desktop
But... the bootloader provided with Jlime (shlo.exe) does not work on my Windows CE. In fact it claims this is not a WinCE application... I assume it's because it's not ment for my processor?

Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-08-05 10:33 PM
#
H/PC Elder

GunBlade - 2005-08-05 5:37 PM

Hey
Lucky me, I have a Linux Desktop
But... the bootloader provided with Jlime (shlo.exe) does not work on my Windows CE. In fact it claims this is not a WinCE application... I assume it's because it's not ment for my processor?

oh lucky you! ... shlo.exe is for the SH3 processors in 680/680e series of Jornada HPCs. Your device has a StrongARM processor.

hmmm ... maybe you can try hpcarms port for NetBSD. Can you check if your device has flashrom? If so, you *might* be able to flash to OE (OpenEmbedded, familiar) which iPaq users can use. On the other hand, I dunno if you are able to find your original image if you want to revert back ...

Blade, can you also post to the jlime forum and see if they can point you to a bootloader for the SA device? Let us know how it goes ...
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-08-06 2:37 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

linexec.exe

Attachments
----------------
Attachments linexec.exe (16KB - 30 downloads)
 Top of the page
GunBlade Page Icon Posted 2005-08-06 4:54 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Thanks, but this thing only types "Hello World" onto my screen...
I will try to post to the jlime forums.

This is amazing! I can't find a single bootloader that works with Jlime!...

Edited by GunBlade 2005-08-06 5:18 AM
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-08-06 8:22 AM
#
H/PC Elder

woo hoo ... Hello World prog! Waiting for you to write that HTML/XML parser PS!
 Top of the page
GunBlade Page Icon Posted 2005-08-06 11:14 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Ugh... This is depressing..
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-08-06 12:01 PM
#
H/PC Elder

GunBlade - 2005-08-06 9:14 AM

Ugh... This is depressing..

hey, why don't u try out the bootloader for hpcarms in the meantime? And maybe it can even be made to load the jlime binaries?
 Top of the page
GunBlade Page Icon Posted 2005-08-06 3:14 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Ahem...

I'm DYING to know... where can I get that bootloader?
I've been looking for an ARM bootloader... ANY bootloader, and I can't find any. So please, tell me where can I get that bootloader you have mentioned..
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-08-06 8:53 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

*dies laughing*
GunBlade - I take that as an insult!

Why would I post a program that just says "Hello World!" for no reason?

It only says "Hello World!" when it is in the wrong spot! Hehehe...

I forgot to mention that you need to make a file that tells the program where everything is, but the kernel and initrd both need to be in the root directory of the compactflash card - which is \Storage Card. Then in the txt file, you tell it that everything is in there - here is mine.

Also make sure that you have initrd-2.4.31.gz and vmlinux-2.4.31-j720-2 in the \Storage Card directory - nowhere else! (it can work in other places, but just leave it this way)

But first you need to partition your card to the right size - mine is a 10mb FAT partition and a 400+ ext2 partition (or is it reiserfs? no matter). Anyways - make sure that the FAT partition is first, and do not mark it as FAT with fdisk! Leave it blank and have CE format it itself.

Edited by ProgramSynthesiser 2005-08-06 8:58 PM

Attachments
----------------
Attachments params.txt (0KB - 31 downloads)
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.265 - Cached queries : 53 - Executed queries : 30