x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Which drivers are in use?

logout Page Icon Posted 2021-05-05 1:53 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello,

Tried to search through forum posts, didn't find anything, but I'm new here, so please pardon my possible misbehavior:

Is there any way to see which driver is used for the device plugged into the PC Card slot? I'm trying to make Sitecom Fast Ethernet PC Card work with my Jornada 720, the card is recognized (the system doesn't ask for driver name), but Jornada seems not to do the DHCP thing with my router. Link LED on the dongle is on, activity is off though, so I wanted to set up my IP address manually, but even though I entered the IP address on every driver in Control Panel-> Network, the communication still doesn't work.

I presume that the card is NE2000 compliant (even though being 10/100 Mbps), but is there any way to verify?

Thanks.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-05-05 3:17 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Most of the images I can see on searching for that are returning CardBus adapters, which will not work - https://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/h/0037.asp

So check that before proceeding.
 Top of the page
logout Page Icon Posted 2021-05-05 3:36 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

This is a plain old 16bit PC Card, it works even in the good old Amiga 1200 and I was pretty happy when I found it on a local flea market ten years ago for something like $2 - because I didn't see a 100mbps 16bit card before and after that.

The card is working in an old PC notebook with a PC Card slot, in Linux, I'm able to get IP with it and connect online. Jornada powers the card on, apparently the card recognizes the link as being 100mbps because it switches from 10mbit LED to 100mbit LED and then nothing happens. But Windows CE don't ask for driver name, which - if I'm not mistaken - means, that it recognized the card.

(sitecom.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments sitecom.jpg (96KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
logout Page Icon Posted 2021-05-05 3:52 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I discovered two things:

1. When I hard-reset my Jornada and connect the card for the first time, it displays the IP settings window which has NE2000 in the title - it remembers everything after that, so it's better not to forget the driver in use.

2. If you forget, then the network driver in use is displayed in vxUtil under the Info button.

But still - no luck. The card has just a self-assigned IP address and even if I enter the address manually, it doesn't work. I will probably have some new entry in the HCL, this time not a positive one :-)

Edited by logout 2021-05-05 4:32 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-05-05 4:24 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Is there a specific model number, FFC data etc on the back?

Unfortunately a lot of NE2000 cards just won't work with the generic CE driver
 Top of the page
logout Page Icon Posted 2021-05-05 4:32 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Part number: SITE112010 - not much info it can be found about it online, except for one forum, where is mentioned, that it's this card:

http://www.sitecomlearningcentre.com/products/pc-002v1001/network-p...
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2021-05-05 9:58 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Went to the old Sitecom siteā€¦ nothing ever mentioned about support for Win CE. Wonder if you installed the WL-100 drivers if they would work as many if the old Sitecom 16bit pci adapters used the x86 version of those.

x86 drivers attached.

What really confuses me is under the specs area it mentions 32bit cardbus support and then 3 lines further it mentions 16bit networking support. I'm assuming these are 2 different things?

Also the site/learning center you mentioned above is for the newer card revision. Original was around 2004/2005 and the card later had some firmware updates around 2008.

(sitecom_PC-002.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments sitecom_PC-002.jpg (300KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments DriverEasy_Setup.exe (5073KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
logout Page Icon Posted 2021-05-21 1:29 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

As I don't like my topics unfinished, here is some conclusion, sadly with the result that the card will most probably not work in WinCE:

After plugging the PC Card into a notebook with Linux, I discovered that the card has the Asix AX88790 ethernet chipset. To my surprise, I found a Japanese blog about running Linux on Compaq iPaq, where the author has a CF card with the same chipset: http://solarisintel.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/2009/08/cf-100tx-window....
Then I managed to get the driver, which is stated as working on Windows CE 2.0 and above, including PocketPC - but sadly the Jornada doesn't want to do anything with the card using this driver, it's always choosing the NE2000 which doesn't work.

If there is no way how to force a driver to be used, then the card is probably dead for Windows CE usage. But it was close, so close!

Edited by logout 2021-05-21 1:29 PM
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-05-21 5:04 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Are any lights on the dongle blinking or lit up?? Your problem may be that you don't have the card AND the Jornada set up properly... which is a little like a nightmare with voodoo mixed in. I have covered this before, it's best to set static ip address, etc.

That is an NEC 2000 compatible card (and not cardbus which has the gold dimples on the leading edge). That's why that driver keeps showing up!

Let me find that post and point you in the right direction. Hold on...

Here it is : https://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=20076&st...

Look for my post half way down first page... same applies to Ethernet as WiFi.

Be certain to change DEVICE NAME in control panel ==> Communication properties from "Handheld_PC" to something else.

Joval

Edited by joval 2021-05-21 5:56 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-05-22 12:21 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

There is a way to do it, you need to stick the device hardware ID into the hardware ID section in the registry (under HKLM). It has been so many years since I've been in the CE registry, I cannot be more specific than that right now.

Do we have this driver somewhere in the HCL? If not, I would be interested in getting hold of it. Could you also submit the device to the HCL please like you have the modem. Thanks
 Top of the page
Karpour Page Icon Posted 2022-01-06 2:34 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

logout, could you share the driver for CE2.0 you found? I just found one of these in my parts bin!
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.327 - Cached queries : 34 - Executed queries : 47