x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

NEC MP900 battery status

1 2
koshman Page Icon Posted 2021-05-20 10:00 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi all,

I recently installed JLime Henchman on MP900. Generally it works fine but I have no idea how to get battery status. Apmd seems to be installed in the default IceWM userland but doesn't return any useful info - shows battery at -1%.
I guess this does not necessarily work exactly the same as on J720 even though the CPUs themselves are binary compatible (at least armv5 back to v4) power management may be implemented totally differently?
Any tips? I would also be interested in any tips and tricks for using Linux on MP900 - getting a more up to date kernel running, cross compiling for the MP900 on PC etc.

Thanks!
Radim
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-05-21 2:28 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Hi Radim!

IMHO, you would be better off upgrading your MP900 (with the WinCE3.0) to what is essentially the MP900c which runs on WinCE.Net 4.2!

This is easy to do with a small CF card with the upgraded ROM firmware... highly recommend. Even better is to upgrade to the Cmonex 4.2 ROM as she did a super job many years ago creating a custom ROM with lots of great programs and utilities. If you install Opera mini5 and use a cheap ebay $7 Ambicom WL54 wifi card (or Netgear ma401) you can surf the internet including nearly all Https:// sites using much more secure WPA (than the unsecure WEP WinCE 3.0 is limited to)

You need to be certain your MP900 has the correct Bootloader version before flashing the CMonex 4.2 ROM though!!! Upgrading the bootloader is also easy. You can start by navigating to Control Panel => NEC Firmware info: Bootloader is listed-- It has to be 4.10 before flashing the new CMonex ROM. HPCFactor has the bootloader and stock MP900 ROM(NOT recommended as it is a bare bones ROM, IMO) in the downloads section. The CMonex ROM upgrade is in a separate special repository as I recall (Jlime files are located there too) at http://repository.hpcfactor.com.

I can walk you through all this to save you time, frustration, even moments of fear should your screen turn black on reboot. There are a few tricks that can save you time and trouble. Again must start with BOOTLOADER 4.10 before custom ROM flashing. I have one of several MP900 still running WinCE 3.0 so I will upgrade its bootloader and then the ROM and give you all the details, if you are interested.

You will be pleased with the upgrade and should still be able to boot into JLime I believe Dual boot should be possible.

Grand Poobah and HPC:Factor/Member Emeritus Rich Hawley is an expert on building custom ROMs and wrote a tutorial years ago on this. Perhaps he will chime in on this ( cicadas willing ).

Welcome aboard!

joval

posted from my Jornada/Devuan/RasPi "hybrid contraption"

Edited by joval 2021-05-21 3:02 PM
 Top of the page
koshman Page Icon Posted 2021-05-22 9:24 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi joval,

Thanks for the tips. I actually already updated to CMONEX 2.0 ROM before having a go at Linux.
I really am only interested in Linux at this point. WinCE works pretty well for what it is on this device but I have a dream of a nice portable Linux terminal. I would like it to be this NEC specifically because it has one of the best keyboards I've ever laid my fingers on.

Btw as a separate question does WinCE 4.2 support WPA2?

Thanks.
Radim
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-05-23 3:21 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

koshman - 2021-05-22 1:24 PM

Hi joval,

Thanks for the tips. I actually already updated to CMONEX 2.0 ROM before having a go at Linux.
I really am only interested in Linux at this point. WinCE works pretty well for what it is on this device but I have a dream of a nice portable Linux terminal. I would like it to be this NEC specifically because it has one of the best keyboards I've ever laid my fingers on.

Btw as a separate question does WinCE 4.2 support WPA2?

Thanks.
Radim

I agree with you about the keyboard being the best ever... almost a sensuous
experience,IMO haha.

ok so you know about the CMonex 4.2 Rom, good. I don't know a thing about Jlime on MP900... does it boot directly from ROM or through/ on top of WinCE.Net??? Do you have a reference where I could learn more?

Jornada 720 IMO at 200mhz lacks the firepower to surf the net, thus I am using Devuan(Linux) combined with X-Forwarding from a RaspberryPi via ethernet and it works great .. giving a new life for the J720. Perhaps the MP900 with its 400Mhz cpu may do the job adequately independently...at least judging how well it performs with Opera in WinCE.net mode.

I suspect if apm command is not working then probably need a different driver. Someone around here must know the MP900 hardware.

good luck,

joval

Edited by joval 2021-05-23 3:26 AM
 Top of the page
koshman Page Icon Posted 2021-05-24 8:48 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Yes, I love the keyboard Jornada's isn't bad either just a bit too small.

As far as I know on the MP you also have to start Linux by running a bootloader from within CE, there have been some attempts at flashing bootloader in the ROM but none complete AFAIK. Though interestingly from JLime on the MP you can simply reset either via a command or pressing the device reset button to get back to the CE without having to remove the battery - that's pretty convenient compared to Jornada where I believe the battery needs to be removed.

In terms of speed I was pleasantly surprised - the MP feels so much snappier than Jornada with Devuan. And I mean pure console stuff so certainly the RAM size shouldn't matter nor any video output differences, it just feels a lot more responsive. Hard to say whether that's the CPU performance difference or simply the newer 3.16.81 kernel on the Jornada and associated software are that much heavier - I guess it's a combination of both. The MP JLime unfortunately still runs on the super old 2.6.24 kernel.
As for browsing I'm not planning to use any graphical browsers natively though I guess for something like Wikipedia Dillo or Midori might work in a pinch.

I'll see if I can find anything regarding the MPs power management under Linux, that is the last crucial piece for me I would say...
 Top of the page
_dev-null Page Icon Posted 2021-05-24 7:21 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Hi!
You can compile a newer Kernel ... There is still a CONFIG_MACH_MP900C left. This default config should get you close to a booting Kernel (in theory).

Sadly, I have no MP900 to get things going ...

Stefan
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-05-25 4:03 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

_dev-null - 2021-05-24 11:21 AM

Hi!
You can compile a newer Kernel ... There is still a CONFIG_MACH_MP900C left. This default config should get you close to a booting Kernel (in theory).

Sadly, I have no MP900 to get things going ...

Stefan

Hi Stefan!

I have a number of MP900/900c's. One has no touch screen (removed was cracked) and needs the screen diffuser/back reflector sheet replaced as they were damaged--- I have parts from another lcd screen I am going to replace those with...someday. It's usable as it is, but screen looks bad. A usb mouse can substitute for touch screen. It has a few defective keys like "_, but you can use alt-x ascii code. and backup battery circuit is defective. Should work just fine for your use experimenting with Jlime upgrade.

I would be willing to consider trading for one of your J720's or parts... I need lower case (2 pieces) for a MoBo I have, a keyboard or just a few keys that I accidently melted,( hair drier didi it) and a screen with touchscreen function (one J720 touchscreen not working.) I need the main J720 battery, I can rebuild it too. Stuff like that...

I'm not likely to have it(MP900C) fixed"good enough"anytime soon, I don't have any idea what shipping to/from California will run. It's not like you need another Devuan Linux project right now either.... but perhaps a little later we can work something out. I would include an Ambicom WL 54 wpa wifi card with it.

What say you??

joval

from my J720/Devuan/Ethernet/RasPi hybrid "treasure"
 Top of the page
_dev-null Page Icon Posted 2021-05-25 8:51 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Hm. I am very tempted ...
There is even a driver for the USB Host controller that can be implemented (isp116x-hcd)
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-05-28 6:01 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

_dev-null - 2021-05-25 12:51 PM

Hm. I am very tempted ...
There is even a driver for the USB Host controller that can be implemented (isp116x-hcd)

Stefan... If You really are/get interested in porting Devuan/debian I will fix up the screen on that MP900c and "loan " it to you. Really!!
The MP900c has a working functional host USB port , so even if there is no touch screen, a usb mouse easily substitutes.CMonex included a driver patch for it It reads thumb drives, etc. too. That's in WinCE.Net not linux, but NO circuit hacking should be needed.!!

I have quite a number of Jornada 720's and don't really need another , but one is short a few parts which you mentioned you would sell earlier. Cheapest postage is about $24 for 1 lb package. Main battery ( can be old..I can rebuild),bottom case (2 pieces), I think I can 3- D print the power and esc keys I melted so don't need full keyboard.
This is all optional because I will Loan you the MP900 if you prefer. I'm not using it now, and you are such a capable talented soul ... it's fun to temp you!!!

joval
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2021-05-30 12:05 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Just wondering, but if getting one of these to work, it might help?

https://www.2daygeek.com/check-laptop-battery-status-and-charging-st...
 Top of the page
sroland81 Page Icon Posted 2023-04-07 6:27 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Junior)

Hi, does anyone have power management running in JLime for the MP900? Or any idea of what is the latest version of userland files for it? I recently installed JLime on mine and have not any power management, so device cannot suspend. This is quite an issue for me. Thanks for any help
 Top of the page
sroland81 Page Icon Posted 2023-12-04 12:58 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Junior)

I have rebuilt the MP900 batteries (2 of them) with new good quality Sanyo cells. I noticed that the device gets completely discharged after like 2 weeks of suspend. Is this normal? maybe the battery is drains somehow? some electronic component failing? I'd appreciate any ideas.

Best regards.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2023-12-04 7:44 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Many Handheld PCs I own does something like that.

It seems to consume some watts of electricity while it's off, since it's not completely off, and you need the backup battery for it to not erase data after some non-use. The backup battery won't probably last very long, it's only temporary.
 Top of the page
AximUser Page Icon Posted 2023-12-04 4:16 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Maybe removing a CF card could reduce power consumption when device is not in use?
 Top of the page
sroland81 Page Icon Posted 2023-12-06 6:04 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Junior)

I'll try the CF card removal. Thanks!
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 11