x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

"Gaming" H-Bomb: Create J720 WeekDayClock

1 2 3
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-05-01 12:31 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

About 2 years ago C:Amie introduced me to the Jornada HTML editor H-Bomb. I have found it a great fun way to learn/practice HTML 4,0 and CSS coding since the J720's Pocket Internet Exlorer 4 easily renders the web page.

Whereas others may bide their time playing games like solitaire, or angry birds, etc, I enjoy making up various simple web designs that show off what the Jornada can do and be of use.

Now, PIE 4, the J720 Browser, was created during the early "Browser Wars" when interactive web page scripting was at its point of conception, at most embryonic. Netscape browser gave birth to what became ultimately Javascript.

This led Microsoft to birth its own web scripting language named vbscript, which is only what the J720 PIE4 browser can render. Many would agree that the ruthless tactics of the Bill Gates/Microsoft monopoly relatively quickly killed off Netscape, but oddly Javascript mushroomed to its dominant position today, whereas vbscript had a slow painful death. This may explain in part why a certain Mr Gates now seeks to be seen rather saintly curing the ills of the world... his quest is to better his formerly, some would say, Dr. Evil image. But I digress...

Anyway, it has taken me some time to learn enough coding, etc to actually write vbscripts that run on the J720. This is long after learning to write the same thing in javascript. Thus, I now have created a vbscript DateTime clock webpage for the J720 that is fully customizable...showing minutes only or minutes and seconds, it works best fullscreen on the FTX browser (which runs off the PIE4 core).

So, dust off your idle Jornada and at least use as a DateTime clock...and try out H-Bomb to change its look and function and learn a bit more HTML, CSS.

Joval

Edited by joval 2021-05-01 12:44 AM

Attachments
----------------
Attachments weekdayclockSeconds.htm (1KB - 6 downloads)
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-05-01 1:19 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Screen shots
Minute clock html webpage.

Of course you must set accurate date and time on the Jornada "world clock"

FTX browser in full screen mode (ctrl M) works best if you want to view seconds...no flicker with 1 second refresh rate...(uncheck the tab bar in view).

Enjoy.....oooh--ha--ha

Joval (aka Dr Hevil)

Edited by joval 2021-05-01 1:31 AM

(WeekDayMinutesClock.bmp)

(DateDaySeconds.bmp)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments WeekDayMinutesClock.bmp (450KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments weekdayclockMinutes.htm (1KB - 6 downloads)
Attachments DateDaySeconds.bmp (450KB - 2 downloads)
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2021-05-01 1:24 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I like the layout in that last post. Is that display 24-hour time?
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-05-01 1:41 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

CE Geek - 2021-04-30 5:24 PM

I like the layout in that last post. Is that display 24-hour time?

It's set as 12 hour clock but you can easily change to 24 hour using H-bomb to change the statement" h=h -12" to "h=h" (delete the -12 part)

Top of the page
Karpour Page Icon Posted 2021-05-02 11:26 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

Wow, I never even considered that you could embed other script languages than Javascript in HTML! I mean I know you define which language, but I didn't know that browsers actually implemented support for VBScript!
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-05-03 12:42 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Karpour - 2021-05-02 3:26 AM

Wow, I never even considered that you could embed other script languages than Javascript in HTML! I mean I know you define which language, but I didn't know that browsers actually implemented support for VBScript!

Yes but only rendered on Microsoft Internet Explorer up to IE10. No longer supported in IE 11 or Edge...clicking on the above weekday clock htm files won't run/render the script on those or other browsers. Works quite well if copied to the J720. Sort of a dead scripting language now regarding browsers...although very similar to early javascript in many ways.

The weekdayclockseconds.htm file above is auto-refreshing every second (.95 seconds to compensate for internal processing delay). So it's quite cpu intensive. The weekdayclockminutes.htm file only refreshing every minute so doesn't consume much cpu performance.

Here is the code for the "seconds clock." Just open it in any text editor and you can readily change the CSS colors, font sizes, etc and refresh rate. For example, you can write out the entire name of the months instead of the abbreviated month name, or you can abreviate the weekday name, etc. I'll post the "minutes clock" code later which is really the same except lower refresh to 60 seconds and delete the seconds component.

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>J720 DateTimes</TITLE>
<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0.95">
</HEAD>
<BODY bgcolor="teal">
<h1 style="color:yellow; font-size:400%; border:thick solid red; text-align:center; background-color:blue ">

<script type="text/vbscript">

dim h
h= Hour(time)

if Hour(time) > 12 then
h = h -12
elseif Hour(time) = 0 then
h = 12
elseif Hour(time) < 13 then
h = h
end if

dim m
m = Minute(time)
if Minute(time) <10 then
m= 0 & m
else
m= m
end if

dim s
s = Second(time)
if Second(time) <10 then
s= 0 & s
else
s= s
end if

document.write("" &h & ":" & m &":" & s )

</script>
</h1>
<h1 style="color:yellow; font-size:200%; border:5px solid red; text-align:center; background-color:blue ">

<script type ="text/vbscript">
dim W
W = WeekDay(date)
if W = 1 then
document.write ("Sunday,")
elseif W = 2 then
document.write ("Monday,")
elseif W = 3 then
document.write ("Tuesday,")
elseif W = 4 then
document.write ("Wednesday,")
elseif W = 5 then
document.write ("Thursday,")
elseif W = 6 then
document.write ("Friday,")
elseif W = 7 then
document.write ("Saturday,")
end if

</script>

<script type="text/vbscript">
dim M
M = Month(date)

if M = 1 then
document.write("Jan")
elseif M = 2 then
document.write("Feb")
elseif M = 3 then
document.write("March")
elseif M = 4 then
document.write("April")
elseif M = 5 then
document.write("May")
elseif M = 6 then
document.write("June")
elseif M = 7 then
document.write("July")
elseif M = 8 then
document.write("August")
elseif M = 9 then
document.write("Sept")
elseif M = 10 then
document.write("Oct")
elseif M = 11 then
document.write("Nov")
elseif M = 12 then
document.write("Dec")
end if
document.write(" " & Day(date))

</script>

</h1>
</BODY>
</HTML>

Play around with it in h-bomb and PIE4...although full screen works only with FTXbrowser. Set text size to largest on browser, hide tab bar, etc.

Joval

Edited by joval 2021-05-03 1:05 PM
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-05-03 2:22 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

C:Amie pointed out in the past my American bias regarding time/date format. Sort of a microSDCardAgression perhaps, but I think he was just trying to save my skin from the angry mob. You know who you are.

Just change the order of things by cutting and pasting the individual scripts for weekday/day/month in the order you prefer. I think I may simplify the code here in the future but this will do for now.

Joval
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-05-04 4:20 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

So Bill Gates is getting divorced...hope it wasn't my comment above that caused it. Just like vbscript... the thrill is gone... they can no longer grow together

If you want the time expressed with hour:minute:seconds then simple coding as : document.write( Time) will suffice , so no need to divide it into its components. But if hours:minutes are all you want to see the script needs to divided into hour and minute components. Screenshots will demo this distinction when I get around to contrasting coding variants.

I know this is lightweight coding stuff...fluff I suppose...oh well, but it sure looks good on the J720 IMHO.
Joval

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-05-04 2:00 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Well quite! According to Bloomberg the other morning, it was the 3rd day of the 31st month. I was beside myself thinking I'd woken up in a crazy dimension with 31 months until I came around enough to remember thay you mid-endian weirdo's exist
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-05-06 2:22 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Karpour - 2021-05-02 3:26 AM

Originally it was Netscape Navigator browser which was by far the most popular and created the first interactive webpages by introducing MOCA/LIVE scripting which was eventually given the catchy name of Javascript, as "Java" was a popular label maybe due in part to the completely unrelated full featured Java programming language (multiplatform...now owned by Oracle, and often required to run various programs).

It wasn't enough that Microsoft essentially dominated the operating system market ( vs. say IBM's OS/2), fearing being left out of the new potentially lucrative Internet market, countered / (reverse engineered)with its version named Jscript and created it's own browser, Internet Explorer which for a time was very similar, you know everything had to be proprietary for Microsoft. So you may see some references to Jscript. At the same time Microsoft introduced and promoted vbscript in hopes of becoming the adopted standard and forcing all others to follow suit. Because of this disparity in webpage scripting, the public and webpage designers suffered as one browser might render the webpage and the other would fail, and vice versa. Eventually the European Computer Manufacturers Association adopted javascript as THE standard, the first version officially named ECMA 1.0 and so Microsoft lost out but insisted on including vbscript (and javascript) functionality in all its versions of Internet Explorer up to IE10, but dropped support with IE11.

At the time of the browser wars, Netscape's major product and source of income was its very popular Netscape browser which as I recall sold for about $45. Soon Microsoft Windows, which sold for $100 or so or came preloaded on nearly every new pc, came with a "free" copy of Internet Explorer. Furthermore, some would say taking a page out of history from JD Rockefeller and his Standard Oil Monopoly tactics, Gates saw to it that every PC magazine ($5 or less) included a free cdrom containing his IE browser... thus essentially destroying Netscape's primary source of income and destroying their position in the marketplace. Later anti- trust suits against Microsoft by Europeans and later the US forced Gates to include other browsers on new PC's. But that was too little too late. Anyway, that's how some of us remember it... and perhaps why javascript became the favored web scripting language.

So the Jornada 720 circa 2000 with PocketIE 4 renders vbscript but not javascript, whereas the MobilePro 900c circa 2004 with IE 6 renders javascript and not vbscript!

Joval

Edited by joval 2021-05-06 3:12 AM
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-05-06 1:40 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

some simple variations... These aren't my finest examples by any means but give a rough idea of possibilities.

Edited by joval 2021-05-06 1:51 PM

(rbg.bmp)

(WBG.bmp)

(ybt.bmp)

(BigTime.bmp)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments rbg.bmp (450KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments WBG.bmp (450KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments ybt.bmp (450KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments BigTime.bmp (450KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-05-07 12:48 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Now border and font-family modification examples... really its fun and simple stuff for you NOOBies to do/try. And you'll be learning introductory "coding" of HTML and CSS (which is universally applicable to all web page design)... all while just goofing around. (Oops I just noticed date month is incorrect here--vbscript off by a month, will fix)!

These are just screen shots... will upload actual vbscript/html later...it anyone interested.

Edited by joval 2021-05-07 1:01 PM

(j7crinoutsans.bmp)

(j7crimoutroman.bmp)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments j7crinoutsans.bmp (450KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments j7crimoutroman.bmp (450KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-05-07 1:36 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

joval - 2021-05-07 9:48 PM
Oops I just noticed date month is incorrect here--vbscript off by a month, will fix)!

You must have made a time machine as well
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-05-07 6:26 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Looks like you are slightly over bounds as you have vertical scroll bars. Can you nip them in the bug using

html, body { margin: 0; padding: 0; overflow: hidden; }
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-05-07 7:39 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

stingraze - 2021-05-07 5:36 AM

joval - 2021-05-07 9:48 PM
Oops I just noticed date month is incorrect here--vbscript off by a month, will fix)!

You must have made a time machine as well

Last thing I remember, someone said,"Just step into this innocent-looking phone booth... nothing to fear here..."

OR, the other option:

As the vault opened, Sheldon appeared from inside as a holographic image: "The good news is the Galactic Foundation will survive on Trantor in a parallel universe , however, Time will be warped by exactly one month. Set your watches accordingly."

Well, that is what happens when you mistakenly use Weekday numbers 1-7 (Friday =6) in place of Month numbers 1-12 (6=June). Also, seems that CSS background color "Gold" might be more accurately labeled "Urine Trouble."

Joval

Edited by joval 2021-05-07 7:47 PM

(TimeMachine.bmp)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments TimeMachine.bmp (450KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 73 - Executed queries : 13