x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Another HPCesque device? Pinephone + upcoming official keyboard

1 2 3 4 5
Jake Page Icon Posted 2021-05-15 5:28 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Just saw that Ubuntu Touch released new update, says it runs on the PinePhone. Dunno what software is available on UT, though.

Jake
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-05-16 2:27 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Update about the keyboard:

"In other good news, the PinePhone keyboard internal review units have been assembled and shipped out to a select lucky few, including myself. Late last month I shared a handful of pictures alongside a video of an engineering prototype, which lacked some of the polish seen on the review units. As you can see from the pictures below, the keyboard has now taken on its final form."

https://www.pine64.org/2021/05/15/may-update-connection-established/
 Top of the page
robertojones Page Icon Posted 2021-05-16 11:28 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

stingraze - 2021-05-16 2:27 AM
Update about the keyboard:

This is great news, I didn't think it would be moving along this quickly. I'm especially impressed that they've gone for laser-etched keycaps - Hopefully the rest of the keyboard case is as hard-wearing.

Looking at the case design it appears that the only connection between the Pinephone and base is the i2c (plus power I assume) - The Pinephone's USB-C port appears to be open via a slot in the case. I'm guessing then that the USB-C port on the keyboard part of the case is for charging only and that any peripherals will need to be connected to the Pinephone in the 'lid' part of the case - Not the most elegant solution perhaps but it clearly makes things simpler and more compact (and hopefully cheaper).

Estimating from the Pinephone I'm getting the dimensions of the complete 'PDA' at about 162 x 80 x 25mm - So a little smaller than a Jornada 720 in every direction.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2021-05-16 9:29 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Robert, did PP give you an ETA for your phone?

Jake
 Top of the page
robertojones Page Icon Posted 2021-05-17 10:29 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Jake - 2021-05-16 9:29 PM

Robert, did PP give you an ETA for your phone?

Jake

No sadly, the only communication I've had from them was asking me to confirm my address (apparently DHL wouldn't allow my postal town as the town for some reason), which I've done 11 days ago and not heard anything since. I'm slightly concerned my order's been put on hold or something...
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2021-05-18 3:20 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

When I poke around their forums, I don't see people complaining of malfeasance. I imagine PP will get the phone to you in the end, esp if they've already looked into your address. The adventures of a start-up company...

Jake
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-05-18 10:55 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

I agree, I think it's going to be okay. Especially since PayPal is used by Pine64.

I ship some stuff overseas for goods sold on eBay, but generally the global logistics have a lot of delay since airplanes are very limited in number.

Edited by stingraze 2021-05-18 10:56 PM
 Top of the page
robertojones Page Icon Posted 2021-05-18 11:45 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Jake - 2021-05-18 3:20 PM

When I poke around their forums, I don't see people complaining of malfeasance. I imagine PP will get the phone to you in the end, esp if they've already looked into your address. The adventures of a start-up company...

Jake

I think I gave the wrong impression here - I wouldn't want to suggest there's anything nefarious going on, just that with them being quite a small operation, something like an issue with an address might be enough to derail my order. I didn't word it very well! Certainly when I ordered other bits from the Pine store they sent them out without any issues.

I'm probably just getting a bit impatient because I'm really keen to start experimenting with the Pinephone...
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-05-21 5:17 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Top of the page
robertojones Page Icon Posted 2021-05-25 8:51 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

stingraze - 2021-05-21 5:17 PM

More info on the impression of the keyboard.

https://pineguild.com/pinephone-keyboard-first-impression-is-very-po...

Thanks stingraze - You always seem to find the latest news!

There's also a video linked from that article showing the keyboard connected to a Pinephone (not working properly yet, but still interesting). https://pineguild.com/the-pinephone-keyboard-has-now-taken-on-its-final-form/

In other news, I've had an email to let me know my Pinephone has been shipped - So looks like I did just need to be a little more patient! No time estimate yet but I'll keep checking...

Edited by robertojones 2021-05-25 9:24 PM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2021-05-25 9:21 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Fantastic. Very excited to hear your impressions. As for keyboard, when do they think it'll be for sale?

Jake
 Top of the page
robertojones Page Icon Posted 2021-05-26 10:05 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Jake - 2021-05-25 9:21 PM

Fantastic. Very excited to hear your impressions. As for keyboard, when do they think it'll be for sale?

Jake

I don't there's any real timescale given at the moment - Given that there's a fair bit left to do I'd assume at least a couple of months - Happy to be wrong though!

I got an update on my Pinephone earlier today - It's due to arrive on 1st June. I'll do a mini-review when it does, just in this thread - I think it's a bit too far from being a HPC to go in the reviews section of the site. Installed in the keyboard case perhaps it would qualify?

Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2021-05-27 7:01 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I wrote up the GPD MicroPC in the review section, if only to explore whether it was a Handheld.

I think your perspective would draw keen interest.

Jake
 Top of the page
robertojones Page Icon Posted 2021-06-03 11:03 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Nothing to update here yet sadly...

My Pinephone appears to be stuck at customs here in the UK, DHL's tracking gives the latest update as 'clearance event' on Sunday and that I should contact customer service. Their customer service phone number doesn't appear to work and I've requested support via their web form on Tuesday, to which I have so far received an acknowledgement but no response to my query. So I know it's in the country but no idea what's holding it up... Getting a bit fed up now - I'm hoping they're just trying to figure out the duty on it.

Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2021-06-04 3:11 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Yeah, I had a run-in with British customs earlier this year when I sent back my Cosmo Communicator. Planet Computer "suggested" that I list its value at $75USD but I put down $300USD for insurance purposes and got banged $75USD import tax, all for a broken phone.

PinePhone may have overvalued the phone in the eyes of the British postal services.

I prefer USPS, where they simply lose your packages at no additional charge.

Jake
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4 5
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.265 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 9