x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Easiest way to install packages in Jlime without internet?

null1024 Page Icon Posted 2021-04-19 3:16 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Hi! I'm trying to get a useful Jlime install going on my Jornada 680.

Really, I mostly just want to be able to install a few things like Python and GCC with some libraries so I can try compiling a few (small -- an SH3 and 16MB RAM isn't going to set the world on fire with compiling anything) programs.
Ideally, I could connect the Jornada to the internet and punch in the repository address, except I have no way to connect the machine.

What would be the best way of getting packages (and more importantly, all the dependencies) installed on it?
 Top of the page
koshman Page Icon Posted 2021-05-07 3:56 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi,

Do you have it already installed with the basic stuff included in the JLime userland?
 Top of the page
_dev-null Page Icon Posted 2021-05-07 7:00 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

You can copy everything to a CF card and install the packages manually!

Stefan
 Top of the page
null1024 Page Icon Posted 2021-05-09 3:24 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

koshman - 2021-05-07 11:56 AM

Hi,

Do you have it already installed with the basic stuff included in the JLime userland?

I have it installed.

_dev-null - 2021-05-07 3:00 PM

You can copy everything to a CF card and install the packages manually!

Stefan

The real issue I was wondering was figuring all the dependencies.
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2021-05-09 4:11 AM
#
H/PC Elite

In one of the Jornada Linux discussions here, someone said something about using qemu to install packages. The idea is to mount the CF on your PC, and then use qemu to bootstrap into your CF filesystem emulating your particular CPU (arm, sh3, etc) and finally evoke apt-get from your there to install the packages. Once you figure out the environment I believe this might be the fastest and easiest way to install stuff

Edited by ntware 2021-05-09 4:12 AM
 Top of the page
platform88 Page Icon Posted 2022-05-11 2:26 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

A 680e here. I have tried copying the full repository to the CF card and changing the repository links in /etc/opkg.conf to reference the file:/// locations. It works fine on the host PC when running the rootfs in a container with a qemu+systemd-nspawn combo (as helpfully described by Timo in https://github.com/timob0/jornada-config) and I can run opkg update (the signature check messages can be ignored) and install packages that way with opkg install.

However running opkg install on the device is super slow - it takes a few hours to install vim. According to "top", the RAM usage for the opkg process is slowly creeping to ~210% over hours with the CPU sitting between 10%-20%. It bites into swap a lot too. I am not sure what's causing the slowness at this point.

Edited by platform88 2022-05-11 2:27 AM
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2022-05-11 11:57 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Package managers use a lot of RAM because they need to build the dependency tree among other things, and since these devices don’t have much, they must use swap, which is ridiculously slow on a CF card in an external bus. It is not a CPU problem, it is a system’s memory problem
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 12