x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Does "Eye Candy" reduce "Cerebral Bandwith"

joval Page Icon Posted 2021-05-19 4:57 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Hi All!

Just wondering/wandering ...does eye candy inherently reduce our ability to think?

All those zillions of colours, with zillions of grey scales/intensity/contrast levels, super smooth high detail fonts...with mega-high pixel counts/ultra-high screen resolution levels... seems a "no brainer" that from the "information theory" perspective that processing all these things visually would consume cranial mega-resources.

Like comparing the ease of penning all these lofty insights of mine ( and/or senseless droning gibberish) on my low resolution Jornada 720 on which I can spend hours pontificating, self-helping, often misleading, or otherwise causing consternation to all the HPCFactor masses ... yes, all that VERSUS the relative paucity of anything profound and life-changing written on my Samsung tablet with its Hi-res, lusciously colored, mega-bright screen which often seems to cause a "deer in the headlights" effect. Is this another example of/ variation on the: "stunningly Beautiful" but "not the brightest lightbulb in the socket " eternal/universal "trade off"or compromise we all face everyday due to our finite cerebral or conscious bandwith?? Just saying... speculating...another bold endorsement of the retro HPC??

What say you???

joval

posted from my J720/Devuan/Ethernet/RasPi "contraption"

Edited by joval 2021-05-19 5:22 PM
 Top of the page
fantablium Page Icon Posted 2021-05-19 7:26 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

An interesting question, certainly I work much better on HPC than a laptop I think not so much because of the lack of pixels as much as the lack of notifications!

Somehow the limited functionality also helps with focus I think...
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-05-19 10:31 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

fantablium - 2021-05-19 11:26 AM

An interesting question, certainly I work much better on HPC than a laptop I think not so much because of the lack of pixels as much as the lack of notifications!

Somehow the limited functionality also helps with focus I think...

Well yes notifications are like cpu interrupts... they stop the thread execution, most of the time you can disable them. Yet, look at this site: when posting, the emoticons are carrying on with all sorts of distracting antics... isn't the red faced one bitching at ME?!! You can probably kill it by turning browser scripting off.

What I posit is that the subtle almost subliminal influences of TMI (data, var=d)reduce our RAM, eat into our CPU processing, etc... restricting speed and depth of thought/conscious awareness (var = c) and understanding ( of cause and effect)... some Australian mathematician might call it "Biden's Law of Limits :
the limit of x, as x(d) approaches infinity,
Then B(c) == 0 and Boolean = true
measured in units called 'Biden's, much as capacitance is measured in Faradays.

Thus an average human sleeping might have a Biden score of 10B, for example, or if in a coma 0.9B. Well, I think you get the picture. More samples will follow... you can be assured of that!
Joval

Edited by joval 2021-05-19 10:58 PM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.125 - Cached queries : 59 - Executed queries : 10