x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

MP900c: Tips and Tricks

1 2 3 4
joval Page Icon Posted 2022-05-31 2:28 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

C:Amie - 2022-05-24 12:32 PM

Support > H/PC:Update

C:Amie,

Just to clarify things ...

I see we have two different sources for the MP900 Cmonex v4.2 upgrade... there are differences.

1). The "CE 4.2 ROM Image + Boot loader P530_42 2.02 + 4.10BL" self extracting file.

This one you recommended posted in the HPCFactor Download section under ROM images along with your instructions) contains several additional files/images. AFAIK, the extra files allow the user to revert back to the Previous HPC2000 bootloader by renaming it. Also includes a backup program. When combined with the 2nd "HPC2000 ROM Image P530 v6.0" ROM image you can get your HPC2000 OS back (not that you'd want to).
Includes:

Backup_CE42_NEC program for backing up MP900c, doesn't seem to work IMO.

basic42XIP.BIN.bak
... Stock CE4.2 (without Cmonex's apps and improvements), rename it to XIP.BIN to use it (after naming Cmonex's to XIPbak.bin or such).

SABOOT.NB0 Cmonex states this file is mandatory if bootloader is NOT 4.1 ... As I recall, I've upgraded MP900 without it but had to do the C + F Key combo on reboot from the" Black screen" to complete the process.

UPDATE.exe
UPDBL.NB0 ... bootloader 4.1 image
updblHPC.nb0 ... original HPC2000 bootloader... rename it to UPDBL.NB0 to revert back
XIP.BIN ... Cmonex image

2). The http://repository.hpcfactor.com/public/cmonex/ ) as "XIP_CMONEX_V2_0.zip" has fewer files, just the 3 as mentioned earlier and the extra gwes-mouse driver file:

UPDATE.exe ..... starts the update beginning first with bootloader, then V2.0 Rom Image
UPDBL.NB0 ...... contains the new bootloader 4.1 image
XIP.Bin .............contains the new CMonex_V2.0 image

This zip file lacks the SABOOT.NB0 file so you might be better off including it if you have an exotic bootloader, otherwise the" press C+F key combo + plug in AC power" may be needed for MP900 on reboot. I'll experiment and get back...

******Clarification*******
FYI, Any FAT32 CF card of proper size should work, FAT16 format is NOT required either, but order of files is important as listed above.

AFAIK, reverting back to HPC2000 OS requires reverting back to the HPC2000 bootloader too... will check it out sometime.

Rich,

You know this stuff better than I as you used to cook things up with the ROM kitchen... can you add anything here? Thanks in advance

Hope this helps... clarify >> confuse.

best regards,
Joval

Edited by joval 2022-05-31 2:59 AM
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2022-06-05 5:15 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

FYI... Just a reminder that the WRP proxy running on a fast windows laptop (fast graphics GPU most important ) works well on the MP900/c as viewed on the stock IE6? browser, which I'm using now to post this..... joval on MP900 +WPAwifi+WRP proxy

Edited by joval 2022-06-05 5:22 PM
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2022-06-05 5:38 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

I think the MP900/c is a bit nicer to use along with the WRP proxyIt has a superior keyboard of course and more memory so I think it can render longer web pages....this offsets some of the extra work involved in posting on websites... as WRP acts as a browser within a browser... anyway, seems that way to me... very useable with the MP900 and seems much less tedious than with the Jornada 720 or 680/690. Just wish I could figure out the line spacing/ return ...and of course I need to write up a CSD? on how to set it up.... joval
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2022-06-05 5:55 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

My recommendation would be to use WRP proxy with the MP900/c as it is less tedious overall than the Jornadas.... for the Jornada720/728 I recommend using Devuan-Linux and RasPi4 VNC. Also, since with WRP you have to type your comments within a box within the browser in a browser... always best to ctrl+ c tto copy your text before hitting refresh key... otherwise if there is a glitch you can lose your words of insight and wisdom
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2022-06-05 6:26 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

as you can see though WRP does a good job of allowing message posting. Unfortunately, the RasPi 4 is so slow with WRP that I can't recommend it, however RasPi3 or 4 work super with J720 and Devuan Linux. Fortunately, if not mercifully, for the reader, WRP does tend to keep my posts much, much shorter!
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2022-06-05 9:38 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Opera 5 mini is superior to IE +WRP in that it is "stand alone" for access to the web (doesn't require a separate proxy server running at home somewhere in the shadows. Just plug in a cheap Ambicom 54WL CF sized WPA wifi card, set your router to WPA/WPA2 access... and you're good to go!l If you use the tricks I've mentioned earlier you can keep it from hogging the GUI so you can run other apps. It's fast and has much higher color resolution so is great for viewing Wikipedia article and the like.

However reCaptcha logins are not possible... thus HPC:Factor is only available in for viewing......and ... unfortunately, it's unable to run modern scripts, so many newer web pages aren't rendered. Here is WRP shines... even though it is slower, with only 256 color... it's text box allows logging into those more secure sites......

The best option, IMO is to run both simutaneously if a WRP proxy server is available... as I am doing now! I am writing the post in Pocket word (Cmonex 4.2 v2 ROM) and then copy paste into text box of WRP browser (about 5 lines of text at a time) window.

You know you love the MP900/c keyboard so-o-o-o much better than that damn Tablet touchscreen!!!! So, it's a good tool especially for writers, bloggers, those with logorrhea (what moi?)...

joval via MP900/WRP

(line spacing added / edited via laptop after posting)

Edited by joval 2022-06-05 9:50 PM
 Top of the page
rgisondi Page Icon Posted 2022-06-12 5:39 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hi Joval just a question on wrp: to make it works have the server and the client be connected to the same router? I suppose yes. But what about if the two devices are connected to the same network by a VPN? Could wrp run as well?
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2022-06-13 3:15 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

rgisondi - 2022-06-12 9:39 AM

Hi Joval just a question on wrp: to make it works have the server and the client be connected to the same router? I suppose yes. But what about if the two devices are connected to the same network by a VPN? Could wrp run as well?

Yes, I am running WRP proxy on my fast windows10 laptop( functions as the "server" with fast GPU/ graphics card which connects via WPA2 to my linksys router set in WPA/WPA2 security mode and the MP900/c connects to that router via WPA security mode (using Ambicom 54WL , or Netgear MA 401, or Linksys WPC11... all are capable of WPA). Then open the Internet explorer on the MP900 and type your Laptop(server) ip+ port number in the url address bar. example 192.168.2.5:8080

You can try a RaspberryPi 4 as WRP "server" but graphics are so slow (takes 30 -60 seconds vs 10 seconds on fast laptop) because the WRP program takes a Screen Snapshot of the Https:// webpage and saves it as compressed image/graphics file downloaded as Http:// file. Thus takes time to compress and then decompress which a good GPU/graphics card facilitates'

Now you can change the server port to anything you like, not just :8080, and can run several WRP windows each with a different port:7777, :1026, etc if you want to browse more that one website at a time. FInd WRP here: https://github.com/tenox7/wrp

Joval
 Top of the page
rgisondi Page Icon Posted 2022-06-13 11:56 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

It seems to work also if the two device are connected by VPN.

I put the server device online by my home router wifi and the client with 3g. Then I directed both to my intranet network by VPN and wrp worked.

Now the problem is to set up the VPN connection on the HPC.

On my modern device I use forticlient. There was an old version of that app also for wince but I cannot find it. The network parameters that my company provided me to set the VPN doesn't fit into the old vpn default settings of the j728 or NEC 900C.

Later on I will try with some online VPN service that claim to be compatible with windows ce settings.

Edited by rgisondi 2022-06-13 11:57 AM
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2024-02-29 4:32 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Seems I've been trying to reinvent the wheel..... I forgot completely this excellent informational thread I started some time ago! Even I had forgotten many of the useful tricks herein. This is a must read for any of you MP900 owners, at the very least a good review, as it is for moi. Hey, it's fun tooting my own horn when the product is so outstanding. Humble pie included with each serving...haha.. Now I'm favoring ethernet to high speed WPA2 secure Wifi vs the AmbicomWL54 cf wifi card with WPA... so you know a showdown comparison is likely to thrill you all in the future!........ Google mail in opera doesn't seem to be working now and I'm wondering if its my 2 factor log in requirement or google... the classic is it us or them dilemma. I investigate further. Hey, maybe that sensei title ain't a misnomer afterall C'Amie! from Joval via MP900/ethernet to WPA2 wifi adapter/WRT proxy today

Edited by joval 2024-02-29 4:55 PM
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2024-02-29 5:18 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

One other point.... although it took a little time and effort to log into HPC:Factor, especially it past the captcha valley of death.... once I'm logged in the HPCFactors server remembers and no repeat login is necessary even if I turn off things on my end for hours, maybe days. C'Amie , the brilliant mastermind who keeps this site running... and clients civil (not even an occasional food fight) is the man in the know who can probably lift our veil of ignorance on the matter...n'est-ce pas?
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2024-04-05 7:03 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Check out this cheap ethernet to secure WPA2 wifi set up... completely powered by the MP900c usb port and pcmcia slot. Fully mobile, battery lasts about 1 to 1.5 hours, everything turns off with MP900 power button. More compact versions are possible with smaller dongles, but you get the idea. Super cheapo way to get online!

This link might help those interested: https://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=21294&po...

Images shown are ethernet to WPA2 wifi connecting to WRP ( web rendered proxy running on home mini pc) Link: https://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=20407&st...

Edited by joval 2024-04-05 7:35 PM

(MP900Eth2wifi.jpg)

(MP900eth2wifii.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments MP900Eth2wifi.jpg (421KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments MP900eth2wifii.jpg (319KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 11