x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

How do I even begin?

1 2 3 4
GunBlade Page Icon Posted 2005-08-07 2:44 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Hey, thanks! Now I know
I tried puting it with params.txt, but I never put the files in the right place... I think.
I will try that as soon as I get back home (I'm going out now)

Thanks!

Edit: Are you sure \Storage Card is the right path in every device? Could it be \Compact Flash ?

Edited by GunBlade 2005-08-07 2:47 AM
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-08-07 8:50 AM
#
H/PC Elder

GunBlade - 2005-08-07 12:44 AM

Hey, thanks! Now I know
I tried puting it with params.txt, but I never put the files in the right place... I think.
I will try that as soon as I get back home (I'm going out now)

Thanks!

Edit: Are you sure \Storage Card is the right path in every device? Could it be \Compact Flash ?

Its almost always "\Storage Card#" by default in wince devices. where # is blank or an positive integer.

Depending on the number of cards in your device, the number will be enumerated accordingly.
 Top of the page
GunBlade Page Icon Posted 2005-08-07 1:19 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Alrighty, I'll put everything in the root directory then.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-08-07 5:44 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

ACK! Bad idea...see - if by root directory you mean \, then that means that every time you run linux, all those files will be deleted! (Linux overwrites the ram, I am sure you know that) Just put everything in \Storage Card, and make sure you have the right files, and everything will be ok.

Oh, mine is set up to use debian 3, I didn't know anything about Jlime working on the 720, does it?

Because then you need to change the txt to have the right files - it should work anyways.

-Have I missed something?
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-08-07 6:08 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Just for everyone to know - linexec.exe is made to boot 2.4 kernels - my guess is that if you are trying to boot a 2.6 kernel, weird things will happen.

-I feel uninformed.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-08-08 2:59 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Ok, I'm informed.

Heh, I was slow today. For some reason I feel like half the forum already knows this, but for a version of linexec that can load 2.6 kernels, go here: http://wwwcip.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/~simigern/jornada-7xx/linu...

I will also include it as an attachment to this post.

I see that there is a test zImage of the kernel at that link, but where is the 2.6 kernel that everyone with a flashrom has been using?

Attachments
----------------
Attachments linexec.exe (16KB - 12 downloads)
 Top of the page
GunBlade Page Icon Posted 2005-08-08 4:13 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I'm a bit confused...
Isn't \Storage Card the root of the storage card? That's what I meant by root. I know the actual RAM is deleted.

Please, can you sum up what I need to do to get things working? Where to put what?

edit: By the way, I never said that Jlime works, I just didn't know which system might work. I won't mind loading Debian or whatever you got working for you, just tell me how...

Edited by GunBlade 2005-08-08 4:16 AM
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-08-08 9:33 AM
#
H/PC Elder

GunBlade - 2005-08-08 2:13 AM

I'm a bit confused...
Isn't \Storage Card the root of the storage card? That's what I meant by root. I know the actual RAM is deleted.

Please, can you sum up what I need to do to get things working? Where to put what?

edit: By the way, I never said that Jlime works, I just didn't know which system might work. I won't mind loading Debian or whatever you got working for you, just tell me how...

Yes, you got it right.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-08-08 5:32 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Matrixcore fixed debian and will be sending that to me tonight. When I get that, I can help you set up a working kernel 2.4 version of Debian.

Until someone makes a 2.6 kernel, linux will not be able to work as well on the hpc, because 2.4's version of suspend is turning off the display and lowering the cpu frequency to 59mhz (still a power waster), instead of just keeping the ram going, like 2.6 will do, making linux a real CE alternative.

-Snappy, do you know if the apm (or acpi..like on 2.6) is better on netbsd? Because if that is the case I could install netbsd on my computer also, and figure out a way to make a hpcarm netbsd version that you can just extract to your handheld...and maybe a script that could let more OS's do the netbsd partitioning. (Linux, for example).

--It doesn't matter if you have a mips hpc, just tell me how long it lasts!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-08 6:35 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

ProgramSynthesiser - 2005-08-08 11:32 PM

Until someone makes a 2.6 kernel, linux will not be able to work as well on the hpc, because 2.4's version of suspend is turning off the display and lowering the cpu frequency to 59mhz (still a power waster), instead of just keeping the ram going, like 2.6 will do, making linux a real CE alternative.

why do you think 2.6 will do that? isn't it because of the flashrom?
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-08-08 6:39 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Better power management...
 Top of the page
GunBlade Page Icon Posted 2005-08-08 7:58 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Even if it is a power waster, I'm dying to replace Windows CE to Linux... So many options, so much flexability! When will you get the 2.4? (If not the 2.6)
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-08 8:04 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

ProgramSynthesiser - 2005-08-09 12:39 AM

Better power management...

my question was: why the better power management?
i think it's because of the flashrom.... not because of the 2.6 kernel

but i hope i'm wrong
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-08-08 9:32 PM
#
H/PC Elder

ProgramSynthesiser - 2005-08-08 3:32 PM

Matrixcore fixed debian and will be sending that to me tonight. When I get that, I can help you set up a working kernel 2.4 version of Debian.

-Snappy, do you know if the apm (or acpi..like on 2.6) is better on netbsd? Because if that is the case I could install netbsd on my computer also, and figure out a way to make a hpcarm netbsd version that you can just extract to your handheld...and maybe a script that could let more OS's do the netbsd partitioning. (Linux, for example).

--It doesn't matter if you have a mips hpc, just tell me how long it lasts!

I think the 3.0 release for NetBSD is better. In 2.0 is just as bad.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-08-08 10:01 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Well your hope is correct, you're wrong.

The 2.6 kernel has much better mobile power management, and for that matter, better desktop power management too. The flashrom would not have anything to do with it, as once linux is loaded, it is loaded.

EDIT: Oh, GunBlade, it looks like I am leaving my pc on all night so that matrixcore can upload the fixed version of Debian to my ftp server. I would have you download it, but I set up the anonymous upload as unviewable by others for various reasons.

But not to fear! I am dying to get Debian working on my 720 too, even the 2.4 kernel version! So right when I get it, I will see if I can compress it any more, and then put it on my public ftp server! I will link to it in this thread, but just as my web address is http://programsynth.homelinux.net , my ftp one is the same, but with ftp instead of http! (The server is still on my pc, so it is only up when my pc is on)

Edited by ProgramSynthesiser 2005-08-08 10:06 PM
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 54 - Executed queries : 28