x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Jornada 720 - Software Retrofit

ntware Page Icon Posted 2021-03-05 2:43 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Hi guys,

After so many discussions about Debian/Devuan on the Jornada, I decided to create this thread to share my experience with it. I've been using Devuan + Fluxbox + TigerVNC to retrofit the Jornada for more modern uses. I recorded a video where I demonstrate how this whole idea works. Hopefully it will be useful for you all. Here it is:

Thanks!
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-03-05 3:09 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Great! What we J720 owners can all use... I'll check it out and get back to you! Appreciate your efforts!

Joval
 Top of the page
wyrm Page Icon Posted 2021-03-05 7:35 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Wow, amazing! Thx for sharing!!
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-03-05 1:48 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

ntware: Great Idea! Nicely done video! Very informative and a great intro to all the concepts involved in "reviving/retrofitting" the J720. I'm impressed with your Linux skills. Thank you... I even learned some useful Linux commands (free, for example). Much appreciate the included links to Stefan's site (although the link seems to be down presently) and the WPA set up... looking forward to getting the wpa wifi working. (Thanks for including a view of your prism card ...I just located a similar one I have ). Soy muy divertido!

BTW, when using the RasPi as VNC server , it does render sound either through it's earphone plug (close proximity ) or via its Bluetooth to wireless speakers / earphones (at a distance). Works really well, too, as the RasPi 3.0 is very portable and runs hours on a small cell phone charging battery pack. And the Raspi makes for a cheap Linux (debian) server IMHO,

Keep up the good work!

Joval
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2021-03-05 4:47 PM
#
H/PC Elite

joval - 2021-03-05 8:48 AM
BTW, when using the RasPi as VNC server , it does render sound either through it's earphone plug (close proximity ) or via its Bluetooth to wireless speakers / earphones (at a distance).

I knew about that. My point is to find a way to make the Jornada playback sound on its internal speakers (or line out connector). For it to happen, we first need to fix the Linux audio driver for the Jornada and then figure out if sound can go through VNC as well.
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-03-05 4:49 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

joval - 2021-03-05 5:48 AM

BTW, when using the RasPi as VNC server , it does render sound either through it's earphone plug (close proximity ) or via its Bluetooth to wireless speakers / earphones (at a distance). Works really well, too, as the RasPi 3.0 is very portable and runs hours on a small cell phone charging battery pack. And the Raspi makes for a cheap Linux (debian) server IMHO,

Keep up the good work!

Joval

Hmmm, let me correct the above. Sound is rendered on the RasPi if VNC uses the slower X-forwarding mode. I finally figured how to connect (from command line) the RasPi Realvnc server to my Jornada in tigervnc client -listening mode and geometry 640x240, the screen refresh is snappy fast... but no sound even from the RasPi. Further the RasPi screen/session is different from the J720 screen, so sound rendering is likely separate as well. I think if I can get to mirrored sessions, sound may work through the RasPi.. I will explore this further and report back...I think there is a solution, but I need to learn VNC server options a wee bit better.

Anyway...nice to see ntware's youtube video now included above!

With gratitude,
Joval
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-03-05 5:34 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

ntware - 2021-03-05 8:47 AM

joval - 2021-03-05 8:48 AM
BTW, when using the RasPi as VNC server , it does render sound either through it's earphone plug (close proximity ) or via its Bluetooth to wireless speakers / earphones (at a distance).

I knew about that. My point is to find a way to make the Jornada playback sound on its internal speakers (or line out connector). For it to happen, we first need to fix the Linux audio driver for the Jornada and then figure out if sound can go through VNC as well.

ntware you are always so many steps ahead of me and often like now you post something while I'm writing or re-editing mine. So I just saw yours now on the sound issue. Munchausen sort of indicated the sound drivers for linux (Jlime?) aren't easily located. Knowing you, you will find them somewhere... and also,the devuan port with newer kernal may make it more of a possiblity! I guess it's even possible to write a new driver... but specifications may make it a challenge. Happy hunting... sound would be a big breakthrough, my friend!! Please let me know if I can help in anyway. We're all rooting for you. And Congratulations on your recent award/badge!

Joval
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-03-06 1:17 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

OK. another update>Using ntware's VNC connection (without X-forwarding and with his High frame rate for fast smooth videos) SOUND IS AVAILABLE through the RasPi desktop GUI via 1. av-headphone jack or 2. HDMI 3. or any connected bluetooth sound device (headphones or speaker or theater system)!

Basically you start the tigerVNCviewer on your Jornada 720 in listen mode (tigervncviewer -listen), then change to a different workspace.

Next, on the Raspi running RealVNCserver (icon on the taskbar upper right corner)... click on it and a new large VNC window appears. In the very top right corner is a small box for configuration=>click it and a drop down menu appears=>choose connect to a listening VNC viewer=> a small window appears => type in the Jornada 720 ip address and click connect. You now have sound and the Raspi desktop for browsing and playing music videos... as I am doing so myself now posting from my J720 using 640x480 standard mode option resolution.

This is very similar to ntware's approach except he starts the vncserver from the command line via ssh, whereas here I am using the RasPi desktop Gui Icon for VNC (which needs streamlining of sorts esp if going "headless" or no display on the RasPi). But if you want the speed and sound... this is what works until further refined and simplified.

I must say that with this increased frame rate a rapid scrolling it is quite feasible to use the Jornada 720 to surf the net and save webpages for offline viewing. It does a good job of rendering SpaceX's latest Starship landing for example, too. With X-forwarding previously things were rather suboptimal... too slow IMO.

Next I'll see if I can set up a custom 640x240 resolution option as he has done... but things are definitely faster rendering with his breakthrough approach of avoiding X-forwarding. Really improves speed!! But then he is quite the wizard! ( I need to get the WPA wifi set up working too.. glad he included a link to it).

Joval

Edited by joval 2021-03-06 1:39 AM
 Top of the page
jorel101 Page Icon Posted 2021-03-06 3:45 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Well done!
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-03-06 9:02 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

The video is very cool!
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2021-07-08 4:22 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Hi ntware,

Just watched your excellent video! Thanks for sharing it.

Regarding your Linksys WPC11 wifi card, what version is it?

Looking online, there were several versions released......should say somewhere on the card ver. 1, ver. 2.5, ver. 3, etc.....

Also, what is purpose of the script you mention?

Also, are all the keys on the keyboard working OK?

Thanks,

Mark

Top of the page
fantablium Page Icon Posted 2021-07-08 7:56 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Great video! Thanks for sharing, shows there is still potential for these devices!
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 9