x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

How do you Activesync?

How do you Activesync?
OptionResults
I use an XP computer only1 Votes - [11.11%]
1 Votes [11.11%]
I use virtual mode only on a non-XP computer1 Votes - [11.11%]
1 Votes [11.11%]
I have a separate computer, i.e. desktop, laptop, thin client2 Votes - [22.22%]
2 Votes [22.22%]
I don't need to sync as most of my files are in cab format5 Votes - [55.56%]
5 Votes [55.56%]
I dual boot to either XP or Win 7 or newer0 Votes - [0%]

Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2021-03-31 7:37 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

It's a damn shame Microsoft ever dropped Activesync compatibility from their operating systems as they evolved. Of course, with the demise of CE based handhelds...it wasn't really an issue...except for those of us who still play with them.

I can hardly believe it has been 25 years nearly since H/PC Explorer came out...version 1.0 of the Activesync software.

So I was just curious...in this day and age...how do you synch your software to run on your handhelds?

I actually use two methods myself. On my desktop running Windows 10, I use Oracle Virtualbox with XP installed. I use a pci-e serial card recognized under Windows 10 that is recognized by the virtualpc environment. I also use an Actisys IRDA via USB for those devices that are non-serial. Ironically, the Actisys UL2000 doesn't have drivers for Windows 10 so it doesn't work with it.

The whole concept works okay...but is not as convenient as a designated XP computer.

So as my mainstay, I use an HP 5740 Thin Client (inexpensive to buy) which has XP as its embedded OS. I like that client because it has both built in serial and USB ports...and it is actually faster than using the virtual mode on my desktop. It is just hanging on the wall with my Mobilepro serial sync cables hanging off of it. I use a VGA switch box to select the monitor input from either my desktop or thin client. Guess I could have just used another monitor...but my workspace is already overcrowded as it is.

(vgaswitch.jpg)

(T5740.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments vgaswitch.jpg (108KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments T5740.jpg (216KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
fantablium Page Icon Posted 2021-03-31 7:45 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

I sync my J728 with windows 10 and outlook 2007, works great but no file conversion so use softmaker office
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2021-03-31 9:13 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
I do the same as fantablum, except with Outlook 2010. Would very much like to keep my CE 2.0 devices synced, but firing up one of my old XP devices is a hassle. Your thin client setup is way cool.

Hey, Rich, for yucks, I bought an ActiSys IR224UN, with the correct serial number (earlier models wouldn't work w/ Win10). I still can't get it running on Win10. You ever used that model on any OS?

Jake
 Top of the page
Mjolnir Page Icon Posted 2021-03-31 9:15 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I've got an old Windows ME desktop sitting in the 'junk' room I boot up and use occasionally.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2021-03-31 9:39 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I'm the only one who's checked a choice in the poll thus far. I have two XP PCs, one running ActiveSync 3.8 and the other running 4.5 to sync a few Windows Mobile 5 and newer Pocket PCs that I have plus my Micros MC40N0 with Windows Embedded Compact 7. Both PCs have Outlook 2003. I've had connection and synchronization issues with Windows Mobile Device Center on my Windows 7 PC, and using ActiveSync 4.5 instead eliminated those issues. I use a couple of core CE 5 devices to sync PIM data from the PC with 3.8 to the one with 4.5.

A long time ago I used H/PC Explorer 1.1 to sync my Casio A-10 and Compaq C140 over IrDA on a Toshiba Libretto 110CT with Windows 98 (the only PC I've ever had with a built-in IR port).
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-04-01 12:23 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

I was too young to really notice the benefit of syncing on Windows Mobile and Windows CE devices, but after growing older, I realized it was essential for syncing tasks etc. (I use Google Calendar now mostly though)

I've only synced a couple times with my Handheld PC, but every time it hard resetted, it became a new device and that was annoying.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2021-04-01 2:55 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

That's what backup is for, stingraze.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-04-01 5:38 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

lol. True... so true.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2021-04-01 2:00 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Jakeā€¦ never hsed that particular adapter. Not sure if there is a difference between HPSir and raw data Sir. But it seems like it should work.

It would be interesting to try an OBEX file transfer using it.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2021-04-01 5:05 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
http://www.actisys.com/ir224un-mob.html

Rich, it says it's "PC or embedded USB to Raw SIR Serial Adapter, IrPHY Only" I'm not well-versed here. Does "Raw" and "IrPHY Only" make me SOL, in terms of transfers, using it in Activesync? If so, what would people use it for?

Jake
 Top of the page
cuteascii1 Page Icon Posted 2021-04-02 5:21 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I have a Windows XP VM that I usually use, but I did recently get ahold of a Dell Latitude D630 running Windows XP.
 Top of the page
H2OGuru Page Icon Posted 2021-04-02 8:35 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I no longer sync as my employer has made it nearly (likely completely) impossible for me to connect to our exchange accounts. From their view, the hack attacks keep coming so security is at an all time high. So I use the phone for calendar stuff and the HPC for writing on the go.

Best!

HG
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.296 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 17